Pictures of my air conditioner bolt problem

spstan

Reaction score
trying to get the air conditioner compressor off so I can get to the timing chain cover. Loosened the bolts in front and compressor would not move (first picture). Second picture is of a 5/8" nut in the back of the compressor (wrench attached to show location). I'm going to try to remove the two 5/8" nuts to see if the compressor moves. Has anyone removed the compressor on a 1975 New Yorker with a 440 (7.2L) engine? Paul

1st.jpg

2nd.jpg

The 5/8 nut on the back is to bolt the compressor to the bracket. You won't get anywhere there with the front clutch and pulley still on. And you don't want to take any of that apart.

You need to unbolt the A/C bracket from the engine. So look for bolts through the bracket to the water pump housing and intake manifold. We can see one bolt in you first photo, remove that bolt. Now look on the other side there is another bolt there.

Do you know someone that can come and help you with this? It reminds me of my early car repair attempts. Not looking at the big picture, due to lack of experience. So keep asking questions, the only way to get there, ask questions and keep your eyes open and think it over.

How are you going to remove the bolt with the 1 1/4" head that holds on the harmonic balancer? Do you have a harmonic balancer puller? Must have one to keep from damaging it.

AAB7B0A9-5C80-44AC-8A81-126879CE85E9.jpeg

4 thanks for the advice. I'm trying to get the job done with as little effort as possible. So I leave the 5/8" nut in the back untouched? And you think 2 more bolts removed (the one you circled) and I'm there? I'll get my race car neighbor to look at it. As to the crank bolt I'm thinking of using an electric impact wrench. Wonder how much torque I need? Paul

There is a bolt under your coil. It goes in from top. In front of the intake manifold.

There should be 2 brackets from the compressor going back to the intake.

Possibly not enough room for an electric impact in the car, depends on how big the tool is.

Get your neighbor over there for some one on one instruction.

Check the installation torque specs for the balancer bolt. Might need to use a long breaker bar to get the bolt broken loose, then a torque wrench to reinstall it when done.

I know on my 68, there is a bracket across front of intake using intake bolts and another brscket that goes to front drivers side exhaust manifold bolt. Dont know how much different the 2 are.

There is a bolt under your coil. It goes in from top. In front of the intake manifold.

There should be 2 brackets from the compressor going back to the intake.

Possibly not enough room for an electric impact in the car, depends on how big the tool is.

Get your neighbor over there for some one on one instruction.
4; I talked to my neighbor last night and he raised a lot of questions like "what if the 2 bolts on the bottom of the timing cover don't come off?" and "you really should replace the cam shaft while you have it all apart" and other questions. He really makes me worry but of course maybe I take too simplistic a view of the job. Any way I'll focus on the air conditioner compressor first and see where we go from there. Paul

4; I talked to my neighbor last night and he raised a lot of questions like "what if the 2 bolts on the bottom of the timing cover don't come off?" and "you really should replace the cam shaft while you have it all apart" and other questions. He really makes me worry but of course maybe I take too simplistic a view of the job. Any way I'll focus on the air conditioner compressor first and see where we go from there. Paul
You can worry yourself to death. Focus!

I think the point @413 was trying to make is that the A/C compressor isn't mounted directly onto the engine block. Instead, there are some brackets on top of the block and one on the front and the compressor is mounted in between those. The bolt you have a wrench on behind the compressor is the one that does that. It goes all the way through the compressor. The bolt head is obstructed by the A/C clutch. See this pic:

20240216_132205.jpg

So you're best bet is to remove the brackets and A/C compressor as a single unit from the engine, leaving the brackets attached to the compressor.

Look for, and remove, bolts in these locations and it should come off:

20240216_132814.jpg

I think the point @413 was trying to make is that the A/C compressor isn't mounted directly onto the engine block. Instead, there are some brackets on top of the block and one on the front and the compressor is mounted in between those. The bolt you have a wrench on behind the compressor is the one that does that. It goes all the way through the compressor. The bolt head is obstructed by the A/C clutch. See this pic:

View attachment 644569

So you're best bet is to remove the brackets and A/C compressor as a single unit from the engine, leaving the brackets attached to the compressor.

Look for, and remove, bolts in these locations and it should come off:

View attachment 644570
The; so let me get this straight. I leave the large 5/8" nut behind the compressor ALONE (do not touch). I remove the FOUR bolts you have circled in the picture and the compressor should come out. Is that right? Paul

True there is no Service Manual listed for a '75.
There is however, one listed for a '70. (440 w/RV2 compressor).
The instructions are pretty generic, but they do exist.

You seem to have misunderstood me so let me clarify. I've checked my '75 FSM and this is all it says about removing the compressor:

Screenshot_20240217_123355_Samsung Notes.jpg

Does not include any diagrams with brackets so that's why I said the FSM isn't of much use here.

@spstan probably goes without saying but just to be safe, do NOT remove the A/C lines from the compressor.

Those instructions are for removing the compressor to replace it. When replacing the compressor it doesn't come with brackets so you reuse the old ones.

This job calls for moving the compressor out of the way to remove timing chain. You take,the bracket with it. Follow the brackets to the ends and remove the bolts. You don't need to discharge the system remove any lines or the clutch from the front of the compressor.

Post #9 shows where the bolts are.

The service manual has an assumption that the reader has spatial ability, has a good selection of tools, and knows how to turn a wrench. That's not quite the case on this job.

Those instructions are for removing the compressor to replace it. When replacing the compressor it doesn't come with brackets so you reuse the old ones.

This job calls for moving the compressor out of the way to remove timing chain. You take,the bracket with it. Follow the brackets to the ends and remove the bolts. You don't need to discharge the system remove any lines or the clutch from the front of the compressor.

Post #9 shows where the bolts are.

The service manual has an assumption that the reader has spatial ability, a good selection of tools, and knows how to turn a wrench. Doesn't seem to be the situation here.

As thethee mentioned, remove the A/C compressor with it's brackets as a unit. If you're careful and can wire it up out of the way, you don't even need to discharge the system.

Back