Sacramento County makes DIY vehicle repairs illegal

It just goes to show you what I've been bitchin about for way so long about that state, let's just put another log on the fire. Get out while you still can!!!

That Truely must not be America. :bs_flag:

I will never live in a large city, **** like this is absurd. Seat covers are illegal to put in your car, by yourself? It takes longer to install a car seat for a kid. Will those be next? Could you imagine paying a base rate at a shop to put a seat cover on? "That'll be $100, sir." Why? We have to charge a flat rate for that, shop policy, certainly you understand."

Actually that article is a bit misleading. Minor repairs are OK (on your car only), major are not. Sounds like a few bitched so they made the laws for everyone. Still, if you had a fully enclosed garage with the door closed I don't know how they could enforce, unless you had a really nosey neighbor that was a prick.
Auto Repair

Does anyone actually work on their cars anymore? I live a very middle of the road neighborhood and I'm the only one that does anything except wash his car. I do all my work in the confines of my garage so as not to rock the boat. I'm probably known as the crazy nut with the old cars.

This isn't entirely uncommon. Many laws are already on the books concerning working on cars in residential neighbourhoods. These laws are in place designed for making it illegal to run a repair service out of a garage in a residence.
I'll be dammed if anyone tells me what kind of work I can preform on my own car in my own driveway as long as its not creating a nuisance for my neighbours.

It amazes me those same political hacks in CA who create laws against someone changing a cars motor oil on their own property, turn a blind eye to all the **** and piss on their public sidewalks.

Ok so they say you can't use a torque wrench. Now I can't property tighten my lug nuts. When my wheel comes off and kills someone can I hold the city responsible?

Ok so they say you can't use a torque wrench. Now I can't property tighten my lug nuts. When my wheel comes off and kills someone can I hold the city responsible?

No, it mean's that if you get a flat in your driveway, you can't legally change it yourself!

Sounds like a combination of fake news and unenforced policy. If working in the privacy of your own garage you will not have an issue. But swapping engines under a shade tree in a sub, HOA or other visible residential area seems like what this is aimed at.
Good common sense and a grain of salt...........:rolleyes:

Ontario Canada has had laws like this but never detailed what tools a person can own...

I have never heard of anyone being fined other than a residential repair garage on the slide from time to time.
Had a nosey neighbor report that I had a full blown motorcycle repair garage on the go but in reality, I had 3 motorcycles in the garage at the time that I owned. The city officials then tried to tell me that I could only park my car in the garage!
What a bunch of HOA wannabes.
I told them to go stick it where the sun doesn’t shine.

Later the neighbor that complained tipped his hand a while later so I offered to have my Harley Davidson buddies cruise up and down the street with open pipes.
This shut him up...

The advantage of no windows in my garage!:p
Every city, county or sub I’ve lived in already has many of these regulations in place.
All a law like this does is embolden all the lookie-lou snitches that reside in every neighborhood.
But, what terrible reporting. Read the article again and still can’t figure out if you can wash your car in your own driveway or not. Can you tune-up your car or not?

This isn't entirely uncommon. Many laws are already on the books concerning working on cars in residential neighbourhoods. These laws are in place designed for making it illegal to run a repair service out of a garage in a residence.
I'll be dammed if anyone tells me what kind of work I can preform on my own car in my own driveway as long as its not creating a nuisance for my neighbours.[/
You can work on old cars, store some outside and not be a eye sore or nuisance to everyone who lives around you.
Then again you can be a slob, whose home resembles a dump with crap everywhere.
In 45 years I never had one complaint about working on my car, truck, or the 69. In fact most people walking by often ask about the old car when the garage door is open but than again my house and the grounds around it are landscaped and immaculate.

Last edited:
Before I moved out of there when the drought was strong, about 2013-14. Vacaville passed a law about wasting water where if it tracked back to your house, guess what? You got a Ticket! There's always tons of runoff all over town from those dam auto sprinklers that water everywhere except where you want it helped make it easy to track wasters. But yet the City would flood the parks every night for a hour! I was even give **** from a cop for washing my truck on the front lawn so the water wouldn't run into the street, I told him angerly, "Don't you have anything else better to do? I'm trying to save water!" He left disgusted!

Kippy: You need to go live and experience the way CA. treats it's citizens compared to others. Experience the stress your pocket book takes every month, the Freedoms that have been, and will continue to be raped from it's people. It's a real eye opener!!! That's why I left!

Man, I can't wait for my new neighbors to move into their brand new houses out here in the country.
They will so enjoy the late night burnouts by others that enjoy sharing with me. Or the 3:30 am start of a no muffler semi truck every weekday, the late night open header test sessions, the late night shooting sessions.
They will be so happy they moved into my paradise.

Before I moved out of there when the drought was strong, about 2013-14. Vacaville passed a law about wasting water where if it tracked back to your house, guess what? You got a Ticket! There's always tons of runoff all over town from those dam auto sprinklers that water everywhere except where you want it helped make it easy to track wasters. But yet the City would flood the parks every night for a hour! I was even give **** from a cop for washing my truck on the front lawn so the water wouldn't run into the street, I told him angerly, "Don't you have anything else better to do? I'm trying to save water!" He left disgusted!

Kippy: You need to go live and experience the way CA. treats it's citizens compared to others. Experience the stress your pocket book takes every month, the Freedoms that have been, and will continue to be raped from it's people. It's a real eye opener!!! That's why I left!
I understand what your saying and I get the tax part....
Ive been to many homes were guys had good size garages out back, fixed cars, even ran repair business's
They had the location and acreage to do that and they should be able to do just that.
In other neighbourhoods the houses are closer and you cannot run a car repair business in a residential neighbourhood.
I have no problem with a guy pulling a engine out of his pickup truck in his driveway, if I lived next door id probably be over there helping him, but its always the slob who doesnt care what amount of junk trash debris he has in his yard who is the reason that theses laws often are put in place.
Citing freedoms is a excuse used way to often to justify a lack of respect and common curtesy(not to mention criminal activity) lacking in society today, so red X away, thats my take on it

Please fact check the info like I did way back in post 5. Like I said, that article is very misleading. You can change your oil, tighten your lug nuts, etc, etc. What's not allowed is major repairs, removing motors in driveways, etc., leaving torn apart cars out in the open and the like. Potentially annoying but not a total Nazi state as implied.
These are considered minor repairs, all allowed, granted very poorly defined:
Minor adjustments, service, and repairs to automobiles or other passenger vehicles. Examples include but are not limited to: radiator, transmission, muffler, and brake repair, lubricant shops, diagnosis and tune-up, smog inspection, auto glass repair and installation, automotive seat covers and re-upholstery, tire sales and service, and car washes.. Shall not include body and engine work as defined in “Major Automobile Repair." (See Section 7.3 of the Zoning Code)

Back