Rod knock on a 383?

Newportz

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and after being an owner of my 67 Newport for 17 years, it looks like I have a serious issue with the motor. My Newport has the 383 2 bbl.

This spring on startup I noticed a tick that wasn't there in the fall. It got worse, mostly on acceleration, then would be quiet on deceleration. Then it started staying noisy at idle as well. I was hoping it was a lifter or a bent pushrod but removing the valve cover and checking gaps showed nothing. I isolated what was surely becoming more of a knock than a tick to cylinder #8. As soon as I pulled the plug wire off of the spark plug, the noise immediately went away. Today I pulled the oil pan off - there were no particles in the oil or the pan and the rod journals seem tight. I moved the crank back and forth slightly and there seems to be no play. Maybe I'm not doing this correctly?

What should I look for? Can I make a diagnosis from under the engine (still in the car)? Should I now pull the cap off and look at the bearing surfaces? How often are wrist pins a problem in these engines?

If anyone's gone through this or if there is a thread on this already, I would sure appreciate the advice.

At this point overhauling the motor or getting a used replacement are not options.

Thanks!

Tom

Curious Tom, are you in Warsaw, MO, IN, or Poland?

I'm sure Big John, 70bigblockdodge, Cantflip, or Will or one of the other seasoned mechanical wizards on the forum will be along to help you with diagnostics soon.

Pull the rod cap to check the bearing, you can also try to feel for play in the wrist pin there should be none. If the rod bearing is spun you are done, needs a crank replaced or turned and rod replaced or resized.

Pull the rod cap to check the bearing, you can also try to feel for play in the wrist pin there should be none. If the rod bearing is spun you are done, needs a crank replaced or turned and rod replaced or resized.

Hi 65sporty,

I'll try and get to it tomorrow. I'm hoping for a good news scenario where I can just replace the bearings in the car in that one cylinder. I have some spares still in Chrysler boxes. Anyway, we'll see what they look like once they're off.
If it turns out that the bearing surfaces have normal wear and aren't spun, should I look out for anything (extra lubrication) before putting the cap back on?

Hi 65sporty,

I'll try and get to it tomorrow. I'm hoping for a good news scenario where I can just replace the bearings in the car in that one cylinder. I have some spares still in Chrysler boxes. Anyway, we'll see what they look like once they're off.
If it turns out that the bearing surfaces have normal wear and aren't spun, should I look out for anything (extra lubrication) before putting the cap back on?
If the bearing looks good and the crank isn't scored that is when I would push the rod away from the crank and try to push up and pull down on the rod to feel for play in the wrist pin. The piston should move without any play in wrist pin.

Curious Tom, are you in Warsaw, MO, IN, or Poland?

I'm sure Big John, 70bigblockdodge, Cantflip, or Will or one of the other seasoned mechanical wizards on the forum will be along to help you with diagnostics soon.

Hi, I'm in Poland actually. When I moved here from Toronto in 2000, the Newport came along :) Over the years a number of Cbodies have shown up. Most recently a gorgeous 67 Fury fast top showed up last week at American Day 6 at Liberator Harley in Warsaw.
Here's a link to American Day 5 - there was a nice '69 300 at that one: American Day #5 - Cuore Foto
Cheers!

Happen to check the torque converter bolts, making sure they are tight?

Hi, I'm in Poland actually. When I moved here from Toronto in 2000, the Newport came along :) Over the years a number of Cbodies have shown up. Most recently a gorgeous 67 Fury fast top showed up last week at American Day 6 at Liberator Harley in Warsaw.
Here's a link to American Day 5 - there was a nice '69 300 at that one: American Day #5 - Cuore Foto
Cheers!

Thanks that's what I suspected. Explains getting another engine not being an option and your excellent english

Back