pictures of my harmonic balancer - advice?

spstan

Reaction score
I'm posting a couple of pictures of my harmonic balancer. They show a 1) cracks in the rubber ring 2) a rubber ring that is raised up (not flush) with the main body and 3) a hub that has an indented ring around it. My question; is this harmonic balancer terminal or is there still some life left in it? Should it be replaced?

The cost of rebuilding this balancer is around $140 plus shipping. My mechanic says he may have a used one he can sell me. Does anyone on this board have a used balancer in good condition I can buy? Thanks Paul

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Do you guys know of a replacement balancer available for this application that is that much cheaper?

This is an external balance cast crank motor with the weighted balancer.

I see 440 source and Mancini offer one but the price isn't far off the rebuild price at $120 and $135. I would bet that both of those are Chinese made and I see they both have a bolt on weight that I'm not real crazy about. Those are the only ones I know about for the cast crank 440.

While there are probably guys that will bolt any balancer on and send it, if it were me, I'd want the right one so there's no chance of engine vibration. Put an earlier balancer on and you'll have to modify the pully so it matches the offset hole in the dampener too... which is no big deal, but still will need to be done.

Save $20 and get a Chinese replacement with a Mickey Mouse bolt on weight or have the old one rebuilt that you know is right? I know what I would choose.... If a used one pops up, the rubber is going to be just as old and again, it has to be for a cast crank motor with the offset weight.

balancer.jpg

Last edited:
My 440 source balancer in action.

That's great, but I also assume that you've turned a few wrenches before. The OP is working on a project that a lot of us would crank out in an afternoon or two. I don't think he's ever gotten this deep before and he's depending on the guidance of others. I'm concerned that he needs to not deviate too much or it could bite him. Thus my recommendation that he gets the stock, external balance balancer done. His concern, based on this thread, is saving money. Really, the difference is the price of a sandwich with a beer.

This is me, almost 50 years ago. Stock engine with a cam and headers. Stock carbs, intake, pistons etc. No stroker crank or any of that. I built the engine myself. The engine in this car was pulled and stuck into the street car I drove to work. I was also sandbagging a couple tenths on that run as it usually ran 11.70.

B1tEmvG.jpg

So, I know nothing... LOL.

Do you guys know of a replacement balancer available for this application that is that much cheaper?

This is an external balance cast crank motor with the weighted balancer.

I see 440 source and Mancini offer one but the price isn't far off the rebuild price at $120 and $135. I would bet that both of those are Chinese made and I see they both have a bolt on weight that I'm not real crazy about. Those are the only ones I know about for the cast crank 440.

While there are probably guys that will bolt any balancer on and send it, if it were me, I'd want the right one so there's no chance of engine vibration. Put an earlier balancer on and you'll have to modify the pully so it matches the offset hole in the dampener too... which is no big deal, but still will need to be done.

Save $20 and get a Chinese replacement with a Mickey Mouse bolt on weight or have the old one rebuilt that you know is right? I know what I would choose.... If a used one pops up, the rubber is going to be just as old and again, it has to be for a cast crank motor with the offset weight.

View attachment 654969
Big ; there's a used 1975 balancer for sale on EBay ($49). but the front face has 3 holes drilled in it and mine has only 2 holes. Will this difference effect the balance and cause vibration? Paul

Big ; there's a used 1975 balancer for sale on EBay ($49). but the front face has 3 holes drilled in it and mine has only 2 holes. Will this difference effect the balance and cause vibration? Paul
If you mean this one, the holes are just for balance and I think it would be fine... But the rubber isn't a lot better than what you have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256441575878?itmmeta=01HV4XK5SXVBPBFYHG4CHNYVQ9&hash=item3bb51be9c6:g:m~0AAOSwabFl7jfs&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAA0MA1yBLgCUAoirGEhImCBmGH7tHA5RgkBTVp8pW9sxgp2xiJiUXU/fnACpMK2Zflm1RiyT/CUBoo2ePEHRg5eTak+3Vdr891ed3ZvCu27U6WVFE+Uk27qI0nuLocsUL5MZs3RdD+AIhiYudOh/x2Tf1YW7+7YCpQ8UlnJgrRbcnzvGqbClQVWCZ--NWfr3MjIGNrv6+XDN6RpgUGZnUU/72PgNThoJHLSPbQ1608R8MvTWqS5MByD7GI0XNrj8PcI016nud+C7QdjjQ+8ElkHng=|tkp:Bk9SR5TdzJ3ZYwSo

So Big; you would not make an offer on this balancer? If you would what would you offer? Paul
I wouldn't offer anything unless I needed a core to rebuild. That balancer is not much better than what you have now.

Harmonic balancers are on my don't install used list, unless I removed it from the car and it's a known good item. Or I have no other option.

Use a new or rebuilt one. Stay away from used ones as most will be 40 years old and most likely have dried out rubber.
57; I tried Murray Park. He didn't have a NOS balancer and his used ones didn't look all that good.
Any ideas of where I can find a new balancer? This isn't as easy as I thought. Paul

that one on ebay has cracked rubber too.
Scat has some cheapies, I'm looking myself and ATI has a fair price...kinda
(actually ati balancer for cast crank doesnt fit stock pullies it needs a spacer)

Last edited:
that one on ebay has cracked rubber too.
Scat has some cheapies, I'm looking myself and ATI has a fair price...kinda
(actually ati balancer for cast crank doesnt fit stock pullies it needs a spacer)
That brings up another point about using an aftermarket harmonic balancer. The ones I see with the bolt on weight don't look as thick as that stock balancer. That would mean adding a spacer to use the stock pulleys.

Add the cost of a spacer with possibly needing longer bolts and that rebuilt price is looking better and better.

Back in about 1970 or 71 my brother and I rebuilt a 390 Ford and reused the original balancer from the 1962 motor. We could not get it to start, it just popped and backfired. The mechanic who owned the garage down the block came over to give us a hand and it took him about 20 seconds to realize that it was out of time because the outer ring of the balancer had shifted on the rotted rubber and the timing marks were way out. Since then if there is any evidence of cracked rubber or if it's high mileage I always install a new one. I have had good luck with the replacement ones from Pioneer in the past and if I remember correctly Ertel and Melling also used to offer them. Oh, and I have also seen the outer ring come off on a car as it was going down the highway and wrecked the pulleys and belts.

Back in about 1970 or 71 my brother and I rebuilt a 390 Ford and reused the original balancer from the 1962 motor. We could not get it to start, it just popped and backfired. The mechanic who owned the garage down the block came over to give us a hand and it took him about 20 seconds to realize that it was out of time because the outer ring of the balancer had shifted on the rotted rubber and the timing marks were way out. Since then if there is any evidence of cracked rubber or if it's high mileage I always install a new one. I have had good luck with the replacement ones from Pioneer in the past and if I remember correctly Ertel and Melling also used to offer them. Oh, and I have also seen the outer ring come off on a car as it was going down the highway and wrecked the pulleys and belts.
even back then...definitely something to consider

Back