Question: Original 1970 Chrysler Town Country (440 eng.)

Eric erbert

Reaction score
Hello All;

Quick question: does the 1970 Chrysler Town Country 440 engine come with single or dual exhaust mufflers from factory?

Do you know guys where I can find the originals (or similar to to the originals) exhaust mufflers ? I am looking for new parts only, doesn't need to be NOS.

Thanks!
Eric

According to this, the regular 440 came with single and the 440 hp came with dual.

Attachments

• 1970 Chrysler cars ama.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 360
The 1969 standard performance 440s in Town & Country wagons came with duals in 1969 and singles thereafter as I recall. I am not sure the HP engine was offered in those wagons, at least I haven't seen one yet. I would have to check the brochures to know for sure.

The 1969 standard performance 440s in Town & Country wagons came with duals in 1969 and singles thereafter as I recall. I am not sure the HP engine was offered in those wagons, at least I haven't seen one yet. I would have to check the brochures to know for sure.

Steve: That is interesting. Are you saying that dual exhaust came with the trailer tow option, or was it just an option that could be ordered?

Here are the AMA specs for 1969. I'm not saying it is the final word by any means, but it shows single for the regular 440 in 1969 too. I suspect it shows standard equipment that could be changed through options. I don't think it addresses whether the HP version was offered for the T&C.

Attachments

• 1969 Chrysler cars ama.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 293
It is E85.... where I can find these exhaust muflers similar to originals for sale? Any guess?
Thx for the support
IMG-20171101-WA0021.jpg

Looking at the factory brochures for 1969-71, no Town & Country wagons were available with the 440 TNT engine, just the E85 standard 440 (and 383-2 & 4 bbls as well).

For 1969 and 1970, for the standard 440 engine and the 383-4 engines, it appears that the dual exhaust system was a mandatory "option", and single exhaust not available except on the 383-2 bbl engines in T&Cs where it was standard. The trailer tow package didn't mention anything about exhaust systems. The way the charts are laid out, it is a little vague regarding exhaust systems for the 383 engines though, so maybe a deeper dive might be required to get to the bottom of it for them.

For the 1971 Town & Countrys, only single exhaust was available with the 440 standard engine and dual exhaust optional on the 383-4 engines (and single exhaust appearing to be standard).

Just FYI, compression ratios on all the 1969 440 engines were 10.1, in 1970 all were 9.7 and in 1971 it was 8.8 for the standard E85 440 and 9.5 for the E86 440HP engine.

It is E85.... where I can find these exhaust muflers similar to originals for sale? Any guess?
Thx for the support
View attachment 149907

You might take a look under your car for any evidence of a factory installed dual exhaust system (hangers brackets, bolt holes, etc.). In any event, you can get a custom factory-like system (either dual or single) from Waldron's. I put their entire stainless dual system on my '66 300 convertible; it fits a looks pretty good to me.

Back