Paint marks on 8 3/4 carrier

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just picked this up last week and because I'm a geek when it comes to these things I am wondering if anybody knows what these white and yellow marks mean. I thought I knew what they were but I can't confirm now. I thought the white 3 digit was the last 3 of the part number that would also be found on the build sheet but this particular one is not in my decoder book. This one is also curious that it doesn't have the standard date code cast into it like every other one that I've seen.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

After watching a few episodes of Graveyard Carz, which I cannot bear the cast for more than 18 minutes, those marks are made on the assembly line to signify a step has been completed. An example given was ensuring the correct lube was added to a sure grip etc. Specifically, I cannot say which mark means what but that is what Mark Worman says when he is full of hisself. P.S., don't bother emailing him with a question...........

Mark Worman says when he is full of hisself. P.S., don't bother emailing him with a question...........
No worries there, thanks.
I've gotten a lot of info off the net but nothing on the "126".

No worries there, thanks.
I've gotten a lot of info off the net but nothing on the "126".

Likely the axle assembly code that matches the BS. I don't know exactly what 126 indicates but I have a gut feel it is out of a 72/73 car.

My carrier has a casting date and an assembly (?) date stamped on it. Is there a date code on yours?

What are the date codes on the ring gear?

125_Axle_Assembly.jpg

Rear_end_450_casting_Date.jpg

Carrier_text_550.jpg

Rear_end_3_500.jpg

I'm thinking the date is seen in my top pic where it says 3 6 72 but it's not in the usual place or style that I see on these. I do think the ring is dated '72 and it's a 3.55 sure grip but I'll verify that tomorrow. Thanks Doug!

While we're at it, what about this one? I'm glad you confirmed the white numbers are the last 3 of the part number also found on the build sheet, that's what I thought. My code book is obviously not complete and this ones date code is in the usual style and location.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It looks more like 1763 but I'll verify that this morning too.
The ring is dated 7-18-73 which is in line with the 1763 date code. I just wonder what the 724 is and what it came out of. I know it doesn't really matter but it's just the geek in me...

Likely the axle assembly code that matches the BS. I don't know exactly what 126 indicates but I have a gut feel it is out of a 72/73 car.

My carrier has a casting date and an assembly (?) date stamped on it. Is there a date code on yours?

What are the date codes on the ring gear?
The date on the ring gear is 11-2-71 and the pinion is 9-29-71 and the carrier is 3-26-72. This one was alleged to be NOS before a really short stint in an E body and it does look new. The sure grip/ring & pinion and the carrier may not have started life together.

The ring is dated 7-18-73 which is in line with the 1763 date code. I just wonder what the 724 is and what it came out of. I know it doesn't really matter but it's just the geek in me...

Hmmm....the '73 production year ran 'long' (into August of '73) meaning this could be out of a very late '73 model or a '74.

Don't know. I'll keep digging.

Hey Matt,
I found another one today, rear axel, any other that I should be aware or look for? I don't want to "erase" anything that is still there. Swweeett New Yorker convert. Paint code GY5?
Greg

028.jpg

028.jpg

That's quite a mark on that axle! I'm sure it has nothing to do with the paint code though. What year is your vert and have we seen it yet?

Back