PS23K8D191537 04/09/1968 W. H. Humphreys

then some more tape
20180224_182639.jpg

little bit of faux chrome paint. I did the inside of turn signal buckets with this junk too.

20180225_132316.jpg

and then here we are. like I said the blue tape gave up on me. if you try this get the frog tape. I let the paint dry 24hrs in between, I didn't do this all at one sitting.
ill get a paint pen and tighten up some edges, and apply the letters and whatnot.
all in all, its better than it was.

soo.... where are the cowl drain holes? under the front quarterpanels somewhere?

can I see them from underneath the car?

I plan on turning on a water hose and flushing all this crap out but want to make sure the drains are open first.

what a MAGA day! I'm not worthy!!

not only is it awesome Friday, but i have a paid vacation day today, AND its Texas Independence Day, AND I voted in the republican primaries this morning (MAGA)

AND I took this 440 motor up to denton to wayne calverts engine shop

AND I was helped by none other than the man, the legend himself. Calverts shop is a slice of heaven. its old as hell, various machine benches everywhere, blocks, crankshafts, heads, water pumps, carbs, anything and everything you can think of is just everywhere. smells like oil, machines, fast motors, and success. MAGA.

FISH ON!
20180302_110115.jpg

20180302_111842.jpg
all the stuff you should remove before coming to Mr. Calvert with your broke motor.

I was honored to work with him - he stood there and removed all this crap and I got to be the tool gopher parts boy for him. it was fun as hell, and he didn't mess around. another hour or two and it would be half apart. we pulled all these bits, hoisted the motor inside and onto a roller stand and there it goes into the magic land.

mr. calvert talked to me a bit ,whats it out of (Plymouth fury - BTW that got a raised eyebrow I think he is digging on the c-body with a big block idea) , what do i want it to do ,etc., wrote down my info and all it said was:
68 mopar 440
REBUILD. PERF.
CALL WHEN APART.

then he threw me a shop towel and let me use the washup sink out in the shop. holy MAGA ness. I cant take it !! not worthy!!!

may I present the nut that would not die
20180305_180525.jpg

this is an exhaust flange bolt and nut that would not come loose. I cut it with a wheel, and it still would not come loose. grumble grumble. moar hammer!

RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
20180311_172807.jpg

I guess my baby on the front bumper set off some libs in the neighborhood...

SCREAM AT THE SKY ! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Calvert was one of the places that did "balance and blueprint" back in the later '60s. Only a handful of that type of shop around any more! In Denton. I love the feel and smells of those "embedded" shops like that. They are special places with enough history to make you in total awe of what 's been through them over the decades they've been there.

Code Enforcement is always an issue, sometimes. State and local codes. Sometimes, just a car cover and air in the tires are all that's needed, by observation.

CBODY67

440 30 over with a small amount of umph: $4022.52
hand built by one of the legend racers of all time: priceless waynecal

so, since I've never built an engine soup to nuts before, and I don't have the tools or the time, and I had wayne calvert standing there, I let him build it :)

I told him I wanted USA parts where possible, HP/taxi/police/HD grade components, and enough cam to lope but not have to add vacuum assist for brakes. 2000stall on an HP/taxi/police/HD grade 727 transmission and 3.23 Detroit truetrac 8.75 rear end. and go:

he put it .30 over
350np-30 sealed power flattop pistons
comp cams #21-223-4 268/280, Lift .477/.480
comp springs #924-16 Dual, 1.509 in. Outside Diameter, 347 lbs./in. Rate, 1.175 in.
comp #822-16 lifters
melling 63 oil pump
cloyes #3044 timing set
arp bolts
federal e424k 30 rings, clevite bearings, federal gaskets, freeze plugs, exh/int guides/seats ,seals, crank regrind polish, all that jazz

full disassemble, clean, inspect, pre-hone, align hone, resize rods, new piston ***'y, hone/fit pistons, balance ***'y, valve job + resurface heads, int/exh seats/guides, R&R broken XH bolt, machine for seals
full clean and assemble long block

he said it should do pretty good.

cbody67 - the shop is exactly as you remember it in your mind. it is a gearhead dream in there.

it is one of the last places like it on earth, a rare thing a full engine machine shop. I am very blessed to have met wayne and i was like a 9year old boy following him around the shop :)

and to get a motor rebuilt by him and his son and crew is mind blowing.

legend for sure.

Build specs look good. About 440 Magnum or a little better, cam-wise.

o wise and venerable forum -

I was goofin around today with this motor and noticed I'm gonna need exhaust manifold bolts. so I went over to
Header/Exhaust Bolts & Studs-440 Source

there are studs and bolts both listed on that page ^^. does it matter? on the 440 do any of these stab into any water jackets?

there are 3/4" and 1".. again wtf? whats stock?

thank you o wise and venerable forum for your wisdom.

your pal -

- saylor

The factory used studs. I used bolts. Every one is in a water jacket. Use non hardening thread sealer, I picked up the high temp liquid thread sealer at autozone

o wise and venerable forum -

I was goofin around today with this motor and noticed I'm gonna need exhaust manifold bolts. so I went over to
Header/Exhaust Bolts & Studs-440 Source

there are studs and bolts both listed on that page ^^. does it matter? on the 440 do any of these stab into any water jackets?

there are 3/4" and 1".. again wtf? whats stock?

thank you o wise and venerable forum for your wisdom.

your pal -

- saylor

cbody67 - the shop is exactly as you remember it in your mind. it is a gearhead dream in there.

it is one of the last places like it on earth, a rare thing a full engine machine shop. I am very blessed to have met wayne and i was like a 9year old boy following him around the shop :)

and to get a motor rebuilt by him and his son and crew is mind blowing.

legend for sure.

Hey Saylor--Glad to hear the engine made it out of the rebuild shop in good shape.
I tried to take care of it over the many years and fully expected it would be a good rebuilder.
Do you have any info from the trans. rebuilder? All I recall was it was working fine until a bad leak put the car to bed for sooo- many years.

Bruce

Back