Read the warnings on parts cleaners.

Was it you posting this same thing on various car forums a long time ago.
I was lucky and eventually recovered, although I limped along for over two years. Believe me when I say that it was a tough two years!

Thanks for mentioning M.E.K Commando1, it is really bad stuff. In the 60's-70's USAF guys used it to degrease Jet engines all day long. 10-20 engines in open containers waiting to be degreased. It smelled so bad I couldn't even go in the area. The guys got used to it I guess. I'm waiting for the day when I wake up and can't breath anymore. nobody told them it would kill them. Many friends of mine are long dead that were in that AFSC. 45-49 years old, mostly blood disorders and cancer. But in those days Fire trucks sprayed foam in the Jungle as defoliant full of agent orange, and thought nothing of it. Vietnam era Vets deserve anything we can do for them, considering how we were treated. Back to the post, that carb cleaner stuff is also very bad, and can cause the same symptoms.

TNTrooper428: I joined this forum with the expectation that I could learn from experts and also to pass along some of what I have already learned that might help others. You "would like to see my medical records"? You can't be serious! However, I just happen to still have the MSDS from way back in 1985 and will be happy to send copies to you via USPS since to attach them in my world of limited computor ability is a long and drawn out process involving photographing and then loading the photos into my PC. Just send me an address via Private Message. By the way, I don't recall trying to "panic' anybody and also I don't "s--t
info"

I still get a bit careless when doing a small wipe down jobs with varsol but there's always a box of disposable gloves readily available that I generally use.

I was given a can of something unkown and was told to use it to clean some part or something.
I put on disposable gloves and as soon as whatever stuff it was touched my goves, they dissolved.

I recall then using something else... lol

did you work with that stuff? M.E.K. will eat a rubber glove. After 20 minutes or so, you get dizzy, and your hands go numb for a while. then you cough up crap. It wasn't pretty.

I use Acetone, then M.E.K. if the acetone doesn't work.
But I won't even open the can unless I am outdoors.
Damn, that stuff effed me up all night.

Was it you posting this same thing on various car forums a long time ago.

I bet you're thinking of the posts about brake cleaner and hot parts. I could never get to the bottom of if that was real or not. I tend to believe that it was.

I've seen people do some really stupid stuff with solvents and cleaners... and some aren't around anymore. I've seen some companies do stuff like that to their people out of ignorance and/or not caring too... Reminds me of the walk up paint both where they sprayed Mil-Spec epoxy paint at one place I worked. It had to kill the woman that sprayed paint and her replacement before anyone knew or cared enough to do anything about it.

No. I've only been on this forum since 08/14. This happened to me in 1985 and lasted for about 2 years although I did end up with diminished but acceptable kidney function which continues to this day. I'm sure that there must be many others around (or not) who also suffered similiar medical complications. It was my own fault because my hands were in the stuff for 3 continous hours and I breathed in the fumes for that long too. No one needs to remind me just how stupid it was for me to have done that!

I use Acetone, then M.E.K. if the acetone doesn't work.
But I won't even open the can unless I am outdoors.
Damn, that stuff effed me up all night.
it isn't user friendly. I said they should dump it on the enemy Instead of the bombs, it would have probably been more effective. I used it to clean the fuselage where the jet exhaust blackened the paint. it took everything off, then we had to paint the airplane again. It took hours to get that feeling off your hands from that stuff. I was 20 and didn't know any better.

I bet you're thinking of the posts about brake cleaner and hot parts.
That was the one about phosphine gas I recollect. Now THAT **** needs to be banned!!!
BTW, brake cleaner is now being used to make Meth....

TNTrooper428: I joined this forum with the expectation that I could learn from experts and also to pass along some of what I have already learned that might help others. You "would like to see my medical records"? You can't be serious! However, I just happen to still have the MSDS from way back in 1985 and will be happy to send copies to you via USPS since to attach them in my world of limited computor ability is a long and drawn out process involving photographing and then loading the photos into my PC. Just send me an address via Private Message. By the way, I don't recall trying to "panic' anybody and also I don't "s--t
info"

There have been a number of chemicals that were used in parts cleaner fluids of the 1980's that were banned by EPA and OSHA in the early 1990's. The reason for the ban was that those particular chemicals were causing cancer in laboratory rats. I have known people that have succumbed to cancer in the form of Leukemia from those chemicals but I have yet to hear of those chemicals causing the symptoms you described. Maybe the air is thinner up there in Alaska. I agree that you should familiarize yourself with any chemicals or paint products that you use, but don't write up a post on parts cleaner fluids from the 1980's like they are still using the same chemicals today. It is misleading and does cause concern for those of us that still use parts cleaners everyday. Oh, and save your stamps, if I had known you were digging up bones from 30 years ago, I would not have bothered responding to your post. So, what are you doing nowadays??

Back