Pics of 69-73 C bodies

It's a regular 1972 Plymouth Fury two-door hardtop. There were no Fury coupes in 1972 anymore. What you might interpret as "B"-pillars are most likely the shoulder seat belts.

I'm still trying to get a grasp on the differences.

Before I pulled my PS pump for replacement....

johnnys.jpg

I'm still trying to get a grasp on the differences.

These are the standards that I have come to know. Different manufacturers sometimes break the rules for marketing purposes. For example, some makes are calling their four doors "coupes", such as the Mercedes CLS series (because the roofline slopes towards the rear). And I believe that Cadillac used to refer to their four door hardtops as sedans.

Coupe: a body style with two doors and a fixed roof, sometimes with a sloping rear roofline
Hardtop: body style with two or four doors and fixed roof without 'B' pillar ... Hardtop coupe = two-door hardtop

2-door sedan or 2-door post: A coupe with a 'B' pillar
4-door sedan: 4 doors & 'B' pillar

Last edited:
These are the standards that I have come to know. Different manufacturers sometimes break the rules for marketing purposes. For example, some makes are calling their four doors "coupes", such as the Mercedes CLS series (because the roofline slopes towards the rear). And I believe that Cadillac used to refer to their four door hardtops as sedans.

Coupe: a body style with two doors and a fixed roof, sometimes with a sloping rear roofline
Hardtop: body style with two or four doors and fixed roof without 'B' pillar ... Hardtop coupe = two-door hardtop

2-door sedan or 2-door post: A coupe with a 'B' pillar
4-door sedan: 4 doors & 'B' pillar

That's a very good description!

The meaning of the terms used are not set in stone. But concerning Mopars in the 1960's it is usually that a coupe would be a two-door with "B"-pillar and a more sporty roofline whereas a two-door sedan would also have a "B"-pillar but would have the same roofline as a four-door sedan.

Anything without a "B"-pillar would be a hardtop, so there were two-door hardtops and four-door hardtops in Mopar nomenclature.

So far, so good.

Beginning in 1965, Plymouth Fury two-door hardtops began to be available with two different rooflines (fast top and regular hardtop). At least from 1969 on, the one using a more sporty roofline with a more slanted rear window received body style designation 23 whereas the other used the roof shetmetal of the four-door hardtop (body style designation 29). Usually the 23 body style is referred to as the regular hardtop and the 29 body style as the formal hardtop.

The 1969 Fury I and II two-door with "B"-pillar featured the roofline from the four-door hardtop/29-style two-door hardtop and was both referred to as the two-door sedan as well as the two-door coupe in sales literature.

The 1970 Fury I and II two-door with "B"-pillar was basically the same car, but it was listed as the two-door sedan in sales literature only. That is, until the 1970 Fury "Gran Coupe" special arrived, wich was a well-equipped two-door sedan sporting the hidden headlight grille from the Sport Fury plus special upholstery and vinyl top material.

But still, anything without a "B"-pillar was considered a hardtop until then. It could have been so easy if not for the boys from Plymouth marketing...

Things got a little diffuse in 1971, when the cheapest Fury I was offered as what was called a two-door coupe. It was basically the 23-body style two-door hardtop with fixed quarter windows.

To make matters worse, the Fury "Gran Coupe" was offered only as a two-door hardtop and a four-door hardtop for 1971. Both available body styles for this special model were not a coupe in a classical sense.

The meaning of terms used further deteriorated for the 1972 model year. The Sport Fury name plate had been dropped and replaced with the Fury Gran Coupe and the Fury Gran Sedan, respectively. Both of these models featured no "B"-pillar and hence would have to be called a two-door hardtop and a four-door hardtop, like the identically bodied Fury II and III models were still called in a more consistent manner.

The method of offering two different roof lines for the two-door hardtops was continued in 1972, so both the Fuury III as well as the Gran Coupe could be had with the formal roof (which now used the roof sheetmetal from the four-door hardtop) or the regular two-door hardtop roof (which was unique to the two-door). No real Fury coupes (be it with an actual "B"-pillar or merely with fixed quarter windows) were offered for 1972 anymore. The four-door sedan still remained in the lineup, of course.

1973 did away with the offer of two different rooflines for the Fury two-door hardtops with only the "regular" one (uniquely for two-doors) remaining. Still, the top-of-the-line Fury model was the Gran Coupe/Gran Sedan, only being available as a two-door hardtop and a four-door hardtop, respectively.

Bah! That's definitely the end of the season :(

Thank goodness over here we still had one of the last sunny days today, giving me the opportunity to add a couple of extra miles to the odometer

20191031_151537.jpg

Tonight is our Annual Trunk or Treat at Aldersgate UMC! I've used the Newport and the Gremlin, but the Durango "Snoopy-mobile" will ride again this evening! I even
used my '95 T-Bird one year.

IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
20141031_170259.jpg

So that's a hardtop coupe?
Lurge is a 1972 Fury III
I show production #s for 1972 Fury III
PH23 Hardtop coupe 21,204
PH29 Formal top coupe 9036
Neither had a B-pillar, but difference is the c-pillar, rear window
Mine is a 23 body hardtop coupe
20191018_140422.jpg

20190927_140721.jpg

20190927_140733.jpg

If his is a hardtop coupe, it should look like mine. If PH29, rear window will look different. (Hollander shows reference number 3782 for the 72 Fury formal top rear glass and 3779 for hardtop rear glass.)
Also, I think PH23 has diagonal body contour behind rear wheel, while PH29 does not. At least, it looks that way from the factory sales brochure.
Someone with PH29 rear window pic could help.

Last edited:
Back