Quiet method of cutting up a car ?

Detroit_Lives

Reaction score
I ll be cutting up this donor body and I'm trying to be considerate to my close neighbors. Otherwise I might just use my cutoff wheel and take my time, make a bunch of grinding noise. I don't want to distort the metal so maybe air shears are out, I assume they distort, not sure never used em. Air nibbler? probly kinda loud but... if its fast, I can go for it and not cause too much concern, not sure never used one. Plasma is fairly quiet but is it gonna warp? I want good replacement body panels / patch panels.
Any ideas?

Sawzall is what I would use and the cut off wheel. Not as quiet as you want it to be though

Air hammer is fast if you get the right bite on it. No quiet way to do it

Check the local noise ordinances. Usually, NO noise past 10pm or before 7am. But check to make sure. OR, just do it while they are at work.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Drill apart at spot welds where you can or plasma torch.

Hydraulic shears for rescue would work great for this, quiet and effective.
If cost is no object, you could make it more exciting by purchasing some Breachpens online.
Lots of light but little sound.
Oxy acetylene torches would be my first choice though for economy.
Sounds like a party!

air nibblers suck and wont go through anything put a single panel...have the basic air tool scream, the tips like to break off and the million razor sharp crescent moons they spit out are really fun to kneel on...had to use them way back when on sunroof installations where i had to make a hole in the roof but leave the headliner fabric intact...buying a plasma torch just to get some patch panels is rather extreme....think you'll need a combination of tools depending what you're trying to go through...those pneumatic mini saws are pretty quiet and with a fine blade wont distort anything but the blades dont last long....wait till your neighbor is mowing his lawn...

The spot weld tool works good and you can get replacement bits for the tool. Just centerpunch with a spring punch to make a divot then the bit won't walk on ya. Start slow and let it make a groove first. It may not perfectly pop the welds but if you go down the line and drill them then give it a tug or a gentle pry and they will usually pop loose. I'll be doing a ton of that too. I'm considering the plasma cutter.
Thanks for the ideas.

I ll be cutting up this donor body and I'm trying to be considerate to my close neighbors. Otherwise I might just use my cutoff wheel and take my time, make a bunch of grinding noise. I don't want to distort the metal so maybe air shears are out, I assume they distort, not sure never used em. Air nibbler? probly kinda loud but... if its fast, I can go for it and not cause too much concern, not sure never used one. Plasma is fairly quiet but is it gonna warp? I want good replacement body panels / patch panels.
Any ideas?
My Milwaukee reciprocating saw with flame thrower blades did a good job

Don't think about it, just get it done quick. I like a medium tooth blade in a reciprocating saw. Keep the tool low, almost laying on the panel and draw it through.

2008-01-26_06.jpg

Alan

@Samplingman
Are they no longer made in Michigan???
Lol, sorry, Matt, that was a case of “fat fingers”. Those cutters are the best out there, make sure to use plenty of oil.

My suggestion is to invite the locals to cut the car up, they
will have lots of fun and get rid of “that nieghbor’s junk car” at the same time.

DB843F1B-1511-498C-B761-8A088429A987.jpeg

Back