Replace heater core

BigCRig, I appreciate that you found one for a 1966, but the original poster's car, and mine, is a 1970. For that year nothing is listed.

BigCRig, I appreciate that you found one for a 1966, but the original poster's car, and mine, is a 1970. For that year nothing is listed.
10-4 I get it but maybe you could make one from a 66 work if it's smaller,does the same thing Not sure about the a/c non a/c heater core differences,but it may be something to look into,and the cost difference, would be worth it IF you could make it work. If you need the dimensions, I would be happy to get them for you.

It appears there ain't nothing available for a '66 300 with A/C either, except from the MoparMall guys for $437.00. Aaarrrgh. . .

Yiiikes. $400-$500 bucks for a simple radiator core. What gives. I guess I could pull the old one out and see if it can be repaired. Damn that sucks a big one.

This convo was over on the Imperial site....
From Dick:

You have a bad heater core, the vapor is coming out the defroster vents and condensing on the cold glass. Disconnect and block off the hoses to your heater system until you get a chance to have the heater recored. Any radiator shop can put a new core in your heater, but he needs the old core to swap the end tanks and fittings. Just block off the hoses, take out the old core, and take it to a radiator shop. It will cost under $100.

From Neal:

I had my heater core removed by a local readiator shop in summer 2001. They sent it out for a rebuild by Old Air Products in Fort Worth.
Their web site is www.oldairproducts.com; 4615 Martin St., Fort Worth, TX 76119;

817/531-2665. It took about 2 or 3 weeks, I think, and the price was fairly reasonable, though I don't remember how much. The heater core was dribbling on the floorboard, so I had it done before it got worse. It's been fine since

The online shop only goes up to 1969 apparently...unless someone knows otherwise?

Yiiikes. $400-$500 bucks for a simple radiator heater core for an A.C. car.
Coulda told you that. . . :p
That's because it includes the a.c. evaporator.
Actually, there are some out there for about 350.

Gary, you have to pull it, regardless. Hold off buying a new one until you see what you've got.

Last edited:
Yeh I know Stan. I hate the prospect of having to park it until I get this all figured out. Nothing suks more than parking my NP and driving the "other" car.

Yeh I know Stan. I hate the prospect of having to park it until I get this all figured out. Nothing suks more than parking my NP and driving the "other" car.
Personally, I'd pop for the new unit. You'll have a new heater core and a new evaporator . Wouldn't it suck if you put back in a repaired unit and the evaporator craps the bed?

Why don't you try to buy a used complete heater box and take it apart, get that heater core repaired (if it needs it) and then swap it for yours?

I'll bet you can find a complete box easier and cheaper than just buying a used core.

Gary....Make sure you have enough antifreeze in your cooling system until you sort out the heater core. It was freezing last night in the mid-Atlantic area. I don't want to see you lose an engine over $15 of antifreeze.

Personally, I'd pop for the new unit. You'll have a new heater core and a new evaporator . Wouldn't it suck if you put back in a repaired unit and the evaporator craps the bed?

It kills me to agree with Stan ..... It kills me more to announce it

so just a quick update. I think this project is gonna wait until after the winter passes. We actually got a bit of snow a couple evenings ago. ..didnt stick any, still old man winters calling card. He's on his way. If that werent bad enough I have to work out in the elements now.....very shitty....very very shitty. I dont foresee any warmer days coming along so...gonna pull the batt for the long slumber I guess.

Back