Rare Valiant At Car Show

Those Aussie "muscle cars" look like a Dart /Falcon reject, not my cup of tea. But if that's all there is then G'day!

Those Aussie "muscle cars" look like a Dart /Falcon reject, not my cup of tea. But if that's all there is then G'day!
Rejects?, OK then..

110308_AM_silver_charger_0123.jpg

CH_Hardtop.jpg

hgmonaro1.jpg

XB-GT-009-Modified.jpg

I'd gladly take one of those over a Volare or Aspen... which is what we got.

I'd gladly take one of those over a Volare or Aspen... which is what we got.
In many instances, those 'rejects' are fetching more money than US muscle cars, go figure.

I find them utterly fascinating. A reminder of a time when the world was a more interesting place. I actually browse an Australian classified site every so often and build my imaginary car collection. I'll take a "Chrysler by Chrysler" coupe please!

And if I were a Ford guy, I'd be all over the Falcons.

...I think the GM/Holdens are interesting, but a third-place effort.

OK, in this one thread engine sizes of 235, 245, and 265 have been stated. Were there three or is there some bad info here? I'm curious.

I have a picture of one of these Aussie A Bodies at home, with shots of the motor. Wish I were there now to post them.

In many instances, those 'rejects' are fetching more money than US muscle cars, go figure.
I'm sure a select few do sell for more than the American models. But Id be curious to see which cars they are being compared to on the sales market.

Again, as Carmine so accurately pointed out,"GM/Holden may interesting but a 3rd place effort." Really sums it up. I haven't seen to many of these roll across the auction block going for the big money. As a matter of fact, I've never seen one. That's not to imply that I'm ignorantly dismissing them as being junk. They always struck me as being more of a weak interpretation of the real thing.

Last edited:
I'm sure a select few do sell for more than the American models. But Id be curious to see which cars they are being compared to on the sales market.

Again, as Carmine so accurately pointed out,"GM/Holden may interesting but a 3rd place effort." Really sums it up. I haven't seen to many of these roll across the auction block going for the big money. As a matter of fact, I've never seen one. That's not to imply that I'm ignorantly dismissing them as being junk. They always struck me as being more of a weak interpretation of the real thing.
You may be taking what Carmine stated out of context, perhaps he can clarify.
As for prices for Australian cars, it's often cheaper to buy an imported US muscle car than to buy the local product, there are plenty of examples to be found, both in current sales and previous results. The most revered Aussie car is the Ford GTHO Phase 3, record prices were being paid for these years ago, now they have come down a bit, but still command big dollars: $750,000 for 36-year-old Ford Falcon - National - smh.com.au XY Ford Falcon GTHO Phase 3 fails to reach half-million mark at auction. Bathurst Monaros are going the same way, as are Toranas, 'normal' GTs and Chargers, in fact, even a replica GTHO commands 50K to 80K. Some people will not even consider US muscle cars, personally, the '68-'69 Dodge Charger ranks number 1, above all other muscle cars, but I'd take a local XA or XB Falcon GT coupe over a Mustang any day.

I find them utterly fascinating. A reminder of a time when the world was a more interesting place. I actually browse an Australian classified site every so often and build my imaginary car collection. I'll take a "Chrysler by Chrysler" coupe please!

The CH Chrysler by Chrysler hardtop is my favourite Australian car, photos really don't do it justice, same with the Facon hardtops, in the metal they are just awesome.

OK, in this one thread engine sizes of 235, 245, and 265 have been stated. Were there three or is there some bad info here? I'm curious.

I have a picture of one of these Aussie A Bodies at home, with shots of the motor. Wish I were there now to post them.
The Australian Hemi 6s were 215 (low compression), 245 (standard and 'S' -more power- variants) and 265 (same as the 245, standard and 'S' version, plus the souped up versions that are found in the R/T Valiant Chargers). There never was a Hemi 235.

Thanks for sharing. I'm not at all surprised to see these cars selling for those figures in the Australian market. The styling doesn't even come close to any of the American designs, just my opinion. If your into those cars then more power to you. Appreciating old cars doesn't mean that you have a one dimensional view of a certain brand or style or even era. Perhaps the term rejects was a bit harsh and sorry if you took offense. Thanks for the education, if I should stumble across one of these cars you'll be the first one I contact to flip it.

Last edited:
Here's the one I saw at one of the Flings in Van Nuys, CA. Was a sweet car. This was Fall Fling, October 2006:
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG
IMG_1315.JPG
IMG_1316.JPG

Looking at my own pictures, I've always been curious. They call these Hemis but the spark plugs are in a "wedge" position. Anyone have an explanation?

Looking at my own pictures, I've always been curious. They call these Hemis but the spark plugs are in a "wedge" position. Anyone have an explanation?
The engines didnt have a true HEMI head design and was more a PR exercise than anything. The pistons were flattops as used in 318's. Still, the 265 engine with triple webers that were jetted for racing put out 400HP.

The engines didnt have a true HEMI head design and was more a PR exercise than anything. The pistons were flattops as used in 318's. Still, the 265 engine with triple webers that were jetted for racing put out 400HP.
Case in point, Nothing to get a hard on over.

Case in point, Nothing to get a hard on over.
A six cylinder 265cu in. motor putting out 400 horsepower compared to the 440HP at 375 horsepower, it's worthy of taking note for sure. A much better match in a smaller car when you consider the weight of the six compared to an eight and the resulting improvement on handling.

Yes, "The Chrysler by Chrysler" CH Hardtop is a firm fav with me too, but just too damn rare. Even new they sold very poorly, less than 500 built (Gary will be able to confirm, better at the numbers than I). Went to look at one here in Queensland about a year and a half ago (a family was selling off their family's estate. Their father was a big Chrysler Australia collector). Unfortunately the car was missing it's cowl ID tag, and too many parts which are unique to The C x C Hardtop (not found on the sister Chrysler VH and VJ Hardtops either. These cars are also as rare as hen's teeth. Had a VH Hardtop "General Lee" but it was stolen. Sniff......"Poor, Poor Pitiful Me" - Warren Zevon).

Wanted AUS$5K for it, then AUS$4K. I passed - that tag and the missing parts just too much of a headache. But low and behold there is a lad trying to sell it now on ebay (2nd time he has posted it. Was first offered at AUS$14K. Would have a nice win on it if it had sold at that price lol):

valiant chrysler by chrysler CH Coupe | eBay

Back