Power Seats, How do they work?

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Okay this is a thread for power seat newcomers, like me. Power seat works fine.
So I took out the 1973 front bench electric seat , mostly to clean and compare the seat vinyl between the front and the back seats. They are badly mismatched.

So that my front seat could rest flat on a table, I took off the power seat mechanism. I began looking at it and got curious. I went to page 5-42 in my factory shop manual.

A 3-Armature permanent magnet reversible motor is coupled through cables to rack and pinion assemblies located in the seat tracks, providing the various seat movements.

So my question is, are the cables off the motor hydraulic like a power steering system?
If not, how do they work? Thanks, Ben

PXL_20220501_165925670.MP.jpg

PXL_20220501_173812253.jpg

As mentioned, "cables" similar to a speedo cable.

The "rack and pinions" are termed "jacks", which actually move the seat at the direction of the motor and cables.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

This might help if you zoom in. Flexible wire coil that is pressed into a square shape at each end to fit tight into the holes in the "transmission"

1652803214348.png
IMG_0202[1].JPG

I don't have the same triple motor as you so not sure but for mine they are all press fit with some sort of mechanical bracket that acts as a lock. On the pic above it was a triple locking bracket (not pictured) and on the tracks they were 3 single u shaped brackets per side.

Great pictures showing the parts restored.
The cables look new - Did you replace the cables on the power seat during restoration ?
If yes, where did you source the new cables from ?
Do you mean the electrical cables? They are new, yes. Sourced here in Germany.

The Drive Cables are the original ones, just cleaned and the metal ends polished.

Back