Pabst Brewery and Mansion

I always spend a day or two cruising and admiring these surviving beauties. It is very refreshing to see the craftsmanship and design from more than a century ago when everything was made by hand. No power tools. Horses and mules and block and tackle raised these buildings.

1895 Schlitz tied warehouse.

FB_IMG_1551300419932.jpg

A lot of old building have ghost signs (advertising) painted on the buildings. A lot of times the paint fades and you see the signs that were on the buildings 100 years ago. Look at the area left and right above the door.

FB_IMG_1550967123410.jpg

1890 Miller tied bar. I've been in this place hundreds of times. The cupola is no longer on the building.
FB_IMG_1551195534894.jpg

When I look at this architecture in this thread, it amazes me how skilled the craftsmen were in their trade back then, as compared today when you'd be lucky to find a plumbed wall in a new home.
This is inside the Catholic church in Dayton our family went to every Sunday where I was an alter boy when I was young. My dad, still goes there.
Could you imagine being a carpenter at the top of a scaffold near the ceiling when it was under construction, and realize you need to climb back down because he forgot a certain tool?
Emmanual.jpg

Back