Pulling front pump

Reece Stephens

Reaction score
My transmission went out about a month ago with 214 miles on it, pan was full of metal and I'm thinking it's the front pump. The car still moved but the pump made a lot of noise especially in reverse. I have another pump and I'm wondering if there's a easy way to swap pumps without tearing down the transmission anymore than I have to.
Update: I completely tore my 727 apart and found the source of all the metal, the low/reverse band had actually scored the drum. There's no other damage and all the clutches are in good shape.

Last edited:
If it’s full of metal it should be taken all apart, the source of failure found, and all the metal debris cleaned out.

If it’s full of metal it should be taken all apart, the source of failure found, and all the metal debris cleaned out.
It'll get rebuilt, in the mean time I need to get it moving and I had a spare pump laying around

It could be that the damage is already done. In which case, if the car will move, move it the least. Why sacrifice a spare pump?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

It could be that the damage is already done. In which case, if the car will move, move it the least. Why sacrifice a spare pump?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Well, I tore the pump that was in the transmission apart just now and found that it's not all ate up. I knew it'd need rebuilt but I was hoping I could get the car going for a few weeks until I can get the money for a rebuild kit

If the pump is not the source of the metal debris, then usually the planetary gears or the torque convertor has failed. Sometimes a band that has worn thru the lining will also throw a lot of metal. In any case, this transmission is done until it is rebuilt.

Dave

i there is metal in the pan in most cases its due to failure of the torque converter thats what i was told by my trany man

Two questions:
How can you tell if a torque converter is bad and where is good place to get a complete 727 rebuild kit with bands etc? Good luck with your transmission fix.
John

I like this guy, 'bout 15 minutes for a complete teardown of a transmission. You can tell he's been around and is the real deal, haven't seen him do anything but GM and mostly 4x4 stuff thou.

Two questions:
How can you tell if a torque converter is bad and where is good place to get a complete 727 rebuild kit with bands etc? Good luck with your transmission fix.
John
if there is a lot of metal in the pan its a good chance u almost have to take the trans apart . do u have a copy pf the factory service book? & not the junk ones from the parts store u can find them on ebay or buy a new reprint from Bishko Books, Repair Manuals, Owners Manuals, Parts Books & Sales Brochures i dont work on tranys all i do is take them out &S change the fluid & filter . u may want to put on a deeper pan (most ad 1 qt to the fill ) the book will tell u how to test them + it will have the right wireing for the car + a ton of other imfo

Back