PS23K8D191537 04/09/1968 W. H. Humphreys

That's a standoff valve for front disc brakes. It's theory of operation is to hold off the front brakes in slippery conditions. It is not needed in a conversion only for a 100% resto. I believe if they fail they will not hold the front brakes off which is a good thing.

well I had just changed jobs when i got this car - literally my first day on the job july 10th i was back east while the car was getting delivered here in TX.... so I have not had the time towards this project really much at all.

so ive been dinkin around with it, trying to get it to fire. heres where im at. i need some chicken bone readers to tell me what these bones say. do i have a shot at it? or do i just punt and pull it now and send it out?

#5 scares me, and #6 was dripping wet. the rest of them aint so bad lookin.

Ive got em all soakin in mystery oil. will turn over the motor and soak more in another couple of days.

the motor does spin freely, and seems to be intact. i hear no clunks, clanks, or other scary noises. everything looks to be turning in sync as desired.

20170919_174206.jpg

[QUOTE="saylor,

the motor does spin freely, and seems to be intact. i hear no clunks, clanks, or other scary noises. everything looks to be turning in sync as desired.

Careful. You could be risking bent push rods or a camshaft by spinning it with the starter.

noooooo don't say that nooo. if its gonna break, it done did already because it spins free now :) but Im trying everything before I throw in the towel and pull the motor out.

tomorrow or friday I will bump the motor so the pistons are in a different spot and re-oil the cylinders down with more mystery oil . . .

test. just seeing if i can post here - i cant post into other threads.. dunno if its the timestamp issue or not, just goofin around here

wellp i put a batt to it again and spun th motor, and it coughed out all kind of crud out the spark plug holes. so much that i decided to soak again vs. trying to start today.

so i put more marvel mystery oil down the cylinders, and it will sit. more.

Your #5 plug looks like it's oil fouled, I don't know how I missed this thread before

20171008_104624.jpg
i invented meself a new device today - the piston soaker 3000 (TM). it has 6" rubber fuel line on one end, connected to steel line, connected to a syringe, allowing me to do an engine high colonic.
stab teh rubber hose into the spark plug hole, fill, and wait, and then fill more.

...so, it sat a week soaking, then i turned it over, and soaked it another week. today it still was puking out lumps of black **** when i spun the motor, so i am gonna soak it again for another week.

im trying so hard to not take this motor out/apart. i hope i get there.

. . . . i still have the orig. dual snorkel and dist, but i went ahead and put an eddie 650 and mopar dist 850005 electronic ECU whatever the kit is, accel coil, and as mandatory Taylor 8mm wires.

Last edited:
Your #5 plug looks like it's oil fouled, I don't know how I missed this thread before

it wasnt oil :/ its grunge :/

its gritty, but the grits break down like if u take a chunk and rub it in your hand, i havent found a piece yet that was reflecty or '**** this is a piece of metal' its just old *** grungy *** old engine grunge. i hope. i hope i dont jinx myself.

ok im loggin out and going away.

Sounds kind of like "carbon", which could be from rings (should have shiny edges on the piston tops), too much fuel, bad ignition, and/or a dirty air filter element.

How much has the oil level increased after your mystery infusions?

CBODY67

Look on eBay for "borescope". That's a computer attachment with a camera in it, for checking "bores", as engine combustion chambers to see what's there. Some have memory and such, but plug into your laptop or similar. Look at it in "real time".

ChrisFix has some YouTube vids that use it to check for cleaning results from fuel system cleaners and such (carbon removal). Just don't be scared of what you might discover!

CBODY67

Back