Rarest C- Body?

As for 1968 RR ragtops, ZERO were built by Chrysler. The 1968 Satellite was available as a convertible, so if you have ever seen a "'68 RoadRunner convertible" in person, I can guarantee you it's a '68 Satellite, or a modified '69 RR rag.

Frank Mitchell has....er, HAD a 300M badge.
"Claimed" it was a vendor's sample for tooling approval that the Chrysler Engineers had ordered just in case it there would be a 300M in 1966. Also he said it was the only one in the world..... What everrrrrrr.

Could be true.......
Back in 88 I was working as a prototype mechanic assigned to developing service procedures on the pre production ZR1 corvette. We had three cars in the shop with LT5, (Lotus design engine), badges mounted on the rear facias.
One day a GM engineer came in and told me to remove all three badges, which I did while he watched. I tried to keep one but he insisted on taking all three due to some legal conflict.
The production cars had ZR1 badging in the same location when released.

ZR1 pic 1 (Large).jpg

Apparently my fathers 63 newport is rare. Factory a/c with a 3speed gearbox. I've never seen another one with standard shift. He wins all sorts of trophys in ny at mopar shows.

I know my car isn't rare but low numbers. Can someone tell me how many 68 300 convertables made with the center console? Also no ac but pw to include power vent windows.

No way to know how many console cars were built, those records don't exist. Love the power vents though...

Could be true.......
Back in 88 I was working as a prototype mechanic assigned to developing service procedures on the pre production ZR1 corvette. We had three cars in the shop with LT5, (Lotus design engine), badges mounted on the rear facias.
One day a GM engineer came in and told me to remove all three badges, which I did while he watched. I tried to keep one but he insisted on taking all three due to some legal conflict.
The production cars had ZR1 badging in the same location when released.

That's a real shame! Being an owner of two Lotus and an avid follower of the marque, it's a shame that GM, which owned Lotus at the time, would throw the company who actually designed one of the best power plants ever installed in a Vette, under the bus! Shame on them! No wonder I was never a big fan of GM!

bluefury, you have some really neat experiences. 78Brougham that is a big collection, and neat as well. I'm into British cars also. I'm completing a 70 Mini restoration at the moment.

2013_0607AB.jpg

2013_0217AA.jpg

bluefury, you have some really neat experiences. 78Brougham that is a big collection, and neat as well. I'm into British cars also. I'm completing a 70 Mini restoration at the moment.
I love Mini's! Looks like a great project!!! Keep me posted on your project! My wife and I saw hundreds of them a few years back at Watkins Glen. They have a Vintage Gran Prix every year that we attend. There were so many Minis it was unbelievable. This year the featured marque is MG.. Celebrating their 80th anniversary... so we're taking the MG. It'll be a blast.

Thanks guys. This is the second time I've owned this exact car. I've added the sunroof, disc brakes, upgraded the suspension, 5 speed (they never made one with that), and built the engine more. 1370cc. The car was raced in the Snowdonia Mountains originally, not that it matters but kinda cool anyways. I am close to finishing it. 2 years. I thought I could knock it out in 6 months, but you know how that goes. Short of the machine work, I've done 100% of the work. Paint (last time I painted a car was over 20 years ago - ugh!), welding, glass, etc.

78Brougham, I have owned a TR3, TR4, and a MGB. Fun cars. I liked the TR4 the best. Lighter than the MG, better steering than the TR3, but all so cool. I still have a few parts left over from all of them. I think I have a set of split bumpers, grill, tonneau cover, etc. Watkins would be a blast. I used to go to Road Atlanta when I lived there. The Walter Mitty event was a favorite.

Hopefully I can move on to the Fury soon!

2013_0722AA.jpg

2013_0224AA.jpg

2013_0719AD.jpg

2013_0719AC.jpg

Frank Mitchell has....er, HAD a 300M badge.
"Claimed" it was a vendor's sample for tooling approval that the Chrysler Engineers had ordered just in case it there would be a 300M in 1966. Also he said it was the only one in the world..... What everrrrrrr.

It wouldn't have been the only one made. It might be the only one left, but they would have made more than just one or two. Our shop made Porsche badges for approval once (just before we bought the place) and it didn't work out. We have a bunch of samples left in the attic.

i owned a 66 Polara 500 convertible 4 speed. I bought from original owner. he bought new at Gerdon's Chrysler in Corydon, Ind. it had 383 LOW performance 383 4 bbl with SIngle exhaust!. had console/tach, ps pb. got crushed at Wrights salvage in Louisville, ky. i've 66 converts and 66 4 speeds, but never the combo!. not oone! have searched hard.
i have a 65 300 L 4 speed. I lost contact on a 65 300 L convert 4 speed on 1978 in Louisville. guy took me for a ride and scared crap out of me!.
There were 105 L 4 speeds, 12 convert 4 speeds. 85 300 K 4 speeds and 4 convert 4 speeds exist.
never seen another 65 monaco 4 speed.

Last edited:
It was made for an engineer on the project.he used it as a paper weight it was on Ebay for $695 @ 6-8 years ago

Last edited:
that was 1960 not 61. there are 7. 1 is a convertible. the transmission was supposedly real common in France, where it was made. It was an option all the way back to 1958 in British luxury hotrods.

i owned a 66 Polara 500 convertible 4 speed. I bought from original owner. he bought new at Gerdon's Chrysler in Corydon, Ind. it had 383 LOW performance 383 4 bbl with SIngle exhaust!. had console/tach, ps pb. got crushed at Wrights salvage in Louisville, ky. i've 66 converts and 66 4 speeds, but never the combo!. not oone! have searched hard.
i have a 65 300 L 4 speed. I lost contact on a 65 300 L convert 4 speed on 1978 in Louisville. guy took me for a ride and scared crap out of me!.
There were 105 L 4 speeds, 12 convert 4 speeds. 85 300 K 4 speeds and 4 convert 4 speeds exist.
never seen another 65 monaco 4 speed.

I have seen/know of at least 3 383 Monacos with a 4-speed. Have yet to see or have any inkling of proof of another 426W 4-speed '65 Monaco besides mine(except for the prototype I mentioned in an earlier thread on this post). Chances are pretty good it may have been the only one built and an even better chance that it is more than likely the only one in existence.

There was a Hardtop with an added Hemi and a onvertible with (to be seen in Mopar Muscle back in 1987).
The Convertible had some documentation and paperwork but it was all dealer installed/changed/added. The CV had a window sticker like 8k back then. But as both cars are dealer installed/built/modified none of them are factory cars.

Despite that dealer built 300 CV (which has a black interieur btw) there were two other CVs being built according to Hurst itself. One crashed early in its live and went to a yard, the other still exists.

Carsten

Carsten

Carsten, I've never heard of a "dealer installed 426 Hurst hardtop", do you have any documentation? I have photos of the dealer installed 426 Hurst Convertible. The last time it was offered for sale it sold for $25K USD, which at the time was cheap. The sunroof 300 Hurst may be the rarest, and the Sunroof Sport Fury 71 GT, at least as far as options are concerned. But then again there is the Pink 70 Fury III as well.

I would say the 1965 Ghia Imperial should be on the list of rarest C-body cars, as well as the 1970 Sport Fury 6BBL. cars. How about the White House Newport?

Just a thought!

Best regards.

Back