Power steering pump belt tension

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had the power steering system rebuilt and have mounted the pump, but I am missing something when tightening the pump. There are three bolts 2 I can tighten down, but not the special one is which, only threaded on the last inch.

The way it is now it now it pivots on that bolt so I can't tighten the belt. What am I missing? Just a flat washer?

Also do a just use regular power steering fluid?

Here is a pre-rebuild pump with the bolt in question.

Steering pump.jpg

Steering pump.jpg

That looks alot like the TRW pump I have as well. That bolt never really got tight for me either, I tried the washer trick to make up for the gap but still didn't totally correct it. The best way to go is a new upgraded bracket to work with that pump or a whole different pump/bracket setup. I went with a new upgraded bracket. I think others switch over the the Federal style pump which I've heard performs better as well.

This link is for the style bracket I used, may have been a different seller though. I used it on my 6 Newport, 383.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Big-Block-and-Hemi-TRW-Power-Steering-Pump-Brackets-NEW-/360831484612?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item54033b82c4&vxp=mtr

Here is a link to a different thread with some good info on these pumps.
http://www.moparfins.com/forum/foru...e=which-type-of-power-steering-pump-do-i-have

When i installed my bracket it didn't fit as well as it could have, it took a little bit of modification and a lot of swearing. I would recommend buying the bracket from a know good source. The same bracket can be bought in various websites and what not, I'm just a sucker for ebay deals though.

That looks alot like the TRW pump I have as well. That bolt never really got tight for me either, I tried the washer trick to make up for the gap but still didn't totally correct it. The best way to go is a new upgraded bracket to work with that pump or a whole different pump/bracket setup. I went with a new upgraded bracket. I think others switch over the the Federal style pump which I've heard performs better as well.

This link is for the style bracket I used, may have been a different seller though. I used it on my 6 Newport, 383.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Big-B...Parts_Accessories&hash=item54033b82c4&vxp=mtr

I am glad I'm not crazy. Thanks for the information.

Yep, those early federal setups use primarily gravity to maintain belt tension. The pump hangs out over/past the pivot and isn't designed to be tightened to hold the belt tight.
Mike

(If I remember later I'll look it up in the FSM to see what it says for sure, but they made 'em that way for a long time.)

I can grab the pump and move it no problem. Enough to take the belt off, so I thought it was just supposed to be that way. I've never had any problems with the pump on my 1968 440ci.

Apparently that sucky system works. Doesn't mean that I have to be comfortable with it.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Well, I could care less about the Newport. Anything goes. Right down to the duct tape seat repair.
If you come up with a better way to mount the PS pump, please share.

Last edited:
Apparently that sucky system works. Doesn't mean that I have to be comfortable with it.

I kind of thought this might be the case because of the design of the pivot bolt. It moves very freely now that the dirt and grime has been removed. I guess I won't worry about it at this point. I will see if there is any issues, once I start the engine for the first time.

Thanks for all the great info I get educated nearly every day on these cars.

Is the Federal bracket the same as the TRW? The bracket in the pics looks exactly like what mine was and my pump is stamped TRW. Make sure you double check that. The replacement bracket works great, no slip and good tension.

I know this is an older post, but I'm having the same issue, I guess it's a common problem. The rubber wedge piece on mine must be missing from what I've read. I tightened the bottom bolt on the pump bracket and the pumps still loose, I even put some washers on before the nut and that made no difference. I've read that Gary Goers sells these rubber pieces or would it be better to buy the updated bracket?

I wish I could help you. I ended up having a brain fart with mine and didn't have it tightened up correctly. Mine has been tight all summer/fall.

Gary has some items you will find no other place, but be prepared to wait for them. I had a big long list and it took him quite awhile to fill it. I think it was 6 to 8 weeks.

I preferentially use the 'non self adjusting' bracket on my wagon, and my other big block machines in the past - and a steel motor mount on the driver's side too.

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad it wasn't just me because I couldn't figure it out until I did some searching on here. For now I just wedged a piece of heater hose in the bracket and it seems to be working until I can fix it properly. I probably will order some parts from Gary over the winter.

Back