I pulled the 383 out of my 66 windsor

Cartel

Reaction score
and it seems pretty gritty and lots of sludge in the pan.
I was driving this thing like that...

I thought I'd upload some pictures and see what you guys think.
I pulled a main cap and there is a ridge where the oil hole in in the crank.
I was hoping for a easy refresh. probably not now.

also the oil pickup tube looks badly pitted I almost wonder if the engine sat with water in it or was in a flood?

DSC01694.JPGDSC01693.JPGDSC01692.JPGDSC01691.JPGDSC01690.JPGDSC01689.JPGDSC01688.JPGDSC01687.JPGDSC01686.JPGDSC01685.JPG

Last edited:
I have seen worse. I would start checking things with a micrometer might not be as bad as it apperars. Definately needs a good boiling out at the least

I have seen worse. I would start checking things with a micrometer might not be as bad as it apperars. Definately needs a good boiling out at the least
yes I guess I will have to strip it down completely and put it in the oven. not what I had in mind...
or find a 440 to drop in it.

What you are concerned about with the crank is just normal wear, nothing unusual. Might be able to polish the journals rather than cut them to .010" and put new .010" bearings on it.

The sludge can be the result of years of short trips (and related condensate accumulation) and possibly fewer oil changes, too. Also plan on a .030" over-bore and pistons. Check the price of a 452 stroker rotating assy, too. Might be cost-competitive to a normal rebuild! If desired, the related 4bbl upgrade can come later.

I like the bronze heli-coil type valve guide situation, rather than just knurling the guides, personally. The bronze and a chrome stem valve is supposed to be a vary good wear interface.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Those exhaust valves look kinda sunk…

does it look like hardened seat inserts?
Considering that it looks like the engine has never been apart and it appears that the exhaust valves are sitting down further into the head than they should be I would say that’s a moot point.

I pullled the cam and pistons tonight. some rod bearing look like they were up to something.
Some pistons look good, some maybe not. Not sure if that can be salvaged or not.

DSC01776.JPG
DSC01777.JPG
DSC01778.JPG
DSC01779.JPG
DSC01780.JPG
DSC01781.JPG
DSC01782.JPG
DSC01783.JPG
DSC01784.JPG
DSC01785.JPG

DSC01787.JPG
DSC01789.JPG

The rod caps have a fly cut grove in them and the bearings have holes notched in them I guess to spray oil on the piston pins?
none of the bearings I see online have that notch

Last edited:
If there’s any ring ridge at the top of the cylinders that block will need to be bored out .030 and you’ll need pistons anyway. Are all of the rings loose on the pistons? After all the years and miles on that engine it is all but guaranteed that the cylinders are not round so even if the ridge isn’t extensive at the top of the bores it will likely need the overbore just to straighten them out and make them round.

Back