Resurrection of my 1970 Chrysler 300 Convertible

Jubilee Blue Metallic

1970-chrysler-pc.jpg

Thanks! Jubilee Blue Poly, kind of rolls off the tung...

Continuing my story...
2011 I only had time to work on small parts. By 2012 I was waiting for the warm weather to really hit the project with all of my nearly 50 year-old gusto could manage (sorry, I gave up working in the snow and rain back in the 1980’s), but disaster struck and I needed shoulder surgery in June of that year and I was done for the season. However, with the help of my wife and daughter we were still able to coat the trunk pan and rails in POR-15 and muscle the pan into place. Some creative bending allowed us to get it in place without cutting it up:
DSC01880.JPG

DSC01878.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

Best wife on the planet, just don’t mess with her and a crow-bar:

14BA23C4-6C3B-43DE-940A-4A60D1AD3429_4_5005_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Continuing my story...
2011 I only had time to work on small parts. By 2012 I was waiting for the warm weather to really hit the project with all of my nearly 50 year-old gusto could manage (sorry, I gave up working in the snow and rain back in the 1980’s), but disaster struck and I needed shoulder surgery in June of that year and I was done for the season. However, with the help of my wife and daughter we were still able to coat the trunk pan and rails in POR-15 and muscle the pan into place. Some creative bending allowed us to get it in place without cutting it up:

Best wife on the planet, just don’t mess with her and a crow-bar:

A family project is a beautiful thing.

I keep teasing the girls that someday they will want to be taken to the church in it on their wedding day. Of course I get the eye roll and the comment, "in that pile of rusty metal?"

Well, at least one of them doesn't think twice about picking up a sandblaster or a body hammer...

Recently, I spent some time cleaning up and examining the floors. For me, the solid floors and rockers are the major reason this car is worth saving. There are a few pin holes, but nothing worth welding in metal:

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1431.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

A coat of POR15 actually makes it look nice:

IMG_1432.JPG

James

Last edited:
Thanks, man! It was your build thread that kicked me in the butt, to get going on this.

So, brining this up to date, I decided to pull the axel and springs out and do some cleaning and painting:

IMG_1535.JPG

Of course I snapped a bunch of studs on the forward brackets of the springs. So far I've not found any replacements for something that seems as common as wheel studs.

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

Typical 8 3/4 except for the chunk missing from part of the propeller shaft yoke:

IMG_1559.JPG

Her it is after a good purple cleaning:

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

And then some paint:

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

Last edited:
Brake shoes had a lot of meat left on them:

IMG_1604.JPG

Cleaned up and added some high-heat paint:

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG

Evapo-Rust the small parts:

IMG_1657.JPG

Before:

IMG_1441.JPG

After:

IMG_1459.JPG

I tried sand blasting the drums with a little 20oz hand blaster and it barely made a scratch. I just picked up a small blasting cabinet from Harbor Freight so I can have some fun over the long weekend, so more pics next week. Have a good Labor Day weekend every one!

Last edited:
I would replace the pinion seal and cover gasket since you got it apart. Axle seals too if they are leaking or seeping.

Astounding, nothing like progress!

As promised, here are photos of my newly acquired parts car. It is a running 1970 300 2 door hard top, A/C, power windows, power door locks, power seat, white interior.

Decoding of Fender Tag​
E85 440-4 Barrel
D32 H-D A-727 TorqueFlite Trans / Some Years A-998
CM23
C = Chrysler
M = Medium
23 = 2 Door Hardtop
T0C
T = 440, 350hp
0 = 1970
C = Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA

TX9 = Paint Code: Black / Black Velvet
M6XW
Trim Grade/Style/Color
M = Medium
6 = Vinyl Bucket Seats
X = Black

EW1 = Upper Door Frame: White / Alpine White
A30 = Date Built: 10 / 30 / 1969
Order Number: 083172
TX9 =
Roof Type OR Color: Black / Black Velvet
H51 = Single Air /w Heater
P31 = Power Windows

P41 = Power Door Locks
L31 = Hood / Fender Mount Turn Signal
C21 = Center Seat Foldown Armrest
P25 = Power LS Bucket or 50/50

B51 = Power Assisted Brakes
G11 = Tinted Glass All
V5X =
Black - Mouldings - Protective Insert Body Side

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

James

Last edited:
Anyone know where the switch is for the power locks?

IMG_1878.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

Love the over-flow setup.

IMG_2349.JPG

Brakes are non-existent.

IMG_1886.JPG

The motor does not smoke, but there is a lot of blow-by.

IMG_1887.JPG

Last edited:
Trunk and the floors are well ventilated, but the frame rails and rockers are surprisingly clean.

IMG_1890.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG

Wheels! I never thought I get a set of these. All are in great shape except one has some flaking chrome. What size tires should these have?

IMG_1893.JPG

IMG_1905.JPG

Front:
IMG_1904.JPG

Back:
IMG_1906.JPG

Light group:

IMG_1899.JPG

IMG_1900.JPG

James

IMG_1903.JPG

Last edited:
isnt that little metal "power locks" square the switch? They slide, dont they?

I'll be down tomorrow for my front frame rails

Rear seats are actually nice. Fronts are wasted. I was disapointed I didn't find a build sheet. Maybe it's hiding under the fronts or in the dash.

IMG_1901.JPG

Don't know if you can see this, but the dash pad looks like it was green and then painted black.

IMG_1898.JPG

Small collection of parts found in the trunk:

IMG_1897.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

What are these rods with the colored ends?

IMG_1896.JPG

Overall, I 'm pleased that I now have just about everything for my convertible except for the roof and a few interior parts, but I always planned on going Legendary anyway. I probably paid way more than I should have, but now I don't have to hunt down nearly as much. It's all driver quality which is where I was headed so if I do come across NOS, upgrading is always an option. After all, this is a Resurrection, not necessarily a Restoration.

James

Last edited:
isnt that little metal "power locks" square the switch? They slide, dont they?

I'll be down tomorrow for my front frame rails

I thought so, I tried to move them but they didn't budge. Are you still looking for a stub frame? I need this to be a roller until at least the spring, lets talk then.

Back