Should fuel filter be dry (no fuel visible)?

53ryder

Reaction score
Been trying to get 67 Monaco running. Had rusty tank, rusted out sending unit. Tank, sending unit, fuel lines have all been replaced. Car would run but very rough. Took off aftermarket carb, Edelbrock 1406, cleaned out carb and reassembled. Still running rough. I just noticed no fuel visible in fuel filter. Does that sound normal? Why would gas be draining backwards? Bad fuel pump? Or do my fuel line connections have a leak? Filter is between pump and carb.Any ideas?

BWT...there's about 5 gallons of gas in the tank.

Glenn

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be a weak pump, I'd replace it. No sense replacing everything else and not the pump, after all, it was pumping all that rusty fuel through the rusty lines.

Replace the pump but put an additional filter (disposable type) between the tank and the pump. Debris from a rusty tank can get stuck in the pump and keep it from working properly. I had this problem on my 72 Dodge D100. I ruined two new pumps before I put the filter on the pump inlet. Amazing amount of crap got trapped in those filters.

agree with those above - could be fuel pump.

could also be a leak somewhere in the line allowing the pump to suck air.

also make sure your tank is properly vented so it doesn't create a vacuum inside the tank making it harder to pump gas.

Get a clear filter....see what's passing thru the fuel line. I have two filters, one before the pump and one just before the carb.

Yep, agree with all the above. My car sat for over a year,..and this is what I found in just the fuel filters after the car ran out of fuel and I couldn't get it started. Cut the fuel filters in half and found this. I had to replace everything. Tank was cleaned, all the lines and put in a new high flow mechanical and a Holley electric pump and 2 filters. Lucky for me I had 2 filters and the second filter had no rust in it,..or the carb would have had to be rebuilt. The original carb is no longer on the car and was replaced with a Holley 850hp.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

If I get another fuel pump should I look for one that would be compatible to the Edelbrock 1406 carb which is what came with the car, or just find a 'Dodge/Mopar' replacement pump that will work on my 383? Ebay has listed several Carter mechanical fuel pumps for under $35.00 as an example, or at Jeg's they list a Edelbrock Fuel Pump # 1723 for $144. Any idea which way would get the car running? I don't mind spending a bit extra cash if the problem is solved in the long run.

Glenn

Sure, if it's stock,..you can use any good mechanical pump. Install 2 filters,..one at the tank and the other after the fuel pump. That's the way Ive always done it and never had an issue using one pump. Using 2 pumps, run one at the tank before the electric pump,.and one before the mechanical pump.

I ordered a Carter mechanical pump from Jeg's for $51.00. Will swap out when it shows up and also check vent lines.

I'm using nothing but clear fuel filters so I can see what the fuel looks like. Using about the 4th or 5th one since this project started.

Glenn

Back