Pertronix trouble shooting

Did this unit come with a green thick type weird looking type washer/spacer thing? Do you have that installed correctly onto the rotor? Just spitballin with ideas.

I tried and failed at a new approach. I bypassed the ballast and bridged it together and then went straight positive negative into the coil. Still no start. I wouldn't call it a washer per say, there is plastic ring with a green strip around it that you gap .030 to the magnet.

Just tried to do the screw driver in the spark plug wire and hold it to the manifold to get an arch. Not seeing anything

Ok so we're not dealing with out of time situation yet. So either you have no power to the pertronix unit, or the reluctor isn't getting signal to fire. I'm assuming known good coil of course. Or you hooked up the pertronix unit backwards and let the blue smoke out.

Have a test light or a multi meter?

So I pulled the ignition coil wire from the distributor and held it to the manifold and other areas I could reach. No spark. Went to the Local auto store and bought a stock ignition coil. Fired right up. What are the chances I just conveniently blew my old one but whatever. Resolved. Thanks everyone. Any thoughts if I should return this coil and buy the flame thrower ii Coil?

Take it for a drive, if you’re satisfied with the way it runs, leave it alone!

Also, if it’s not running to suit you, a flame throwing coil isn’t going to change a thing.

I'll take the advice and just leave this new stock coil in. Just did my maiden voyage with it. Not really impressed. Isn't starting as smooth as maybe I expected. Made a few stops and a couple times took way more cranks than I'm comfortable with.

Would that plate potentially smooth out my starting ? $17 is nothing.
I can’t make any promises. I think today’s gas boils easily when you stop for a few minutes. It’s called percolating. This might stop some of the heat transfer.

Its just one thing after another with me. Car was running fine before this "upgrade". Did my maiden voyage. Ran Fine but starting takes longer than I expected. Took it back home. About to go back out and now its barely idling, I know I need to do some adjustments but read a ton of reviews that this is usually plug and play.

Its just one thing after another with me. Car was running fine before this "upgrade". Did my maiden voyage. Ran Fine but starting takes longer than I expected. Took it back home. About to go back out and now its barely idling, I know I need to do some adjustments but read a ton of reviews that this is usually plug and play.
I can’t say for sure and, I don’t know if all our members are experiencing the same thing in their area. But, in my neck of the woods, carb guys are percolating problems lately.

You should at the very least re-time it.

Back