Question, Inner wheel bearings and seals

Fishfan

Reaction score
Starting to do more of the work on the car myself.

Took the the front drums off to have them turned. Took them to the machine shop where he popped out the inner bearings and seals. I bought new seals and bearings. Now I need to put it all back together and I didn't take note of the orientation of the seals. The side with the flange goes toward backing plate for the drum, correct? I don't think it possibly go the other way (toward the bearing), right?

There should be a spring around the mating lip of the seal. It should face towards the greasy side when installed.

A light film of grease should be applied to the lip before installation also

Here's a pic of the seal. Flange is visible here. I don't see any spring. FSM is not explicit on this. I guess it's too basic for a mechanic but not for me!

3271277_bca_8121S_pri_detl.jpg

3271277_bca_8121S_pri_detl.jpg

Here's a pic of the seal. Flange is visible here. I don't see any spring. FSM is not explicit on this. I guess it's too basic for a mechanic but not for me!

View attachment 39380
The opposite side of that seal should be open with a small spiral spring that holds tension on the lip of the seal, you might have to look close. It's the side that faces the inner hub .... and the grease.

The side we can see in your picture goes down in the hub. The other side will be flat metal. You can either buy a seal driver set from Advance Auto Parts (about $25), or just use a giant socket that will sit flush on circumference of the seal, or use a block of wood to tap the seal in. Be careful, it has to go in square or you'll mess up the seal if its cocks to one side and you'll end up having to get another seal. It's easy and you'll be an expert by time you get the seals done on this job.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...0/10449302-P?searchTerm=autocraft+seal+driver

10449302_atc_ac3090_pri_larg.jpg

I'm as confused as ever. Maybe it's hard to tell from the pic but the side that's showing is a rigid metal flange. On the other side is the rubber part that actually makes the seal. I thought this side with flange faced the opening on the back plate (or whatever you call what the spindle sticks out of) with the rubber seal part up against the bearing.

Here's the other side. The side I believe goes in the hub and abuts with the bearing.
3.jpeg

3.jpeg

Ok. That's opposite of what 1978 NYB said.

The seal only goes in one way. Maybe I'm not seeing the picture correctly. You can only bang on one side of the seal and that would be the one with the wider metal side.

Fishfan, I understand your confusion.
Here's the easy way to remember.
Place a seal to be installed so that when you are pressing the seal into its seat, you are putting all the force on that flattest side of the seal.
The rubber side is filled with grease.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
I swear I looked everywhere online and could not find a good and clear explanation. I found others who had similar questions though. Part of the confusion is that it seems that most wheel seals don't have this type of flange. The tools for driving in such seals would appear to crush or bend the flange.

Ok. So I'm finally home after being away several days. Let's take a vote shall we? Majority wins. It's only my life that's literally riding on the outcome.

Two different angles of the two set-ups.

Right side is: Seal rubber toward bearing and flange side of seal toward backing plate on car.

Left side is: Flange side in hub with rubber sealing lip toward backing plate on car.

20141009_204214.jpg20141009_204234.jpg

My vote is the one on the right. It doesn't make sense to me that there would be metal on metal contact at the bearing (which is what would happen with the flanged side in the hub).

20141009_204214.jpg

20141009_204234.jpg

I am finishing up my 4 wheel drum brake job and have a question on the seals.No one ever said if Fishfan was correct about the orientation of the seal in the hub(right hand photo).I am confused as to how deep the seal should be driven in the hub. Below is the direct quote from the FSM......this should be simple, I just want to be sure. Thanks!
"(4) Install inner cone and a new seal, with lip of
seal facing inward. Using Tool C-3893, position seal
flush with end of hub."

Back