"SHOW CAR" Build Sheet

lostcause

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1966 300 and was pleased to find the broadcast sheet stuck inside the glove box, that was until I figured out it was for a different car. As you can see the S O number doesn't match my red car, neither does the VIN. On top of that it states SHOW CAR at the bottom of the sheet. Anyone ever seen this before. If this car still exists let me know.
243447749_235577628533043_6797714006269719212_n.jpg
IMG_1949.jpg
l

Last edited:
Silver over gray, if this car still exists I’d love to see it!:wideyed:

I haven't seen this with a Chrysler product. My ford station wagon says this in code on the door sticker. It was used to show the new model for 78 at auto shows. In January, 1979 it was given to a Ford executive in Detroit. I imagine this is a similar case here, but with Chrysler.

Your build sheet is missing a word. That word is "FINISH".

It was probably printed as: SHOW CAR
............................................ FINISH

and the FINISH is printed on the top of the next page below it.

There was an option called "Show car finish", which means they buffed the paint.

It wasn't uncommon on silver cars, because the silver paint tended to be a bit dull in the standard finish version.

I would have to guess that at some point both the silver car and your car were owned by the same person.

That build sheet was obviously under a seat cushion for most of it's life before it made it's way into your glove box. Sometimes you end up with a build sheet from a different car because an assembly line worker grabbed seats that were for a different car that had the same interior. That's not the case here.

Jeff

The VIN is too high for a 802 car, probably B02 November 2nd 1965. 703 is Corp Leasing - Executive so it was an Exec car.

Definitely B02, same as my car. Not sure about the missing FINISH since what you see is the bottom of the form and the next page would/should have been the start of a completely different broadcast sheet for the next car. I suppose it's possible they just left that word FINISH off by mistake. In the upper right under 708 Buff Paint slot there is an 8 for what that's worth. I suppose this sheet could have ended up in my car by other means as mentioned earlier. I guess that makes the most sense.

I would assume most show cars would be early built cars meant for the show circuit and would most likely be high optioned cars, unlike this one, but 55 years later that is a complete guess.

There was an option called "Show car finish", which means they buffed the paint.

It wasn't uncommon on silver cars, because the silver paint tended to be a bit dull in the standard finish version.

Paint color AA1 was an additional cost color. The cost was passed on through Code 708 BUFFED PAINT. BUFFED PAINT was mandatory with AA1.

66_AA1_708.jpg

Paint color AA1 was an additional cost color. The cost was passed on through Code 708 BUFFED PAINT. BUFFED PAINT was mandatory with AA1.

Show car finish must have been above and beyond buffed paint option.

There's a separate box for show car finish and it looks like there are two levels, both A and B.

Interesting that it's not filled in on the OP's build sheet.

I know that I've seen "Show Car Finish" printed on build sheets in the past, probably in magazines.

I believe Chrysler used a term along the lines of "Promotional Vehicle" for anything built specially for corporate use that would come down the line, not "Show Car". Maybe Bill or Dan would have a build sheet for one of the Promotional GT's that could shed some light on that.

Jeff

From my ‘67 Imp and has no notes at the bottom.
95BFCE38-5C79-4909-B9D2-6CCA4DAD64FC.jpeg
6009D40A-AD9B-4E1A-8C41-AC861E898692.jpeg

Interesting that the Charger above was built at Dodge Main and sold to Dodge Main. Plant Mgr. car?
“Show Car” may just mean to call special attention to all details. November would be about the time the Detroit Auto Show at Cobo Hall took place then.
My 65 Monaco build sheet shows a 704 Polish Paint code I believe std on Monaco or just the Light Gold Poly color.
A5D4D617-ACA6-4182-9619-E7717698C52E.jpeg

If the 703 does indeed mean it was built for an executive or an actual car being sent to a show then maybe they added SHOW CAR so the inspectors at the plant would give it extra scrutiny. More or less an extra CYA. Just a guess. I was a new car prep guy when I started out at Faddis Motors, the local Chrysler dealership, and if a car came off the trailer meant for the someone special I could be certain I would get a heads up from the service manager. It better be perfect.

It's interesting they charged the customer extra to buff the paint on a Dodge but not an Imperial. If I was the Dodge customer I'd be a bit miffed.

One thing is certain, when you start talking about how the cars where built, optioned, etc....nothing is certain.

Last edited:
Yes, I meant to say broadcast sheet not build sheet in my original post but I couldn't figure out how to edit the title of the post after the fact.

From the ‘67 Imp data book.
FEEBF452-957C-471D-9090-506A4ABDD718.jpeg

Up in the top right corner of the sheet "Fleet/bid/lease 70" has code 3 under it. I've tried to search and have no idea what that code means, but the answer should tell you something. A show car used for display would have never went to a dealership, been leased etc... The Ford code for my "Show car" wagon decodes into "Transportation services," maybe this would fall under "Fleet" for Chryslers? Does a "Fleet" vehicle necessarily have to be built for someone else's fleet? Unless there is another code for Chryslers that were built for use by the company.
It would be a good idea to start tracking down past owners of your own car to see who put this in the glovebox if you really want an answer.

Last edited:
… A show car used for display would have never went to a dealership, been leased etc... The Ford code for my "Show car" wagon decodes into "Transportation services," maybe this would fall under "Fleet" for Chryslers? Does a "Fleet" vehicle necessarily have to be built for someone else's fleet? Unless there is another code for Chryslers that were built for use by the company.
It would be a good idea to start tracking down past owners of your own car to see who put this in the glovebox if you really want an answer.

Actually..most if not all “show cars”, “public relations cars”, “internal and executive order cars” and “Pilot” cars were, after intended use, sold at dealerships across the US & Canada.

It could have been used by the advertising department, promotion department etc. it’s not that uncommon.

Last edited:
Back