Potential Project

SittingSince85

Reaction score
I decided to take yall's advice from my past thread and not buy the New Yorker. However, I've found another promising project. It is a 1966 Chrysler 300 Hardtop black on black. No idea what engine or transmission it has. It is in much better overall shape than the New Yorker with little to no rust. I'm going to get a better look at it Friday, any advice?

Merry Christmas, Sitting Since 85

20231218_121206.jpg

Make sure the taillights chrome bezels are as perfect as possible and the lenses because those are basically unattainable. That’s a huge concern. Good luck, hopefully the seller can power wash it before you get there.

My favorite Chrysler period, just buy it if it’s complete, restorable and the price is right.

Look it over Close. Taillights are the biggie. #1 why has it been parked So long? Does it have antifreeze, is the block cracked? Check for rust and mouse houses

Too bad the window is partly down. Interior will be just as dirty as the outside.

I wouldn’t power wash anything that wasn’t getting repainted.

It looks interesting for sure. Probably a 440/4 with a 727...good stuff there. I wasn't aware how rare the tail lights are these days....AMS Obsolete doesn't have them? Junk yards out west?

I'm cheap and pragmatic, so judging from the one photo, I'd say it's a $1000 car. You've seen my $1250 '67 Newport Custom, right? And my $3600 nice 65 New Yorker?

Newport.jpg

65 nyer.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE: I took a good look at the 300 yesterday and it was decent. It's got a freshly rebuild 440 TNT and 727 automatic. Seats are a bit ripped and it is quite dusty. Some trim has pitting on it but it is still driver quality. He was asking $3000 for it. Good deal or not?

20231229_104300.jpg

20231229_104926.jpg

20231229_104933.jpg

20231229_104937.jpg

20231229_104949.jpg

I don’t quite see how ANYTHING could be freshly rebuilt on that car. :bs_flag: It’s been sitting for almost 40 years!
That being said you have to at least make sure the engine isn’t seized from sitting that long. If receipts can’t be provided proving they’ve been rebuilt then it’s fake news. If it’s as solid as it looks and there are no gaping holes in it anywhere and the engine isn’t stuck I’d say 3k is a fair price for it. If the engine and trans are in fact rebuilt with very few miles on them that’s a bonus and would make the car worth more.
On a side note that dark blue is my favorite color on these cars And if I didn’t already have too many projects going on I would flat out arm wrestle you for a chance to buy it.:lol:
Now on a serious note if the car you REALLY want is a ‘64 Imperial Crown Coupe in similar condition but running I have a trade deal for you.

UPDATE: I took a good look at the 300 yesterday and it was decent. It's got a freshly rebuild 440 TNT and 727 automatic. Seats are a bit ripped and it is quite dusty. Some trim has pitting on it but it is still driver quality. He was asking $3000 for it. Good deal or not?

View attachment 635294

View attachment 635295

View attachment 635296

View attachment 635297

View attachment 635298

I agree with @detmatt on this car. If the engine isn't stuck, take along twenty-five C-notes with a trailer and buy this car.

I forgot to clarify that the nome of my account is not in reference to this car, but a 66 New Yorker. This one has been setting for about 5 years. He bought it out of California and got it moved here.

I forgot to clarify that the nome of my account is not in reference to this car, but a 66 New Yorker. This one has been setting for about 5 years. He bought it out of California and got it moved here.
If the paint in the driver’s door jamb is the same color as the rest of the car it’s dark blue. And what I said about the engine and trans still stands wether 5 years or 40.

The price would be really fantastic if you could hear it run and see it move under its own power. That would be the best case scenario. The vehicle needs to be moved out of that shed to get eyes on the engine and, as others have stated, make sure the engine does spin, also to check the underside, it’s been sitting on that dirt floor. The dashboard looks rough and those are a bear to remove and I can’t remember if the windshield needs to be removed before or not. That's something to check on. As I mentioned earlier those taillights are vital. You didn’t show any trunk pictures, were you able to get in there? Maybe try working with the seller to move the ‘66 out to make sure it even rolls.

I revived a Michigan 66 T&C that sat unused from '79 to 2008. I spent $3000 on parts to get it safely running, every part that had any kind of fluid in it had to be replaced; brakes, fuel, power steering, radiator, water pump, etc.. It cleaned up well but even with low miles Michigan had its way with the fenders and tailgate. It was $1500.
Take a 1 1/4 socket wrench and see if the engine spins. If the floors and trunk are sound I ditto the comment on 25 C notes and a trailer.
BTW, you can remove the IP pad with the windshield in place. A pain to do and prepare to leave a blood offering.
Mark

001.JPG

UPDATE: I think it might be a 383, but it also appears to have duel exhaust, which was only available on the 440. I really don't know yet.

UPDATE: I think it might be a 383, but it also appears to have duel exhaust, which was only available on the 440. I really don't know yet.
Dual exhaust is a very common upgrade that folks have been doing since shortly after the dawn of the V8.

UPDATE#2 Went to get a more thorough look today. After popping the hood, we made sure that it had oil and turned over, which it did. We then tried cranking it with the key. It immediately became evident that it will turn and fire a couple of times, but since it's so cold, we couldn't get it to idle. The first of the VIN is CH23GC32, can't quite make out the last part in the image I took

Last edited:
6th digit will be a 6.

I'd be one to get it, knowing what you know on the car. These are great cars.

Did you find out if it has a 383 or a 440?

Back