Read the warnings on parts cleaners.

eyemon

Reaction score
Hello all, I want to pass on something that happened to me a number of years ago. I hope that this information might save someone else from a whole lot of trouble.-----My project at the time involved
an engine and transfer case rebuild for my Dodge. I didn't have access to a shop type parts washer so I bought a few cans of a well known parts cleaner which I dumped into a large pan and proceeded to wash the parts to prep them for painting. I guess that I was doing that for about three hours without any hand protection nor a chemical protective mask. Afterall, it wasn't my first day at the rodeo, and I had done the parts cleaning routine many times before. Well, the next day I could barely walk, I hurt at every joint, and the whites of my eyes had turned red. I was in real trouble by the time I could get myself to a doctor about a week later. I told him that I thought I had pulled some muscles while installing a heavy transfer case (I didn't connect the parts cleaner exposure) and he gave me some pain killer pills and sent me home. I wasn't getting any better so went to another doctor a while later who took some tests and found that my kidney and liver functions showed that major, serious, damage had occurred. Further research showed that the parts cleaner contained phenol, which is absorbed through the skin and will cause very serious and often permanent kidney and liver damage. I was lucky and eventually recovered, although I limped along for over two years. Believe me when I say that it was a tough two years! I hope that every car guy takes note of my story and pays attention to the warnings on the parts cleaner label. Like the one that says to not let it come in contact with skin, or to use only in a well ventilated place! You might not be as lucky as as I was! I hope this information helps someone else.

The last shop I worked at the owner would get on to the guys in the shop about doing this. I found out later that he had a tech that actually ended up dying from this very same thing. I never thought much about it until he told me pretty much the same story you just posted. It is a serious deal guys. Be safe and find away to take care of yourself when you have to deal with these chemicals!

For years I used to handle cleaners and chemicals with nary and thought to my personal health. Then I came across stories such as these. I always use protective gloves now as much as possible.

Thank you for the reminder of how important it is to read the labels, and to pay heed to their warnings.

^^^^I don't think so Stan, some people have greater sensitivity to harsh chemicals than others. 30 years ago would you have believed that in the not to distant future kids would be dropping dead from exposure to peanuts???^^^^^

If I could go back in time and and redo some things using better judgement or more common sense, I would.

Use every unfortunate past experience as a learning tool that now makes you a better person for it.

In a similar case, a repair shop in the town where I grew up used to use the PCB chemical from electrical transformers for parts cleaners and hand wash. Nothing came close at the time for cleaning grease off an old engine or whatever was covered according to the owner.

Unfortunately most of the mechanics there came down with cancer and a few died and the shop is now closed down with no one wanting to buy the place because of the contamination of the chemicals they used to use.
Im not sure where they used it all in the garage but it had lasting affects on all involved..

At work years ago it was normal to stick our arms up to our elbows in PCB laden transformer oil, and to clean high voltage wires with carbon tetrachloride. No masks or gloves. Things have changed considerably.

I got a bad case of hives from Gunk circa 80s and blowing off excess with shop air. Standing in that misty gunk/oil cloud didn't seem bad when I was in my early 20s. I have never had hives before or after that, I don't know if that was the cause but never did that again.

I handled all that bad crap and I feel fine.
Mutant-Zombie-Man-68034.jpg

commando1, Your statement that "this never happened" is flat out WRONG!!! I don't care if you've "heard it for years" or not! The purpose of my post was to warn others about what can happen if you have a bulletproof attitude (like I had) when working with parts cleaners. I could name the product, give dates, name my doctor(s), and provide copies of the OSHA material safety data sheets (obtained during the investigation into my medical problem) but I choose to not waste time trying to proove to you that what happened to me really DID happen! Have a swell day and don't forget to take proper protective measures when using those parts cleaners. Wouldn't want you to go through what I DID!

I simply can't imagine anyone using parts cleaners without gloves yet I guess some do.

I had a gallon can of "parts cleaner" that I had purchased. I was cleaning small parts so I simply would submerge them in the can with my left hand and brush or scrape them with my right... After about 20 minutes with my hand in the stuff I couldnt move it and it was numb with a tingle in it. I quickly pulled my hand out ,washed my hands off real good and never did that again... That was about 13 years ago... I never thought

I had a gallon can of "parts cleaner" that I had purchased. I was cleaning small parts so I simply would submerge them in the can with my left hand and brush or scrape them with my right... After about 20 minutes with my hand in the stuff I couldnt move it and it was numb with a tingle in it. I quickly pulled my hand out ,washed my hands off real good and never did that again... That was about 13 years ago... I never thought

Sounds like you were using a "cold parts cleaner", a lot more dangerous (inhalation wise) than regular parts cleaner fluid. When we pulled our hands out of the cold parts cleaner, the skin would be so loose that it looked like we were wearing gloves.

Sounds like you were using a "cold parts cleaner", a lot more dangerous (inhalation wise) than regular parts cleaner fluid. When we pulled our hands out of the cold parts cleaner, the skin would be so loose that it looked like we were wearing gloves.

Dont know what it was but I pounded the lid on that can never to open it again...It scared me

commando1, Your statement that "this never happened" is flat out WRONG!!! I don't care if you've "heard it for years" or not! The purpose of my post was to warn others about what can happen if you have a bulletproof attitude (like I had) when working with parts cleaners. I could name the product, give dates, name my doctor(s), and provide copies of the OSHA material safety data sheets (obtained during the investigation into my medical problem) but I choose to not waste time trying to proove to you that what happened to me really DID happen! Have a swell day and don't forget to take proper protective measures when using those parts cleaners. Wouldn't want you to go through what I DID!

You can waste my time. I would love to see where the doctors diagnosed you with phenol exposure which caused your problems. I am glad you are ok, but if you are going to panic us, then **** the info.

I think the bottom line is to read the warnings and take them very seriously. I do these days, it's not worth the risk.

I think the bottom line is to read the warnings and take them very seriously. I do these days, it's not worth the risk.
That's all. Use some common sense.
I have done stupid things. Used M.E.K. in an unventilated area. It didn't happen twice.

Back