Rust removal on my 66 Polara

I got the trunk rails out today and started cleaning up the inner wheel wells.
There is a lot of rust going on but nothing that can't be fixed...
I'm picking up the new trunk pan and side extensions on Monday then off on business for for the week into Mount Prospect Illinios

Well done ! Enjoy the greater chicagoland area ;)

nice work. while in mount prospect maybe you can hit the police auction
bluesmobile-front.jpg

Me too .. ballz of steel

Actually "Sheets of steel" it takes Sheets of steel to do a job like this!!!:giggle:

And when this is done, I will have proved that anyone with with the nerve to try it can do it because I have never done something like before.

And yes I did think for a short period what Commando posted but changed earlier.

At this point I'd be thinking WTF did I get myself into??? but I took a deep breath and thanks to John_A telling me about the floor pan and rails for sale has made this job so much easier to tackle!

It is going to be very time consuming... Maybe even more than the Stub Frame I did last year.

My new trunk pan arrived but was damaged. C2C Fabrication was great to deal with on the phone. they are shipping another right away although I am not ready for it.

20150206_175959.jpg

20150206_175947.jpg

20150206_175941.jpg

20150206_175935.jpg

So a quick update to my slow progress...

I have not made much progress other than getting the new to me frame rails and floor pan as you are aware of in another thread.

I have now a good Lincoln 170 mig with gas welder to work with.

I am now getting ready to tackle the rear of the trunk that spans across the tail light section.

The previous restoration had galvanized sheet metal and self tappers galoure along with bondo and tar to seal things up.
The more I clean the less metal I have to work with so I am fabbing up just about the entire section which is very slow going

i have most of my outdoor project completed so now I can get back to the car :)

And my order form Springs n' Things arrived with the new spring bushings front & back along with replacement u-bolt kit for the differential!

Here I go adding to this older thread started last January of this year.
I am finally getting back into working on the car after a long and distracted summer.

The rear frame as as close to being ready as it can be to being welded into the car now.

I added the dual exhaust bracket today which I had saved from the original floor of the car.

Primed the top side of the rear floor pan and inside the rails as well.
I just have to prep the side rails a bit first then weld it into place once its' lined up.

20151004_150053.jpg

20151004_150058.jpg

20151004_181051.jpg

BTW, if anyone knows which dimples I should be using to mount the seat belt anchors to?
There are 2 side by side on the rear of the floor pan and I don't know which ones to drill and weld the anchors to the floor.:tard:

seat belt anchor dimples.jpg

Added some satin black paint to the under side tonight. I figured it would be tons easier to paint and touch up later once ti was installed...

20151005_200921.jpg

Not for the feint-hearted.
Keep up the good work.

I am finally getting back to a concerted effort to finish the Polara

I dropped the rear frame section into place today!
I've also been rebuilding he rear wheel wells as well.

20160110_180524_Reduced.jpg

20160110_180501_reduced.jpg

20160107_203035_Reduced.jpg

Insane how much you needed to cut out. I wouldn't have the ability to keep everything braced and lined up for fabrication and assembly. Impressive.

Well the *** end fenders wise was very strong as the PO had replaced the 1/4 panels and some how managed to line them up pretty decently with the rusted underbelly.
The outer shell is in really decent shape
The car did twist a little when I lifted it up to do the work but I shimmed it level then used the door seams as a reference point.
The right side spread a bit more than the left door so I lifted the right rear up to match the left side.
This was due to the fact that the PO had not lined things up correctly when doing the 1/4's to begin with
The scariest part was when I tried to support the car with jack stands from the back of the rocker panels and the entire back end started to sag backwards!

That's how much rot and rust was under this thing.

I had to support the rear of the car from the differential then dismantle the drive train then lower it out of the way in order to maintain the rear body in alignment

One the weight of the diff and springs was gone it the pucker factor dropped drastically! :)

If everything goes well this week. I am going to test fit the C2C trunk floor & side plates and be able to offer an opinion on the quality of the floor.
It doesn't have the same depth of ribbing as the factory floor but I am not worried about that because I don't plan to enter any 100 point car shows

So far now the wheel wells have been consuming a # of hours fabricating patches and welding them into place.

Back