Rarest C- Body?

Carsten, I've never heard of a "dealer installed 426 Hurst hardtop", do you have any documentation? I have photos of the dealer installed 426 Hurst Convertible. The last time it was offered for sale it sold for $25K USD, which at the time was cheap. The sunroof 300 Hurst may be the rarest, and the Sunroof Sport Fury 71 GT, at least as far as options are concerned. But then again there is the Pink 70 Fury III as well.

I would say the 1965 Ghia Imperial should be on the list of rarest C-body cars, as well as the 1970 Sport Fury 6BBL. cars. How about the White House Newport?

Just a thought!

Best regards.

the "Hemi" CV with the black interieur is well known.
I thought now nearly for a day where i read the info about the Hardtop. It was not on the net but on printed paper (magazine, book) but I can't say when & where it was despite a long time ago.

Carsten

re: 300M emblem

Continuity failure here.
What was made for an engineer, Tom?

Posted via Topify on Android

Sorry, it was about the 300M emblem. It actually exists. saw good pics of it on Ebay 6-8 years ago. I think I still have pic. will upload when I find it.

Tom

Sorry, it was about the 300M emblem. It actually exists. saw good pics of it on Ebay 6-8 years ago. I think I still have pic. will upload when I find it.

Tom
I remember that auction and the emblem. Caused quite the ruckus in the C body world.

I remember that auction and the

emblem. Caused quite the ruckus in the C body world.

What I wanted was the tooling process/vendor. The emblem was exactly like the 300 J/K/L emblems and noone in or out of the club can repro them. I have spare J emblems, but need a couple L emblems. Sold 2-3 of them and now I need one!
Tom

I personally don't think it exist but I read rumors of a prototype 1966 300 "M" with a 426 Hemi 4 speed. There are M badges out there so it just must exist. In the real world I vote for Scott's '65 300 L convertible pick.

The club researched this. the Early engineering idea was going to indeed make the 300M with 426 Hemi. Project was killed early. Then later, like Sept/Oct someone revived it for one last vote. Then it was killed for good! so Sad! My vote for rare is 67 300 Convert 4 speed. saw one for sale in MCG @ 10 years ago. Never made contact. Have seen 68 Newport 4 door sedan with 4 speed, bench seat!Salem, Ind. Rich guy owned warehouse in town proper/had 2 count em 2 49 Packard converts, 2 69 300 converts. couldn't see anything else, didn't want to get shot!

I have a 300m emblem

Its attached to the p.o.s. car that is at the @#$%& transmission shop, sorry had to vent, carry on.

What I wanted was the tooling process/vendor. The emblem was exactly like the 300 J/K/L emblems and noone in or out of the club can repro them. I have spare J emblems, but need a couple L emblems. Sold 2-3 of them and now I need one!
Tom

Was it a cloisonne type emblem?

anyone know of someone that restores emblems?

I can't recommend anyone....

It kinda depends on what type of emblem you have to restore. A pot metal emblem can be done, but the amount of detail that is left goes up with the cost. Cloisonne or champlevé emblems can be done too and there are people who specialize in that.

Either way, it's not cheap and usually a lot cheaper to find a good used or NOS emblem.

I can't recommend anyone....

It kinda depends on what type of emblem you have to restore. A pot metal emblem can be done, but the amount of detail that is left goes up with the cost. Cloisonne or champlevé emblems can be done too and there are people who specialize in that.

Either way, it's not cheap and usually a lot cheaper to find a good used or NOS emblem.

dought very much l'll find one..will be some fancy foot work to restore one I have but have a few ideas how to salvage it if nessasary which will more than likely be the case...thanx

yes it is a cloisennetype emblem. there is a company thar implies they can redo them,but sounds kind of iffy! they are Emblemagic.
Tom

yes it is a cloisennetype emblem. there is a company thar implies they can redo them,but sounds kind of iffy! they are Emblemagic.
Tom

thanx Tom..will give them a boo..hows the 300 comeing along?

the only 71 gt emblem lve seen on a gt..all the gts lve seen so far haven't had or were missin

Frank Mitchell has....er, HAD a 300M badge.
"Claimed" it was a vendor's sample for tooling approval that the Chrysler Engineers had ordered just in case it there would be a 300M in 1966. Also he said it was the only one in the world..... What everrrrrrr.
That is a true story. It was on Ebay long time ago for $695

Frank Mitchell has....er, HAD a 300M badge.
"Claimed" it was a vendor's sample for tooling approval that the Chrysler Engineers had ordered just in case it there would be a 300M in 1966. Also he said it was the only one in the world..... What everrrrrrr.
This is true. I t appeared on Ebay before he bought it for $600

Old thread but worth reviving due to some of us making the 'factory 4-speed' thread. (Factory 4-Speed-C-Body-Photo-Thread)

My vote for rarest production built would be this one.
4-speed C's are rare.
Musclecar guys tout 'AC wasn't available with 4-speed' as a blanket rule, but we've shown several 1965 C-bodies with 4-speed and AC - so that's even more rare.
But this car's combination is likely/truly 1 of 1 - someone had to pull strings to get the 4-speed in the VIP, and AC was NOT to be available in the 67+ era with HP engines.
Presumably it has the specific Dana axle, although I never inquired with the owner on that.

I've known of this car for ~25 years (perhaps thru the Yahoo C-body site?) and had some emailings with the owner back then, and he had all documentation for his car, it's legitimate.

Per this thread below, car was awaiting a restoration to make it even better, but owner hasn't logged in since the thread.
For Sale - 1968 Plymouth VIP. 440 with 4 speed and A/C
If anyone reads the above link - the car was not for sale, that was a misnomer from a FB page.

1672788422691.png

quick question .. did the group conclude on what "defines" rare? one of the millions of build combinations included, or just a "subset" (e.g. just color, and powertrain combination, with the subset of powertrains defined) of build combinations.

reason I ask as I recall "barnburner" discussions around that definition, and is the reliable (do we really know what went out the backdoor of any given factory, regardless of what factory claimed was avaiable) data available to verify what got built 65-78.

my first posts here nine years ago I got playfully and seriously "barbequed" about the E86, 72 Imp I missed. I know what I saw but had no "proof" (photo of car, VIN tag, buildsheet, etc) to back that up. this was before the internet and cellphones with cameras would have made that easy.

anyway, I'd like to see if we (if we are not/haven't already) can be the forum providing best answer in the world on this topic for our namesake sleds....

:thumbsup:

quick question .. did the group conclude on what "defines" rare? one of the millions of build combinations included, or just a "subset" (e.g. just color, and powertrain combination, with the subset of powertrains defined) of build combinations.

You can put together several criteria, but they should be verifiable.

Verifying can be done by looking at the
- VIN
- fender tag
- broadcast sheet
(Ordered in rising number of possible combinations.)

So that's the first choice we have to make.

The rarest one will be such that, based on engine/trans in a particular year/make/model/body style, that even if you include colors and smaller FT options - it will still be the only one.
Meaning - for the black Fury VIP, is there one like it in red, or with Auto-Temp, or different radio? I doubt it.
For a 1-of-5 convertible, is there a 1-of-5 station wagon? If so, those both count toward the final tally.

So you take the rarest of the rare, compare cars that are <10 built, you'll likely find a winner, or maybe a 3- or 4-way tie.

IMHO.

Back