Phantom C bodies

Love the idea of a convertible or retractable hardtop C as mentioned above. I would’ve like to see T-top option on the 74-78 Cbody coupes.. like the Doba’s and Caddy El Dorado had and also square headlights like the Caddy, Olds and Buick boats had.. just couple thoughts.. my 77 has the sunroof option and it’s quite large I say in comparison, I love driving it with everything Open.

Stop spreading old wives tales about six paks and their poor reliability.
In reality a six pak is very fuel efficient, will out run it's 4bbl equal and are very very reliable as long as there is not an idiot on the other end of the screwdriver and wrench.

Tom Hoover - remember him? - said many times at the seminars he used to give - that the six pak was efficient, powerful and worked better on a hemi than 2-4's. Not a wives tale, lot's of folks were at those seminars back in the 80's. There is still video in peoples possession from back then...and no you won't see it on YT. He also talked about the 4bbl intake for the 72 hemi engine and the research they did on the 72 hemi. That manifold actually exists and could be purchased from direct connection. It even has a provision for heat tubes for manifold heat...

What about that 300 rag top with the hemi? How did that get in there?
NO "old wives' tales", just experiences from people in our Mopar club. One had a fully-restored daily driver '70 'Cuda 440+6/TF/3.54 SG for his daily driver in the middle 1980s. Another guy had a '69 Super Bee 440 Six Pack that he raced in the Factory Stock class of the vintage drags, very successfully. Both knew their way around the 3x2bbl set-up. I heard the Super Bee pop the power valve when it started one day. Somewhat typical "spit-back" while starting, nothing major. Just a bit of difference in the idle, but it all had to come apart to get the center carb off. Certainly more work than a 1x4bbl, with the same issue.

A similar set-up had been on Ford T-bird 390s and later Galaxie/Monterey 406s in the earlier 1960s. Yet any Holley carb from back then had a reputation of having poor gaskets and related fuel leaks. Which resulted in the local dealer swapping many OEM Chrysler Holleys out for AFBs or AVS carbs, back then. BTAIM

Yet the Chry and Ford 3x2 induction systems looked impressive (especially the Chry version) and screamed "power". With 950cfm total airflow available.

I know whom Mr. Hoover is and respect his work, contributrions, and orientations.

Respectfully,
CBODY67

I have a soft spot for wagons and love hardtops, so a Fuselage HT wagon would be my dream C-Body. I managed to build one - with photoshop at least. :)

View attachment 510412
I like it a lot. I would perhaps black out the C pillar for a modern look:

1642684254756.png

75 Imperial convertible......

View attachment 510408
Always wanted to get a 1973 Cadillac Eldorado convertible for my collection, but after seeing this photo, my Sawzall and welding rod are calling. LOL
Are there more photos of the Imperial, and do any actually exist?
Found this photo of a hardtop Eldo with a 78? Formal next to it, now it's not just my imagination.
eldo and ny'er.jpg

I also always loved the look of Chrysler wagons, and apparently it was not difficult to swap front ends from Formals to the wagons.
Here
Chrysler-Imperial-wagon-76.jpg
wag2.jpg
wag.jpg

NO "old wives' tales", just experiences from people in our Mopar club. One had a fully-restored daily driver '70 'Cuda 440+6/TF/3.54 SG for his daily driver in the middle 1980s. Another guy had a '69 Super Bee 440 Six Pack that he raced in the Factory Stock class of the vintage drags, very successfully. Both knew their way around the 3x2bbl set-up. I heard the Super Bee pop the power valve when it started one day. Somewhat typical "spit-back" while starting, nothing major. Just a bit of difference in the idle, but it all had to come apart to get the center carb off. Certainly more work than a 1x4bbl, with the same issue.
Sorry, but that really is an "old wives' tale". First, there is a simple mod that involves installing a check ball in the base plate to stop the backfire failures.

Second, if the car is set up and running right, you won't backfire on starting.

I'm probably the only guy you will ever meet that personally put over 80K miles on his A12 Roadrunner and yea, I popped one once. Pretty simple to fix, remove the front carb, float bowl and metering block on the main carb and that's it. That's the only time I ever had to lay a wrench to the carbs, except for a couple times pulling them down over the years to replace gaskets because it was time.

So, other than the myth of popped power valves that went away years ago, there's nothing magic or mystical about them. Almost all the problems I've ever seen with the carbs has been either ignition related (and blamed on the carbs) or owner related in that they had no business ever touching a carb. I find the same to be true with a lot of Thermoquads also.

Why do all the dream C bodies have to be high performance Hemi 4 speeds? The Hemi is kind of useless in these cars for long distance cruising, and I will never understand why you all want to "work" at driving a luxury vehicle with a manual transmission.

My choice is a Hurst with a convertible option , convertible '71 300 and package choices that include the Imperial interior, or special Cordoba option for all Newport, 300 and New Yorker for the Fuselage years.

Last edited:
I thought this "factory" Hemi Hurst convertible story was debunked long ago on this site. Let's see the build sheet or fender tag. Although I think McCloud is the previous owner of the real and only Hurst convertible, I'm raising the BS flag on this article, but as a Phantom C and in the spirit of the thread, I'll give it the thumb up, lol.

I thought this "factory" Hemi Hurst convertible story was debunked long ago on this site. Let's see the build sheet or fender tag. Although I think McCloud is the previous owner of the real and only Hurst convertible, I'm raising the BS flag on this article, but as a Phantom C and in the spirit of the thread, I'll give it the thumb up, lol.
I remember reading about this car (must the same one!) that the Hemi was actually dealer installed, not done at the factory.

Perhaps this is the thread you are thinking of.

Here is a quote from the auction that was linked in the post:
There was also one other “special built” Chrysler Convertible. However, this car had a black interior, was born a T code 350 HP engine, and received a dealer transplanted Hemi engine, so it was not a true 300 Hurst Convertible.

A little off topic, but a metric charger coupe would be cool.... I still don't get why everyone wants a 4-door these days.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that really is an "old wives' tale". First, there is a simple mod that involves installing a check ball in the base plate to stop the backfire failures.

Second, if the car is set up and running right, you won't backfire on starting.

I'm probably the only guy you will ever meet that personally put over 80K miles on his A12 Roadrunner and yea, I popped one once. Pretty simple to fix, remove the front carb, float bowl and metering block on the main carb and that's it. That's the only time I ever had to lay a wrench to the carbs, except for a couple times pulling them down over the years to replace gaskets because it was time.

So, other than the myth of popped power valves that went away years ago, there's nothing magic or mystical about them. Almost all the problems I've ever seen with the carbs has been either ignition related (and blamed on the carbs) or owner related in that they had no business ever touching a carb. I find the same to be true with a lot of Thermoquads also.
I never owned one myself but, I always thought the 6 packs should be pretty reliable. Problems I heard back in my youth could most be attributed to how hard they were used, high revs, racing ect, or lack of knowledge. Idle settings were all done on the center carb as I recall. If you ran one in a larger C body, with no more than a 3:23 I'd think it's be pretty fun when the other 4 bbl's kicked in.

A little off topic, but a metric charger coupe would be cool.... I still don't get why everyone wants a 4-door these days.
I'm guessing you either don't have kids or they are older. Today kids have to be in a car seat for years, and modern kids car seats are HUGE. Trying to put a car seat into the back of a 2-door is a PITA. Putting a small kid in/out of one back there isn't much better. Once they're old enough to move up to a booster seat it's not so bad.

Back