Seeking Door card suggestions

Reaction score
One of the door panels (passenger side rear), has a good portion of the fiber board (Masonite) that got wet.
I am planning on replacing it with masonite of similar thickness, UNLESS you all have a different solution.

Suggestions welcomed!

IMG_8261.jpeg

Last edited:
There are sources to buy the backing board for the trim panel upholstery from upholstery suppliers. In a rectangle, cut to what's needed. Once cut, you can spray it with paint, FlexSeal, or similar to help it resist moisture better. Then use some thicker plastic for the water shield.

Masonite might seem like a good alternative, but it really is not. Neither is thin plywood. Seems like there was a recent thread on where to get the backing board for the trim panel in here?

If SMS can get the board to make new door panels with, SOMEBODY has to sell it to them, hence, "a source" should be somewhere Google can discover.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The original panels are a thick cardboard type stuff and that's what I've used. There is a source listed in the link below, but I see that they have a minimum order now, so another source might be in order.

I did some door panels using masonite a while ago and I was never happy with working with it. They came out fine, but I said I wouldn't use it again.

Door Panel repair

You can get it wet again and put some flat weight on it to straighten it out. Remove all the clips first. And make sure it’s very dry before installing the clips again.

Perhaps instead of using masonite, cardboard, or other organic material, you could use sheet plastic in identical/similar thickness? Such as ABS or acrylic. Buy a bulk sheet and cut to shape...

Still, a "hard" material that can be hard to glue too, much less staple into. Anything can "cover the hole", but putting the upholstery back on top of it, that can be the issue.

CBODY67

Still, a "hard" material that can be hard to glue too, much less staple into. Anything can "cover the hole", but putting the upholstery back on top of it, that can be the issue.

CBODY67
I’m going to experiment with plastic and Masonite. I can’t see spending nearly $500 for one or two door panel cards on a farm car.

IMG_0866.jpeg

This might be worth a read. Tech tip: Interior panels using plastic.

and maybe this too.

ABS Plastic and Door Panels

These are a couple threads I bookmarked a while ago.

The HAMB has all sorts of threads on stuff like this. It might be worth a search while you're there.
Thanks - that’s a good idea!

I have a 4’ x 8’ sheet of 0.060” black abs plastic that was leftover from me replacing the exterior floor of my RV. I think that I will explore your suggestions and see how it turns out.

I stiffened a floppy torn cardboard glove box with fiberglass resin. Soaked in nice. Hard as a rock. the next time I remove my door panels I will use resin to shore up the clip holes which seem to tear a bit every time.

I stiffened a floppy torn cardboard glove box with fiberglass resin. Soaked in nice. Hard as a rock. the next time I remove my door panels I will use resin to shore up the clip holes which seem to tear a bit every time.
Thanks!

I’m going to use some.060” black abs plastic (2 layers sandwiched together with 3M contact adhesive). I’m thinking about how to attach it to the metal top as it has metal prongs that bit into the fiberboard.

IMG_8491.jpeg

IMG_8492.jpeg

Thanks!

I’m going to use some.060” black abs plastic (2 layers sandwiched together with 3M contact adhesive). I’m thinking about how to attach it to the metal top as it has metal prongs that bit into the fiberboard.

View attachment 627744

View attachment 627745
I used hot melt glue. Of course, it hardened by the time I got it on the length of it, so I used a heat gun to remelt it. Seems to have worked real well.

I had some issues with my driver side window that made me keep pulling the panel off, so I glued magnets to the panel and just have a couple clips to position it. That works a lot better than it sounds.

I got the vinyl separated from the door card. You can see the damage on the bottom, due to water.
I used a putty knife and a large straight slot screwdriver to separate the door card from the top metal piece.

Now to cut the abs plastic and start making the holes in it. I will cut out two pieces and glue them together first and then make the clip and pass thru holes.

IMG_8496.jpeg
IMG_8495.jpeg

Back