Seat belt placement?

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
I'd like to install 4 standard lap belts in my 57 Belvedere. Were there optional seat belts when new and where do I drill the holes?

I believe they were an option already in 57 but few cars got them. My 60 Dart did not have belts but the mounting spots were provided. Not sure about 57 but here is what to look for. Under the floor pan, look for some dimples up in the hump and to the rear of the front seat. Here are some pics of where mine were and what they look like. I only added the front belts but I did look for the dimples for the rear belts. I found the outer rear dimples in the wheel wells and the inner ones under the rear seat.

Inked100_0571.jpg

Inked100_0577.jpg

Here is another tip....If you already have the carpet installed, you don't want to drill a hole thru the carpet. What I did was drill a 1/4" hole in the dimple from underneath. Push a scratch awl up through the carpet then heat up a length of 1/4" pipe to melt a 5/8" hole in the carpet.
Then drill the 9/16" hole for the anchor. Here are some more pics.
Hope it helps.

100_0579.JPG

100_0580.JPG

100_0581.JPG

100_0584.JPG

100_0594.JPG

100_0606.JPG

100_0679.JPG

I have a 61 Fury that has factory installed seat belts.
This is what they look like for 61.
Mopar logo inside the gold shield.
A VERY rare option for standard production passenger cars in 61.
I believe my 61 was a autorama show car with many unusual options.
Police package 61s had about 40% build ratio with factory belts.
This is from Darrel Davis book.
#7 from IBM card breakdown.
If I were installing belts in a non belted car I would use the mounting hardware from a 62-64 Chryslers

IMG_8609.jpeg

IMG_8608.jpeg

I got these belts out of a 1955 Buick. I think a dealer installed belt. I will be using these in one of my 61s. Yes I know they are old,but I would rather have them than nothing at all.

IMG_8611.jpeg

IMG_8612.jpeg

SGT Fury
I hope you are planning to get your can get your belts re-webbed. Looking at the pics, they appear to be frayed.
The original labels can be reused if desired. They can either be sent out to a seat belt vendor (Seat Belt Planet www.seatbeltplanet.com, (a veteran owned company), Retro Belt www.retrobelt.com these are two that I know of.)
A trivia piece of knowledge; according to my upholstery guy, there are only two manufactures of seat belt webbing. Both are in Europe.
Stay Warm
Omni

If I can get a vintage looking like belt material?
Otherwise I will use them as is!

(Don’t do this at home)
I have on occasion used seat belts to use as sling to pull or move engines around when I didn’t have a chain handy

While on the subject of seat belts. I got these belts from a 66 Newport. They must have fallen under rear seats when new?
Still had these factory seat belt operating instructions on them.

Anybody ever seen these instructions before?

IMG_8615.jpeg

IMG_8614.jpeg

Belts for your 57 were only available through the factory accessory book over the counter. Placement is where ever is comfortable for you.
Originals had a bolt with a loop in the floor with a large washer on the underside. The belt attached with a forged clip.

This is a example of a original OEM seat belt including NOS mounting hardware. The correct belt material is called (7 panel). Look close at it.
The webbing material is usually available on ebay in many colors although all originals were a tan/brown color.
Most trimmers won't stitch new sebbing unless they know you well enough. It's illegal for them to do it.
These will be installed in my 61 convertible when the time comes.

1705872373792.png

Back