Restore vs Remodel

OldGold

Reaction score
I am beginning to line out thoughts about how to proceed on my upcoming project and need advice. The economy still stinks; I am getting tired of watching my car rust in the yard; it needs some severe help that I lack the knowhow to do.

Do I treck the country looking for used or NOS parts that are few and far between?
Do I enlist local machinists to craft one-off productions for an arm and a leg?
Do I use a piece of automotive history as a guinea pig in my learning a new art?
At what point in customizing will I be black listed and not spoken to anymore?

I am beginning to line out thoughts about how to proceed on my upcoming project and need advice. The economy still stinks; I am getting tired of watching my car rust in the yard; it needs some severe help that I lack the knowhow to do.

Do I treck the country looking for used or NOS parts that are few and far between?
Do I enlist local machinists to craft one-off productions for an arm and a leg?
Do I use a piece of automotive history as a guinea pig in my learning a new art?
At what point in customizing will I be black listed and not spoken to anymore?

Hey dude. The call is up to you I'd say, that's half the fun of it, I don't think you will get "black listed" although there are MANY of us here would love to see your car brought back to "factory" newness..as if you just picked it up from the Plymouth dealer....and then there are others who like the "customized" look. Ultimately its up to you I say. Me, I'm some where between "factory correctness" and "car craft" customization (probably closer to factory)...I like to do my customization under the hood, and leave the outside look factory stock or so. Either way I would hate to see another Plymouth C body car rust away.

My 2 pennies for ya.

A 19 year old that wants a car to drive around in? I think you just answered your own question. WITH your boy/girl, you didn't specify, do what you need to do to make it roadworthy and safe. By the time it's a driver I have a feeling you will have already figured out which way you want to take it. I think the hardest part is the start for people that have had these cars sitting in there yards and barns for so many years. Cheers and best of luck.

Decide what you want to do and what your budget is. If you just want reliable transportation forget about NOS. Go with new aftermarket parts or good used. I don't know where you live but I've had good luck dealing with Murray Park.
http://www.cbodies.com/

Thanks a bunch yall. I pretty well know I want it to look original from the outside except maybe some 6-hole mag wheels. I've toyed with the idea of building the grille from scratch. Will definitely change the interior its a mess right now. I'm kinda torn on the powertrain, its already not original, but its always had a 318 in it. I'm still quite in the planning stages; my Mrs. says itll be a summer project to get it started and in a better part of the yard :tearyeyed:
Oh and all the rest homes for C bodies in Ohio, I'm feeling a roadtrip coming on.

Back