Replacement Carb Question/Opinions

Bob, did you edit your post later? Because when I saw that earlier, there wasn't all that info there!

I called Eddy yesterday, and their phone system said they were closed for the holidays. But maybe the lines were just busy, and someone there forgot to update the message.....

I'm pretty sure now that I can put a Performer straight on the manifold. My stock intake fits a Holley 4160, which is a square bore. A Performer should fit that. I'll make sure to have the Chrysler throttle lever adapter, though. I think that the Holley equivalent is what's missing on my current Holley, which the PO decided to fix with a stack of washers (not that I haven't been there myself in the past, I'm not judging).

And I like your idea of using foil to determine clearance. I had planned on using Play-Do or Plasticine, but I don't have either of those things around. Foil, I have. My other modified cars in the past have had plenty of under-hood clearance, so I've never really had to think about it before. But I'm getting a better idea of how and what to check, so I'll look at manifolds and air cleaners for the future.

I really like the idea of keeping it mostly stock-looking, so it would be awesome if I could find a way to run a dual-snorkel air cleaner with a bit higher-rise manifold. But that is definitely a project and concern for another day.

Moving ahead with the Performer carb swap.

Thanks for all the advice and comments here. Will update my thread in the Imperial section when I get movement.

-Jonathan

Bob, did you edit your post later? Because when I saw that earlier, there wasn't all that info there!

I called Eddy yesterday, and their phone system said they were closed for the holidays. But maybe the lines were just busy, and someone there forgot to update the message.....

I'm pretty sure now that I can put a Performer straight on the manifold. My stock intake fits a Holley 4160, which is a square bore. A Performer should fit that. I'll make sure to have the Chrysler throttle lever adapter, though. I think that the Holley equivalent is what's missing on my current Holley, which the PO decided to fix with a stack of washers (not that I haven't been there myself in the past, I'm not judging).

And I like your idea of using foil to determine clearance. I had planned on using Play-Do or Plasticine, but I don't have either of those things around. Foil, I have. My other modified cars in the past have had plenty of under-hood clearance, so I've never really had to think about it before. But I'm getting a better idea of how and what to check, so I'll look at manifolds and air cleaners for the future.

I really like the idea of keeping it mostly stock-looking, so it would be awesome if I could find a way to run a dual-snorkel air cleaner with a bit higher-rise manifold. But that is definitely a project and concern for another day.

Moving ahead with the Performer carb swap.

Thanks for all the advice and comments here. Will update my thread in the Imperial section when I get movement.

-Jonathan

I don't remember....CRS. LOL! I've posted the carb/intake/linkage/air cleaner info on several threads on FCBO. Damn if I can find any of them. I don't mind re-posting the info if it helps someone. It can be a PITA (and costly) for someone to figure out this stuff. I don't mind sharing info since I've done it numerous times on many previous projects.

Back