Purple cam question

rd92west

plan C
Reaction score
This question is in regard to
P4452783 purple cam
I'm my 2002 direct connection catalog it tells me that this cam has a centerline of 115
I installed this same cam last week.
On the Mopar Performance Camshaft installation sheet (dated 03/21/11) it tells me that this cam has a centerline of 113
I degree'd this cam and it was bang on 113.
My crank sprocket has 3 key way grooves. 4 degrees advance, 4 degrees retard and stock. I installed it in stock position.
I have been told that advancing the cam by 2 degrees gives a nice power increase at low rpm at the cost of some top end rpm's and a little fuel economy.
My question is- which centerline number is accurate? 115 or 113

20211127_083122.jpg

20211127_083154.jpg

I'd say 113 since you degreed the cam and that's what it turned out to be.

I'd say 113 since you degreed the cam and that's what it turned out to be.
I would tend to agree.
I do find it strange that the 2002 direct connection book says 115. Missprint???
In 2002 book the magnum cam and 6 pack cam are both 115 centerline.

In 2011 install sheet the magnum is 113 and six pack cam is 115 yet these 2 cams are virtually identical except for the magnum cam uses 1 bolt cam sprocket and 6 pack uses the 3 bolt cam sprocket

the cam is on a 115 LSA with a 2 degree built in advance that would give it a 113 centerline, seems like it degree in perfect then.

So does the 6 pack cam have 2 degrees advance built in to it?
some one measured the 6 pack with 3 degree advance. but the 440 hp none 6 pack events are intake opens 21* closes 67*. ex opens 79* closes 25*. so it is for sure 115 LSA and 113 centerline.

Seems like I recall the orig 440 +6 cam had the same timing events as the 440HP cam, but with a different taper on the lobes to better handle the higher valve spring pressures? Plus the 3-bolt sproket rather than the normal 1-bolt sproket? Per the old DC Race Manual.

Seems like I recall the orig 440 +6 cam had the same timing events as the 440HP cam, but with a different taper on the lobes to better handle the higher valve spring pressures? Plus the 3-bolt sproket rather than the normal 1-bolt sproket? Per the old DC Race Manual.
don't forget they had different lifters to match the lobes, called mushroom lifters

Yes, "low taper" lifters to match the taper on the cam lobes. "Mushroom lifters" are what the Y-Block Fords used, such that the lifters are larger diameter on the lobe-contact surface than the base diameter of the lifter body. Which allegedly results in a valve lift curve similar to a roller cam, from what I've read. They have to be installed before the cam is installed, from what I recall reading back then. Obviously, they do not drop-in from the top side as a normal lifter does. BTAIM

Happy Holidays,
CBODY67

Back