recent trip back to Gibbs salvage

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I need a A/C line between the receiver dryer and the expansion valve on the Admiral to complete the upgraded A/C system. So I thought a trip to one of my favorite salvage yards would yield one, no luck.
But I did see lots of cool stuff there. This yard is off the beaten path on a very hilly plot of land. I would guess there is usually 1500-2000 cars there, lots from the early 50's through the 60's and 70's.

With the foliage dormant, this time of year is the only time some of the cars can be accessed, or even seen. Unlike a Pic-N-Pull the cars here have been slowly returning to nature in a tangle of briars for a long time now. The one C body I knew would yield the A/C line was gone, along with a 66 Fury that was parked next to it. The crusher, most likely.

I got a few new pictures though.

The 65 Fury III looked like it was a decent car before it got there. Factory A/C car, nice body with a really nice trunk floor. engine missing.
I could be off a year on the Polara's.

66 polara 500 front gibbs (Large).jpg

66 polara 500 seats gibbs (Large).jpg

66 Polara 500, gibbs (Large).jpg

66 polara, gibbs (Large).jpg

62 Fury convertible, Engrams (Large).jpg

65 Fury, gibbs (Large).jpg

65 fury trunk floor, gibbs (Large).jpg

AH Will? Do I say :sSig_thanks: or :BangHead:. Do you know how deep I'm into my little GT Scamp Plymouth FWD trucklet az of today my friend? The changes SO FAR ARE: 4 wheel 5X15 disc brakes all around shod with what are referred to az Swiss Cheese 40 hole wheelz, no more door handles, just remote popperz, Elizabeth Dole 3rd brake lite frenched into the tail gate, one of the factory 248 Direct Connection '83 'Page roof wingz mounted above the B-pillar after drilling 4 holez in a perfectly good roof, power windowz, power leather seatz, '88 LeBaron digital dash and tilt column cut down and custom fit to look like Mother put it there. Now you wanna talk about changing the complete under hood and under dash wire harnesses and doing an engine swap that takez the little 2250lb Beast from 84HP to just under 200HP? Now do I need another one:soapbox: lol? Hell Yeah, I just bought an '87 Cream Puff LeBaron Coupe out of SoCal that should be at my door step within another 30 dayz, ah the sickness. Marry Christmas to you and Ellie my friend. Cold St Pauli in Pa. come July, Jer

I need a A/C line between the receiver dryer and the expansion valve on the Admiral to complete the upgraded A/C system. So I thought a trip to one of my favorite salvage yards would yield one, no luck.
attachment.php

Any day in the junkyard is a good day for me... wish I had a local one as great as yours. Several years ago, while in Phoenix for my brothers wedding, I took a day aside from family crap to go to the DVAP 50s yard. Really great guy at the counter called himself Red Beard... not a tool like the guys on TV. I had a great day, took lots of pictures and wanted to take everything home.

Sorry you struck out on that A/C line. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I will. Try some local hydraulic shops and even some A/C shops may be equipped to help. In my personal experience, when everyone else says no, I go to the local truck parts shop and ask if they know where... it amazes me how many back corner of the industrial park shops there are that can make almost any line or hose you need. I never worked on big trucks, but it seems almost everything for the big equipment is custom made, or cheaper to have custom made.

I hope this helps, and I won't bother you with it again.
Best of luck and a good Christmas journey to you
Jeff

Almost every shop I've been to, Main St. or back of a seedy industrial park, dont have the materials and tools to make up a hard line.
Hose, connectors, and fittings. That's it. No plumbing thank you very much.

Back