Remove inner trim (non-door card) on convertible '69?

system11

Reaction score
I need to remove the rear trim cards from both sides on a 69 Fury convertible, can't seem to find anything about them in the service manual - does the rear bench need to come out to remove them? Are there any clips likely to break I should be aware of? I can see one screw on the panel edge where the doors close, and I imagine there are one or two in the arm rests.

On one side the window winder slips and on the other the glass isn't adjusted properly and there's a screw trying to stick through the vinyl from the inside outwards. I found the glass adjustment instructions but I need to know how that trim comes off without damaging it.

Apologies if this has been answered before, I couldn't find anything in the search but I may be using the wrong terms.

The seat definitely needs to be removed. Once it's out, it should be pretty self explanatory. I think there's the usual two large phillips under the armrest and a couple of small ones on the lower portion? And a few small ones on the upper portion?

The manual makes it look like there are no screws holding the cushion in, and just 2 screws at the bottom of the seat back - does that sound correct? If so that's going to be incredibly easy with the roof down.

I'm going to be limited in the amount of time I can spend there on Friday, got a big shopping list of details and photos to gather, checks to make, got to take the well liner away with me so I can repair it (I'll just sew up the tear where it got tangled in the mechanism). I don't think I'll have time to look at the window adjustments and the scratches aren't going to get worse if it's just left wound up - but I really want to sort out whatever is trying to break through the trim vinyl. I'll probably take a hack saw and some small bolt cutters with me - it's definitely some kind of screw which is too long.

Push the seat bottom towards the rear (about an inch) with your knees and then pull up and out, then remove the two screws and pull the seat back upwards and out.

To remove the rear seat, just push the bottom in and then pull up and out. Once that's out, there are only two bolts holding on the seat back. After you have the seat removed, the armrests should pull out and the cards can be removed.

Can’t imagine ‘69 is much different than this ‘68. One on both sides for rear bench.
image.jpg

Ok that worked, removing the seat back was a bit harder as someone has lost the bolts and pushed the lower mounting rail you put the screw in, inside the box section it bolts to. Quick n lazy ... I don't suppose someone knows the thread size? Everything off the shelf here is metric so I'm going to have to order from somewhere. Surprised that the service manual doesn't contain any part numbers.

So the process was:
1) Remove seat base by pushing/lifting - someone hadn't fitted it right so one side was already free
2) Lift out seat back - honestly due to the incorrect seat installation this would have been really difficult in a hardtop.
3) Remove 2x screws under arm rest, armrest section including courtesy light can be moved away here
4) Remove screwed in stud at top rear of card - this is one of the top boot attachment studs.
5) Remove screw at top front of card, just inside the door close panel
6) Release 4x clips along the front edge of the card - very easy to damage your door card here, they're metal clips attached to the card with a 'hoop' style clip fitting that pushes into the holes on the metal skin. The clip is stronger than the card it's attached to. They can be easily released with a small tack lifter between the door seal and the front card edge - you can pull it away enough to check positions without causing damage.
7) Lift up to release card from window channel.

I adjusted the window while I was there, but the problem was actually one of the clips which had been fitted to the card backwards, trapped between the card and the metalwork. I also found at least 3 different cut & frayed speaker cables under there. Floor is reassuringly solid under there with only light surface rust in places.

Back