Wheel bearing wierdness

GJS

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I decided to do my wheel bearings last night after having them in a box for about a year. There didn't actually seem to be any slop in them as they stood but I figured I had them so why not.

Driver side was fine, races were clean so I cleaned everything out, packed the bearings, installed and adjusted. Aside from finding a good 1/16" play in the output shaft of my steering box and a WHOLE lot of negative camber on the drivers wheel alone (other issues to be attended to soon) everything seemed fine.

Passenger sided likewise showed no sign of issue, wheel didn't wobble and turned freely without binding. I took the drum off and removed the old seal and inside bearing. Then I flipped the drum over to clean out the outside bearing race ... I noticed it was loose in the bore. ... stranger is that it would not come out. It looks as if somehow the race turned and wore itself into the bore .... which seems sort of illogical.

At any rate, it'd appear that I need a new hub assembly? Anyone know of a source for these?

Thanks for any input!

Back