Radio conversion DIY?

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased an Aurora radio conversion kit and installed it? I am not afraid of electronics and this seems like it would be a fun project to convert my radio for my ‘68 Polara. Any suggestions on what kit to use? There seems to be a few different ones offered by Aurora.
381B84E0-1E58-4708-BBDD-927AC173F2B6.jpeg

Go for it, but I have never heard anyone doing it themself. I got the pre amp for subwoofer and front and rear speakers. Don't bother with the the usb/mp3 adapter, unless they have changed it, I couldn't get any of my UBS drives to work. It comes with a mini plug input for anything with a headphone jack.

Don't bother with the the usb/mp3 adapter, unless they have changed it, I couldn't get any of my UBS drives to work.

I had two done over the winter and both work great with the USB drives.

After searching I don’t think you can just buy a kit and do it yourself. I thought I found a couple, but seemed to be the same price as a conversion.

Aurora seems to have a pretty tight hold over the market an it’s dealers.

After searching I don’t think you can just buy a kit and do it yourself. I thought I found a couple, but seemed to be the same price as a conversion.

Aurora seems to have a pretty tight hold over the market an it’s dealers.
Not surprising.

Vintage Car Radio has them for sale. In total about $90 less ($120 if you consider shipping).

I think I have other issues. The chrome is peeling off the side of my volume dial. Also the plastic gear was stripped preventing turning the radio all the way off. I was able to rotate the gear a little. It will turn off now, but I wonder how brittle the plastic gears are.
Since only a little shows with the bezel on I am try some chrome paint on the wheel.

A12E5E68-1EE2-4CED-8250-603316E02F83.jpeg
F725E192-5144-42BF-BD2D-F1D2814A6CED.jpeg

I have never heard anyone doing it themself
I did not use an Aurora kit, but I did it myself, buying parts and kits here and there on eBay (mainly coming from China).
And I'm quite happy with the result ... In the video, the radio is running an USB drive.

Back