Pertronix trouble shooting

I hooked up the red wire to the left side of the coil and the black wire to the right side. I didn't bypass anything, just a simple setup. Are you able to tell from pic if I did anything wrong?

STOP! This statement means nothing if you hooked them up backwards. Are you sure the red is on the + side or not? Forget everything else to this point until you can confirm that! Good Luck

Stubs,
The diagram provided a couple replies back clears up EVERYTHING for me. I'm fully confident at this point. Had I had that at the beginning I wouldn't be here at all. I'll report back when done.

20190503_104434-jpg.jpg

The wire in your circle is actually dark blue and that is the feed coming from the ignition switch ballast resistor.

The red wire AND this wire goes to the + terminal

Black wire to the other.

You have the red and the black wire switched. Switch them and the car will start.

Thanks Big John,
I did realize that after all the replies. Thanks for being patient with me.

Well hell. Felt all super confident and completely failed. I've double triple confirmed the negative is going to the negative on the coil. The ignition wire is hooked up to the positive. I extended the positive wire from the igniter and tar it over to the ballast. I've tried connecting it to both sides. And it just cranks without starting. I have not tried pulling the wires out of the ballast and bypassing by connecting them together as im not fully confident I'd be doing it properly. Have a friend coming over tomorrow to look. What a pain the ***. This is my life.

The blue wire in the circle... Is the red wire and that blue wire on the same terminal now?

I'm wondering if you fried it by hooking it up backwards. I'm not talking about the + or - on the coil... The wire from the ballast resistor was already there. From the picture, the Pertronix is hooked up wrong.

Did you just switch the wires?

The original picture is wrong. I corrected it. I don't think it was even getting power the first way. But it's possible I guess it's blown.

Here is how this needs to be hooked up.

Red wire and existing blue wire to + terminal.

Black wire to - terminal.

Per wire.jpg

See the blue wire in the above drawing? That is the wire you are calling "black" in this picture.

20190503_104434-jpg-jpg.jpg

Dude use a light bulb pick to check positively which one has positive power w key on. If this is hooked up backward even for a minute it can roach the ecu or ecm ? er The pertronix deal that bolts under the cap. If it’s hooked up backwards long enough it can burn up like an old jiffy pop and it expands like a marshmallow left by the fire too long. Be careful man you can waste 68 bucks real quick if this happens. Good luck I hope you get this sorted out without too much more trouble. Hang in there.

Remember, If all our project cars never started again after we tinkered with them. The roads would be clogged with abandoned projects. You’ll whip it bud!!

Not sure what I can correct. I'll get a second set of eyes on it. I have the black coming from the ingniter going to the negative on the coil. The "blue" wire is hooked up to the positive on the coil. The red wire from the igniter bypasses the coil and goes to the ballest resister. I've tried hooking it up on both sides of it. I popped the cap off to double check how things look. Unless it's fried I feel like its set up right.

Not sure what I can correct. I'll get a second set of eyes on it. I have the black coming from the ingniter going to the negative on the coil. The "blue" wire is hooked up to the positive on the coil. The red wire from the igniter bypasses the coil and goes to the ballest resister. I've tried hooking it up on both sides of it. I popped the cap off to double check how things look. Unless it's fried I feel like its set up right.
Did you set the gap with that little clear bar? If the gap isn’t correct it’ll spin and not start just like points.

Try this.

Black Pertronix Wire to the Negative side of the coil.
Blue Ignition Wire and Red Pertronix wire to the Positive side of the coil.
Leave the Ballast Resistor connected as it was/has been.

OK. Think I got it. Let me clarify where I stand. When I disconnected the points it had one wire attached to it with a red tip, connected to the left side of the coil. I'm assuming that is the positive on the coil. I'm not seeing a designation on the coil of pos or neg. I did not disconnect anything other than that one wire from the coil. so I take the black wire from the ignitor and plug it onto the right side of the coil, which is the negative. I then bypass the positive side of the coil, add a wire extension onto the red positive of the ignitor and run it to the ballast resister and hook it up to the 12 v side of the resister and I should be good to go? That sound right?

edit. I see you mentioned the coil should state + or -. I'm working in a dark garage so I'll look a little closer and make sure I'm hooking it up properly.
OK here is why it is not working. The wire that came from the distributor even though it is red goes to the negative side of the coil, that is where the black wire from the Petronix goes, the red wire goes on the positive side of the coil. The coil should be marked by the terminals. The ballast resistor needs to be bypassed, The unit likes 12VDC to run. Either put the two terminals together or splice the wires together or what most do is take the ballast off and jump it from the back if you can INSIDE the ceramic housing. Then it should run fine. Hope it helps.

Try this.

Black Pertronix Wire to the Negative side of the coil.
Blue Ignition Wire and Red Pertronix wire to the Positive side of the coil.
Leave the Ballast Resistor connected as it was/has been.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

If you have the red wire hooked to the wrong side of the ballast resistor, it's not gonna start.

Just looked at the Pertronix site and the Ignitor II has "reverse polarity and over current protection". That should mean that if you hooked it up backwards, then shouldn't be fried.

Pertronix has the instructions 100% correct. It is the easiest way to wire it. Optimally, you should be bypassing the ballast resistor, and that is easily done by putting a jumper wire between the two wires that hook to the ballast resistor. But that's not important right now as the car will still start with the ballast resistor in the circuit. Take any wires that you've added to the ballast resistor out and wire directly to the coil.

Here's how it works... We'll start at the ignition key. Turn it to the far right to start the car. That sends 12 volts directly to the coil. The car starts and you let the key off to "run" position. That sends 12 volts to the ballast resistor and the current runs through the ballast resistor to the ignition coil. When the current runs through the ballast resistor, it drops the amount of current down to make it easier on the coil and breaker points, but at the "start" position, we want as much current running to the coil as possible for the hottest spark.

So... Bypassing the ballast resistor is all good for your new Pertronix system in the ignition "run" position, but since you aren't starting at all, and the ballast isn't used when in the "start" position, that says it's just wired wrong.

One question that should have been asked... Did you leave the distributor in the car when you did the conversion?

Just trying to second guess what has transpired.

Just a side note.. while you’re doing any wiring, unhook the battery. Then triple check you’re work before you hook it back up.

Back