Plymouth Fury questions??

John Reddie

Reaction score
I saw a 318 engine advertised that was used to run a generator and ran on propane. The seller believes that it is a 1985 engine and he called a "race engine"; not sure about that term. Would this engine fit into my '67 Fury with the 727 Torqueflight transmission without any major modifications?
Also, I have 2 brass fuel sender floats that appear to be good but is there a way to test for leaking" I seem to recall that that I once heard that you could put the float into a pan of boiling water and any porosity would produce small bubbles. Thank for any tips and suggestions.
John

I sure would like a pic of that engine. I have a few questions that a pic would answer. Then I can give my opinion if you can a/o should use it. How much, btw.

318 3.jpg
Thanks for your response. Here are a few photos. They're asking $350.
318 1.jpg
318 2.jpg

You would want to be sure and run a compression check if this engine will fit your application. Engines converted to propane are famous for bad valve guides and burnt valves. Interesting it has a flex plate for a generator mount? You will need to have the exhaust header pipes fabricated as they are different on your '67.

Dave

I would think if you submerge the floats in a jar of gasoline for a few minutes, once you remove them give them a shake. If you hear hear the gasoline sloshing around then they are no good and would give you a low fuel gauge reading.

Back