Reverse light switch.

Do you have the part number for the middle operating lever? Mine seems to be missing, the switch works but no lever there to engage the nipple on the switch
If that lever was missing, there would be no way that you could even put the car in gear. This is the lever in the trans and not the one on the steering column.

I was answering Bill's question about using a later switch in a earlier transmission.

The back-up light switch thread I had started got vaporized with the server issues the other day. Instead of starting a new one, I figured I’d add to this one.

during my exterior LED light upgrade, I discovered my reverse light switch wasn’t functioning. Not only was the slider on the switch stuck, the ‘operating level’ was missing from the base of the
2B868A89-E60C-4571-84EA-F3610F05968D.jpeg

I obtained an OEM switch in decent condition from the interwebs. The slider is nice and smooth. Connected to the harness and manually operated it….. bright white lights at the rear! I have not had reverse lights on this car in the 27 years I have owned it. I took this opportunity to clean the old switch too. Got it freed up and working, but it is definitely not in as good of shape as the recent one. It will go into the ‘save just in case box’.
877141A8-F28F-4A32-B617-ECD0BC4FC57F.jpeg

My focus then turned to finding an NOS operating level. The FSM says this is an expendable part so I didn’t think finding a used one could be an option. There is one source out there, but the asking price was insane. Murray Park to the rescue…. He revived a used one from a disassembled steering column for me and I am expecting it any day now.

this is where I am going to try something new…. A family friend is into 3D printing. He is going to scan the used lever from Murray and try and print up some duplicates. My hope is one of the clones will work well in the column and I can save the original. I will keep you all posted on that progress when it happens.

Murray Park hooked me up with great condition reverse light pin for my column. Looking into 3D print option now for some spares. Forward progress!
B93E2E9A-0E75-41E9-91CB-ECE2283BD196.jpeg
ECEFF858-AF01-41A9-A2CC-F8F8D1F58FB2.jpeg

Making progress on this idea of 3D printing some of these. My wife’s coworker’s husband does 3D printing as a hobby and was open to taking on this challenge. He jumped right in and started with an initial design using the OEM part as a model:

6CA45267-AE8D-4CFA-8891-75BC054231C0.jpeg

this just might work!

Last edited:
Is he going to print the center pin that holds the tabs open once it is installed?

Is he going to print the center pin that holds the tabs open once it is installed?

hmmm. I don’t think I quite know what you are asking. There is a flanged center post at the bottom that I think kind of flexes inward when pushed through the hole, then pops back out once it is in. That’s the part at the bottom of the design in the pic above.

See the skinny part of the peg? That is the inner plunger. When you install it on the steering column, you hammer that skinny part down. It slides in further inside the outer portion and keeps the locks from being able to retract. That is why it is considered disposable. Once it is locked in, it is pretty difficult to pull the inner pin back out.
4AA57939-CC9B-4474-996C-66B0D0159D52.png

image.jpg

Oh man, thank you for this detail. I had no idea about that. My FSM does not have that level of detail for the install (or at least I haven’t found it yet). Thank you!

@HWYCRZR any chance you can post the rest of the reverse light switch instructions?

again, thank you for these details on this pin!

Oh this excites me, I have been hunting for that lever for over a year now, and if you are able to print these up and they are working function I will totally buy 1 or 2.

The good news is that the printable plastics are getting more durable and offer different hardness levels. The first printables were pretty brittle. Looks good

The good news is that the printable plastics are getting more durable and offer different hardness levels. The first printables were pretty brittle. Looks good

I have definitely learned a lot through this process. These are being printed in resin 3D printer. Definitely not a brittle material. It’s pretty cool to see the process in action.

Selling them?

I am still working through the prototypes. Turns out the resin we have for the model is too brittle to handle the install process. The little ‘teeth’ at the bottom that poke through the hole keep breaking. We have a new resin coming this week that allows for more flexibility/stress. Once we print up a couple of those, I will give it a test run to make sure it can handle the intended use….

long story short to your question….. but hopefully selling them soon.

There is a bunch of Guys on FABO that want them. I can be your broker!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back