Project: SS Newport

69SSNewport

Reaction score
My son and I have started a restomod project on this "fat bottomed girl" (fusey) convertible. We'll be blogging the project and will post pics here too for those interested.

1969 Chrysler Newport Vert 03.jpg

100_0554.jpg

Nice! My dad has a 70 Newport convertible that he restored...........they take forever to restore because there so huge........also they make great cruisers :steering:

I took a few minutes to start stripping someone's old "paint job" on the dash bezels. I used a product I found at Lowes and it worked quite well compared to lacquer thinner or some other solvent. Also restored the cluster lens which looked pretty nasty and freshened up the speedo.

Part of the fun or restoring this stuff is getting rid of the ugly.

LiftOff4.jpg

StrippedBezel.jpg

Polished lens.jpg

Speedo.jpg

C Body Resto

Very interesting technique using the welder to remove rudt. I have never heard of this befor. Great Pics & very informative. Enjoyed the reading.

Sorry, I knew you said charger. I've mentioned this process to a few of our local car club & none of them had heard of it either. I'm sure someone will try it over the winter. How do you think it would work on brake drums? I have a few spare ones off my 69 Monaco convertible I could try it on.

You can use a welder as a power supply - just wanted to be clear on what I used. The process will work with any ferrous metal - including brake drums. Just be sure to wire brush them under running water after you pull them out of the bath. You'll need to protect the part or it will start rusting again.

This guy uses a garbage can:

http://www.myfordtractors.com/electrolysis.shtml

Here's another: http://www.rowand.net/shop/Tools/Electrolysis.htm

There are tons of links out there. Have fun!

Finished up the AC/Heater control resto today. Someone really fubered this car up. Vacuum switch was wasted and heater switch, toast. Donor and new parts along with some touch up with a silver paint pen and she looks and works like new.

100_0650.jpg

nice job!!

ps, what does the button/cable linkage for the A/C control look like? Somethings messed up on our '70 convertible causing it not to engage the A/C when pushed and it would be really nice to see what were getting into to fix it. Thanks!!

Nice work, looking good!

Back