Phantom C bodies

Chances are good that the 300M emblems were cloisonné type enameled emblems. There's a pretty good chance I know where they were made, but there's no tooling or samples left there (I personally looked LOL)
Agreed that likely they were cloisonne - I researched home-brewed methods for that before I made my doorpanel emblems but the closest I found was Makit-Bakit.

Friggin Big John trying to class this place up with his fancy Fraçais...

Great info though. I'd love to see the actual badges but I figured one of you guys would've posted a pic by now if a pic existed.
Hey, I can even pronounce it correctly....

Actually, cloisonné is a generic term... The car emblems are actually champlevé where the base material is stamped, but that's another subject...

Chrysler300-A.jpg

Phantom you said...

Sitting like that with blackwalls, I never would've imagined how good that looks.
That thing looks so sinister, so macho, so purposeful, so je ne sais pas.
I don't think it would work if it had any other wheelcover on it, either.

I have a soft spot for wagons and love hardtops, so a Fuselage HT wagon would be my dream C-Body. I managed to build one - with photoshop at least. :)

View attachment 510412
Oh man, that’s gorgeous. I have fantasized about an alternate universe where Ma Mopar created a Formal version of same.

Elegance aside, this would have made them distinct from Plymouth.

The street Hemi is a lot of hype. Great engines, but you needed to keep up on them to keep them fast... and then a lot of guys couldn't get them to run right no matter what. I've only known a couple guys that could get the street hemi cars to run like they should.

It's been my experience that a good running 440 will usually beat a street Hemi car. (been there, done that) Given the need to wrench on the Hemi more frequently, the logical choice is to build a 440 with a ton of torque for the heavy C-Body.

The guys that believe the Hemi hype have probably never driven one.
I imagined a 1966 300M with an optional Hemi - as a “Spring Special,” but after reading this, a 440 TNT woulda been just fine! The fact that they dropped the letter series at the end of 1965 has always left me feeling slighted because I was born in ’66, and my last name begins with “M.”

I imagined a 1966 300M with an optional Hemi - as a “Spring Special,” but after reading this, a 440 TNT woulda been just fine! The fact that they dropped the letter series at the end of 1965 has always left me feeling slighted because I was born in ’66, and my last name begins with “M.”
Same for me born in '66 and initials MM

I started one over 40 years ago, but Life got in the way. It is still in the garage buried under a lot of crap.
It was a 1966 Town & Country wagon cut off into a pickup like an El Camino. Pretty much Gerald's Dream, without the fancy power plant. It needs major support underneath. I was going to drop it over a 4WD pickup Truck frame for strength, but I think it would look better at the stock height. The entire front end is clean with no rust or dents. The floor has a clean patch riveted in front of the driver seat, and now the entire floor is rust free. I have a console shifter from a '69 Charger and the original bucket seats. I also have the doors from a 2-door '66 Newport that I was going to try and incorporate into it. I moved the rear electric window up to where the C-posts used to be. I posted some 40 year old pictures on my profile page. It has been buried in the Garage ever since, clean and dry.
I also have a pretty much complete '66 Chrysler T&C that I kept for parts after I totaled it. I had replaced the front end, but never got it back on the road. The front end fenders and hood have no dents, just some surface rust and may be salvageable and possibly the tailgate and one or two of the doors. Most of the rest of the body is rusted beyond any kind of repair from sitting outside. The front sub-frame is still in excellent condition. I still have most of the black interior panels from both vehicles, and extra chrome trim from the Newport.
I am at the point now where I have to get rid of both cars. I would love to see someone complete the job, but it is probably way beyond what most of us are capable of doing. It is likely only good for parts now. If anyone is interested, give a holler.
My dad’s first - and last - Ford was a ’69 Ranchero. He needed something that could haul hay, but a full-size pickup was larger than he wanted. He would’ve bought a Dodge version if they made one.

A Coronet-based ute would have looked really sharp, especially that late Sixties’ body. In keeping with the competitors’ naming theme, they could’ve called it a Durango. For C-P dealers: the Plymouth Pueblo.

My dad’s first - and last - Ford was a ’69 Ranchero. He needed something that could haul hay, but a full-size pickup was larger than he wanted. He would’ve bought a Dodge version if they made one.

A Coronet-based ute would have looked really sharp, especially that late Sixties’ body. In keeping with the competitors’ naming theme, they could’ve called it a Durango. For C-P dealers: the Plymouth Pueblo.
I never had a problem with Ford. I've owned 2. I have just always liked Chrysler more, so I own Chrysler cars and trucks.

I really liked the look of those mid-sixties Coronets also.
I still have this thing and will need to get rid of it before next winter as I am retiring to another state and can't take it with me.
I call her the "Chryslerado". Two almost complete 1966 T&C Wagons plus a lot of '66 Newport parts. One of them is outside and rusted beyond repair but has a lot of good parts. The "Chryslerado" has been buried in my garage since 1982 and has very little rust. Still have both 383's and 727 Trannys, but the 383 in the outside wagon is probably beyond practical resurrection. (freezeout plugs blown/rusted out.)
These scanned pictures are from 1981 before I moved to my current home and put it in the garage.
I still have all of the trim and other parts up in the loft and inside of the uncut wagon that is in my driveway.
I would really hate to send them to the boneyard after all of these years.

FrontLeftView402.jpgRearRightView212.jpgRightSideView511.jpg

I concur it would be a tragic, nigh criminal WASTE to send these FINE MACHINES any6where except to a home dedicated to their resurrection!@ I for one would DEARLY LOVE to have a "Chryslerado" or say a "Chranchero." You abide yet in the Mystic East?

I never had a problem with Ford. I've owned 2. I have just always liked Chrysler more, so I own Chrysler cars and trucks.

I drove Fords and liked them alright until 2004, when I had my Mopiphany with a '66 New Yorker. After that, I parked my '68 'Stang until need drove me to sell it for a pittance. The rear main seal on the 440 in that NYer blew the same day the pneumonia fever put me on what nearly proved to be my deathbed for several months of 2005, so I gave that fine machine up too.

The problem I have with most of these truck conversions is that they often start with a station wagon and use the front doors, where it probably would have the longer doors used on a 2-door.
The other problem is the roof line, the wagon had a taller roof than a hardtop and these would look more natural had they taken that in consideration. Lets not even get into vehicle selection to start with.

I have yet to see one of these conversions that looked as if it could have been a factory vehicle.

Alan

The problem I have with most of these truck conversions is that they often start with a station wagon and use the front doors, where it probably would have the longer doors used on a 2-door.
The other problem is the roof line, the wagon had a taller roof than a hardtop and these would look more natural had they taken that in consideration. Lets not even get into vehicle selection to start with.

I have yet to see one of these conversions that looked as if it could have been a factory vehicle.

Alan

You make a small aesthetic point or 2 here. If I were to convert a C body, I WOULD choose a 2 door for the job. Truth is, I've thought about such on our ragtop, but won't, as this prize is in too good condition for such a nasty conversion. I LIKE how I can use the well as a small cargo bed now, all the same. This space sure comes in handy for grocery runs, forklift skid rescue and such. I LOVED that 6 foot trunk behind Mathilda's passenger seat. If the rear of that car had been more solid steel instead of rust, thin garden sheetmetal, bondo and paint, I would have gone ahead with our first impulse, to repair it. There are PLENTY parts which I pick as needed, and I'm looking for another '66 C body, be sure.

I concur it would be a tragic, nigh criminal WASTE to send these FINE MACHINES any6where except to a home dedicated to their resurrection!@ I for one would DEARLY LOVE to have a "Chryslerado" or say a "Chranchero." You abide yet in the Mystic East?
I am still in NJ. I have everything you would have needed to fix the front end of Mathilda and build a "Chryslerado" with enough left over to sell for parts. I also have two decent longer doors from a 2-door Newport that I was going to try to use and the chrome door trim to go with them. Unfortunately I did not save the Newport B-posts. I had never considered measuring the roof line. I did the initial chop job in 1980 and worked on it for a few years as time and money allowed. I just never had enough of either to complete it. At this point in my life the amount of structural metal work needed to strengthen the frame and make the rear doors part of the rear quarter panels is way above my abilities and finances.

This is the parts car. Current pictures of the "Chryslerado" are impossible to get right now because it is buried in the garage behind a lot of other stuff and this one is in front of the garage.

1966 Newport Doors.jpg1966 T&C Parts Wagon-Left Front.jpg1966 T&C Parts Wagon-Right Front.jpg1966 T&C Parts Wagon-Left Rear.jpg

Chrysler did indeed put ac on a six pak, this would be called an engineering execise - to see if it would work. See photo. You know they fit a/c to a hemi car too - Chrysler Engineering! why wouldn't they?

You guys know who Ron McDaniel is? RIP Ron. Big time Chrysler guy. I knew Ron and talked for hours on end about those times and he told me oh yes they did indeed put a/c, cruise control etc in cars that weren't supposed to have it. Execs would take the car to the "chrysler garage" to get it done unless the assembly could manipulated to get the parts installed on the line. I found this pic on another web site.

I have seen some of the docs from the 80's on these oddball cars - sent to me by some one else who had copies of the paperwork - but i am not authorized to share - you got to be "authorized" to post pics of FT's and other documentation on here i have read. What in the paperwork - Hemi & 440+6 E-bodys with factory H51 - it's on the tag. I hope you all find my contribution blasphemy even though it is not...lol
noun
the action or offense of speaking sacrilegiously about sacred things
ac in an ebody q.jpg

Back