Proposed change-out of 383 to 440 in 69 Polara convertible

Change out the original 383 on a 1969 Dodge Polara convertible for a custom 440?

• Total voters

rcsfca

You've seen this yellow vert before...
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, after watching you guys get out your pitchforks and go after the mods that were done to that green 69 Polara vert from Florida that's floating around on Ebay, I thought I'd better put myself on the C-body rotisserie for a potential roasting about an engine change...

My Polara is one you've seen before here on the forum - it's the really nice yellow/black one from near Philadelphia that has the Super Bee decals on it.

EbayPicInPenn08.jpg

It lives in Northern California now - where I once bought a beautiful 69 Polara from the CHP in 1971 for $800 when I was 19 and I'm still crying about what happened to it. But that's another story...

Anyway, the yellow vert is going to lose the decals, don't worry, but I've built up a nice hot 440 to put in the car to try and get some of that ol' CHP feeling back into the game. BUT, and I mean BUT, the original 383 runs fine. As a matter of fact, everything in the car is original and runs fine, including the air conditioning (yes, a/c on the vert!)

So now I'm nervous about the motor change. Maybe I should just think of the vert as a nice cruiser, not a racer like my old CHP was - which we got up to 142 one time in the middle of the night in 1972 on a long, straight stretch of freeway.

On the other hand, some of you are not too bothered about what they did to that green vert and it doesn't look too bad if you like green, so maybe a nice-looking 440 in my car might not be so bad either.

I'm open for roasting from some (maybe all!) and toasting from others. So, what say, compadres?

Rich

The roasting originate from the heart of purists, those who love the cars for what they are not what their worth or might be worth.
They are original once. If the green car was a rusted wreck who cares what they did, it was toast anyway.
Your car looks too nice to change. If it's original then leave it that way. In my opinion you have an obligation to maintain that originality at all costs. If it's been restored or modified in any serious way then change the engine and go have fun ...

attachment-13.jpeg

It's only nuts and bolts. Pickle the 383 and drop in the 440. It can be put back to original in a weekend if needed. How about that, we joined this forum the same day.

Would I personally do it to my Newport? No- but only because I already have near 500RWHP from my daily driver, and I'm not chasing performance from my 'Port. I just want reliability and a clean look.

With that said, what is your goal? Do you want a balls-to-the-wall C-Body? If everything is original (and working) now, why not pick up another C-Body that needs a heart transplant, and put the 440 in it? You can't go wrong with a 2nd Mopar.

2 posts in 5 years? What gives?

You're in Nor Cal and you want a 440 in your Plymouth? I am in Nor Cal and have a 440 in my Newport, and would rather have a 383. Want to trade?

Where are you; I'm in Chico.

Well, after watching you guys get out your pitchforks and go after the mods that were done to that green 69 Polara vert from Florida that's floating around on Ebay, I thought I'd better put myself on the C-body rotisserie for a potential roasting about an engine change...

My Polara is one you've seen before here on the forum - it's the really nice yellow/black one from near Philadelphia that has the Super Bee decals on it.

View attachment 275051

It lives in Northern California now - where I once bought a beautiful 69 Polara from the CHP in 1971 for $800 when I was 19 and I'm still crying about what happened to it. But that's another story...

Anyway, the yellow vert is going to lose the decals, don't worry, but I've built up a nice hot 440 to put in the car to try and get some of that ol' CHP feeling back into the game. BUT, and I mean BUT, the original 383 runs fine. As a matter of fact, everything in the car is original and runs fine, including the air conditioning (yes, a/c on the vert!)

So now I'm nervous about the motor change. Maybe I should just think of the vert as a nice cruiser, not a racer like my old CHP was - which we got up to 142 one time in the middle of the night in 1972 on a long, straight stretch of freeway.

On the other hand, some of you are not too bothered about what they did to that green vert and it doesn't look too bad if you like green, so maybe a nice-looking 440 in my car might not be so bad either.

I'm open for roasting from some (maybe all!) and toasting from others. So, what say, compadres?

Rich

For starters, does the Polara have disc brakes? They are going to be something you are going to need with a 440 build. This car a a decent unmolested example of a '69 vert and I would be inclined to leave it that way. Yes if all you are going to do is an engine transplant, that can be undone. The major issue with putting it back to stock will be reverting the exhaust, not a cheap process these days. If you mainly want a nice cruiser, the 383 offers reasonable fuel mileage. You are going to be lucky to get 9 mpg with a 440 build, something to consider if you plan to drive the car a lot, probably also looking at premium fuel. The important thing about any cruiser is that it should be fun to drive and affordable to keep on the road.

Dave

You're in Nor Cal and you want a 440 in your Plymouth? I am in Nor Cal and have a 440 in my Newport, and would rather have a 383. Want to trade?

Where are you; I'm in Chico.

I'm down near Walnut Creek. You're living in God's Country up there compared to the Bay Area.

Anyway, the suggestion (above) about pickling the 383 (with its numbers) might be the way to go. However, your wanting to downsize to a 383 is an interesting proposition.
Can you share with the group what your thinking has been and why you want to go that direction? Maybe you're on to something that will make having a 383 a good idea...

For starters, does the Polara have disc brakes? They are going to be something you are going to need with a 440 build. This car a a decent unmolested example of a '69 vert and I would be inclined to leave it that way. Yes if all you are going to do is an engine transplant, that can be undone. The major issue with putting it back to stock will be reverting the exhaust, not a cheap process these days. If you mainly want a nice cruiser, the 383 offers reasonable fuel mileage. You are going to be lucky to get 9 mpg with a 440 build, something to consider if you plan to drive the car a lot, probably also looking at premium fuel. The important thing about any cruiser is that it should be fun to drive and affordable to keep on the road.

Dave

Ah, yes, the brakes. Now I realize I've gotten snagged on a branch because I forgot to mention that I did get a disc brake kit from MP in North Carolina, and so there goes some more of the "stock".
But at least it's hidden, and I'm going to do the disc change anyway - not matter what engine - because I remember how good they were on my CHP Polara. The front drums currently on the vert are nasty - I have to throw out an anchor to get it to stop. They're downright dangerous.

You're right about the exhaust job on a changeback. That's another headache - not impossible - but costly.

For sure, the mpg with the 440 is likewise challenging. Cruising around the neighborhood is one thing but being on the road for any distance with that bad boy 750 cfm is going to bite.

This is a 'vert. Your CHP car was more rigid and beefed up in various respects. So, it's not just the brakes.

I agree with @polara71 -- there are so few original ones left, I would do the utmost to keep yours as is. Even the drums can be fettled and made to work better. You may need to adjust the driving style (ask me how I know...) but IMHO that's part and parcel of the experience.

FWIW, my '70 Polara 'vert is an original car that I bought from the second owner, who'd parked it in his father's garage for 32 years. Like yours, it can only be original once. I have a 318 in mine (not even a 383), yet there is no way that I am changing it even though it's a bit slow on steep hills.* For my power fix, I got a T-code '71 Monaco coupe this year.
:steering:

*: as for mileage, my 318 will cruise all day at 15 on the highway (70+mph) and 17mpg on smaller roads (45+mph). In town, though, I only get about 10 mpg.

Last edited:
My driving style? What?! You mean I'm not 19 anymore? Well, that's news. Lemme go look in the mirror. Again.

Yes, the CHP was considerably tighter and more rigid than the vert is. All the suspension stuff. It was the only way it could've gotten to 142 and back in one piece. The vert would be a flying coffin at that speed.
I've got a copy of the 69 CHP specs and I see Alan and Ron at the MOPAR show in LA. They each bring their CHP Polaras, and I'm sure I could have a good talk with them about practical differences in their cars that I've long since forgotten...

Thanks for the mileage references for the 318. @Snotty may have some comments about mpg related to his proposed downsize from a 440 to a 383.

Lets face it. That car should have been built with no less the the mighty 440, just like the New Yorkers and Imperials were. (my 2 cents). I say go for it.

Lets face it. That car should have been built with no less the the mighty 440, just like the New Yorkers and Imperials were. (my 2 cents). I say go for it.

Why? So all Cs should have had the 440? Stop.....

When I read threads like this, I go “Why?”

What will the OP do any different with a 440 than a 383? Nothing. You’ll still drive it 55 mph on the highway and to the DQ on Saturday nights. You can do the same thing with a 318 that you’ll do with a 440.

It’s not about performance. Are you going to race it? No. If you want performance, buy a performance car.

The uptick in seat of the pants “feel” could be just as easily accomplished for a lot cheaper with a set of gears.

I just don’t get this one other than stroking an ego and swinging d*&#.

So, why ask others?

My '70 Newport convertible 440 (not original) has drums all around and once I got them set up right, I swore it felt like they stopped faster than my other C's with discs. Next time I was at Edmonton brake and clutch I mentioned this to the owner (in the game 40+ years and a Mopar guy) and he said "yes they do stop faster, the first few times" then fade kicks in, and the regular maintenance...

Yea those decals suck. Thats like the people that put a bently badge on a 300. Tacky. Get rid of those and skip the 440 and do 392 hemi crate if your going for pure horsepower. Now that would be cool

You could also just change soup the 383 up with mods like cam, torque converter, lower rear gears and some intake and exhaust mods and it would run stronger than an oem 440. Thats what I did in my 71 383. It probably has the high 2.76:1 diff gear which will make it a dog

(...) What will the OP do any different with a 440 than a 383? Nothing. You’ll still drive it 55 mph on the highway and to the DQ on Saturday nights. You can do the same thing with a 318 that you’ll do with a 440.

(..)

The uptick in seat of the pants “feel” could be just as easily accomplished for a lot cheaper with a set of gears.

I just don’t get this one other than stroking an ego and swinging d*&#.

So, why ask others?

I respectfully differ. You don’t have to have a need to compensate, or to swing something, to want to accelerate fast from standstill or to pass quickly at speed. Gearing will deal with the former, not as much with the latter. Speed limits have no bearing on those little pleasures.

IMHO, it is the OP’s car to do as he wishes, but he’s asking, so I am all for keeping this beautiful original as is. At the same time, I understand where he’s coming from. But if speed matters to him more than preserving a very rare original open top, then the OP should either get a second car with a big engine (if funds allows) or sell this ‘vert and replace it with a high powered car. I am sure there will be interested buyers (hint, hint).

PS: is this the same car?

Last edited:
Back