Proper Orientation of Inner Oil Seals for Wheel Bearing Hubs

GG-1

Reaction score
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
Hello C-Friends,

Which way do these oil seals seat into my 11" drum brake front inner wheel hubs.
Which side faces in towards the bearing and grease, A or B?

And if A, then does that protruding metal rim sit flush with the hub edge? It's seems to me the "concave" side with the rubber should face the grease and bearing.

Also, If the seal is not supposed to hold the bearing in place, then what prevents the inner bearing from sliding back and forth and riding on the spindle/out of the race?

Thanks all,

Alex and GG

Last edited:
The seal is installed so that the metal housing is flush with the hub and the “rim” as you call it, will protrude. The seal does not hold the inner bearing; the race and spindle do.

Last edited:
The seal is installed so that the metal housing is flush with the hub and the “rim” as you call it, will protrude. The seal does not hold the inner bearing; the race and spindle do.

So the seal isn't supposed to recess 4mm below/into the hub like hundreds say it should? Will that "rim" ride on the base of the spindle if it's allowed to protrude? Just trying to imagine it. This has been another point of confusion in my search for answers.

I see, so the the spindle bypasses the seal and engages with the bearing, holding it in place.. then the rubber in the seal follows, creating the seal against the spindle.

Last edited:
So the seal isn't supposed to recess 4mm below/into the hub like hundreds say it should? Will that "rim" ride on the base of the spindle if it's allowed to protrude? Just trying to imagine it. This has been another point of confusion in my search for answers.
No, the seal is flush with the hub. Yes, the "rim" acts as a secondary seal, not to keep grease in, but to keep contaminates out.

Yep, metal part of the seal is flush with the edge of the hub and the bearing is not held in place by the seal.

We're visually oriented here.

View attachment 200917
Ok thanks. That does show the orientation, however is a different design than the seal for my application(two step metal edge). I've looked at hundreds of visuals and videos online and haven't yet found one that shows installation of my seal type.

Last edited:
IMG_0059.JPG
There are two metal edges on my seal.

Which edge should be flush/level with the hub edge, A. or B. ?

As Clover has stated in comments above, it should be edge B. that is level with the hub, and edge A. should protrude out past the hub.
It seems that this would just smash/bend that thin edge of metal against the spindle base once installed, no?

Last edited:
B fits flush against the hub edge and no, the thin edge won't bend. It all fits nicely.

Thank you John, very helpful!
And thanks to all you guys on this thread for the answers and insight.

Last edited:
Back