Replace heater core

Sooooo....gonna pick up where I left off...the car been under wraps since October/Nov last year....time to KO this damn leaky htr core. Another thread sez pulling the dash isnt req'd...so.I just got my courage back, lol. The FSM is hilariously short with removal directions. So bless me before I dive into this, lol.

Sooooo....gonna pick up where I left off...the car been under wraps since October/Nov last year....time to KO this damn leaky htr core. Another thread sez pulling the dash isnt req'd...so.I just got my courage back, lol. The FSM is hilariously short with removal directions. So bless me before I dive into this, lol.
Gary, start a new thread. I enjoy your Epic 30 page headlong dives into The Abyss... :)
Godspeed.

Hi all, haven't been on for years, but now I'm back! I am knees deep in my hearter box & core refurbishing on my 1967 Dodge Polara "E" 383 car. When you put on the heat, your nose and eyes were burning! I thought mouse nest, but it was actually the fibers from the spent insulation. Pulling it was not easy...Acually once the glove box was out it wasn't bad, but that was the WORST part was I ruined my glove box, so I'm going to try to rebuilt it with gluse, new cardboard & paint. I was hoping to find a replacement on line, but no luck there. (If anyone has any suggestions).

Posted some pics where I'm currently at. I'm thinking of painting the inside of the heater box with black high temp paint (Again, if anyone has any suggestions). I ordered a new Spectrum core (non-AC) from Rock Auto. Like everything I do its a slow process because I work 6 days a week and rediculous hours at my job (I work at a Chrysler/Dodge/Ram dealership in sales), but I will try to keep posting with more pics! Now looking for seals & gaskets kit for the heater box (And once again, if anyone has any suggestions).

Let me know how you making out with your heater box 70_Nport!

IMG_7532.JPG

IMG_7530.JPG

IMG_7534.JPG

IMG_7535.JPG

Ok all, here's the update about the heaterbox. Well, with the no-life schedule of mine, I was refered by a gentleman at a car show to take it to Mr Heaterbox and Interior Restoration Services / Premium Dash Decals in Harrowsmith, ON K0H 1V0, Canada. I live in Colchester VT, so it was a 5 hr ride or so, but I made a day of it with a few stops at my Tim Hortin's! (Saved on shipping and had fun).They will fully clean, blast, powder coat the box, restore the motor & fan and preasure test & refurbish the core. They said they like to re-use the core because the aftermarket on a lot of models doesnt fit correctly through the port holes in the firewall.

I have heard nothing but good things from everyone about this father & son family operation. I will update everyone about how it comes out...they said it would be 3 months. (I probably still would not be able to start it in 3 months...lol). The insulation and gaskets they use are available it Detroit Muscle Tech if you want to do it yourself:
MOPAR Heater Box Rebuild Gasket Sets - A Body 67-72 Heater Box - Detroit Muscle Technologies, LLC
The website may not show C-Body, but if you call they have it!!! I spoke with them and they are working on expanding thier Cbody product line!

Here is the web for Mr Heaterbox in Canada:
Shop - Premium Dash Decals / Mr Heaterbox
They are a dash resto company too! They have Mopars at thier house and are a MOPAR family! (See pics) Hope this hepls all!

IMG_7916.JPG

IMG_7918.JPG

IMG_7930.JPG

I just replaced the heater core on my 71 300 and it was relatively easy. Under the dash and behind the glove box. I found that a 2002 Durango heater core fit perfectly on the 71. Only swore twice.....

I just replaced the heater core on my 71 300 and it was relatively easy. Under the dash and behind the glove box. I found that a 2002 Durango heater core fit perfectly on the 71. Only swore twice.....
Was your 71 equipped with A/C??

Welp! There it is. . . Now we need to find an A/C heater core for an '02 Durango and see if it fits Big John's car. . .
My heater core is OK (for the moment). Gary's car, the subject of the thread, is equipped with A/C and one of the issues is buying a reasonably priced heater core.

As of right now, the only replacement option is Obsolete Air's piece.

1970 1971 1972 1973 Chrysler Imperial Plymouth Fury GTX Heater Core Air conditioning

The heater core looks like this with two cores.

NDg5NTM1NkNBMUVFMjEwOEYzMjY6MDA4YTI0N2E2ZjFhYjgxZWRmODAwZmZmZTU0Yzg1NTg6Ojo6OjA=.jpg

NDg5NTM1NkNBMUVFMjEwOEYzMjY6ZDM0MjU4ZDBlZjBhNmVmMDkwZDY5YzMzZTZhOTBhYjQ6Ojo6OjA=.jpg

BTW, they also have the evaporator. That's something that I searched high and low for a couple years ago.

1970 1971 1972 1973 Chrysler Newport / New Yorker / E Class / New Yorker 5th Ave Evaporator

NDg5NTM1NkNBMUVFMjEwOEYzMjY6ZjYzYmViNDQ1ZjE5YjEwN2Q3YWE0NzExMDU0YmEyNDY6Ojo6OjA=.jpg

I should have been clearer.

That really isn't what the original looks like. I don't have a pic from when mine was apart, but it looked similar to this one. I would assume that this is configured like this so there is less loss of heat as the water flows across the core.

It looks to me like that replacement is just two smaller, generic cores put together to make it work.

291838201405_1.jpg

Back