Slant headlight models...

wetskier2000

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I understand that the 1961/62 Chryslers with the slanted headlights as in the pic below have varying fender lengths depending upon the model(s). Anyone know which models are long fenders and which are shorter? Even better, know the length difference and where it is in the fender? thanks!

1961_Chrysler_Nose.jpg

It would be best to look online or in the factory catalogs for 1961-2 for accurate applications and dimensional differences but for 1961 both the New Yorkers and the 300G models got the longer fenders - I am not sure which ones the Saratogas, Windsors or Newports got. For 1962 the New Yorkers got the longer fenders but the 300H got the short ones this time. Again, I am not sure which ones the other models got. The increase in length for the long ones was between the fender opening and the doors compared to the shorter models but it would likely be a good guess that at least the Newports got the shorter fenders and maybe the Windsors too.

I own a 1960 300F and a 1962 Chrysler 300H and the difference between the long wheelbase and the shorter ones is surprising. I believe there were spring rate and other changes between my 2 letter cars but overall the shorter wheelbase 300H is much more nimble and more of a pleasure overall to drive in cornering maneuvers than the F. They felt like totally different vehicles in that regard.

Last edited:
Long WB is 61-62 New Yorker and 61 300G
all others models are short WB

the front suspension rebuild parts and engine mounts are different short and long also.

This is a huge help, guys! I see the 1961 300G is 126" wb and the 1961 Newport is 122" WB. I think I can see the difference in these two pics...

Chrysler+300+G+sideview+Mecum.png

s-l1600.jpg

Open the hood and look at the front of the radiator. There is a big space on a long WB car, the short WB the grill is very close to the radiator.

If I'm correct, first year for the Newport was '62.
As a regular production option the Newport models began in 1961. There were other models much earlier ranging from a show car in 1940 and some sub-models with that name in the 1955 era that implied a 2 door hardtop model.

As a regular production option the Newport models began in 1961. There were other models much earlier ranging from a show car in 1940 and some sub-models with that name in the 1955 era that implied a 2 door hardtop model.
I am aware of the older models being called Newport if they were a 4-door. However, I just remembered knowing a man who owned a '61 Newport in Bakersfield years ago. He was going to give me the car until he heard me telling his Nephew that I would love to drop a 400 and 4-Speed into it. (It had the 3-speed.) Oh no! He'd let it sit since 1973 when he replaced it with a Dart, but God forbid someone try to customize the sitting car!

The car he replaced with the Newport was an early '50s DeSoto; it sat in front of the Newport. He stopped driving some time after the Dart, otherwise....

I understand that the 1961/62 Chryslers with the slanted headlights as in the pic below have varying fender lengths depending upon the model(s). Anyone know which models are long fenders and which are shorter? Even better, know the length difference and where it is in the fender? thanks!

View attachment 599460
Another key difference in the grill is that in 61 the letters to spell out CHRYSLER are embossed into the upper portion of the grill, and no such letters appear on 62 grills.

Awhile ago there was a 61 Newport 4 door on Bakersfield Craigs list 3spd floor shift car.
No motor or trans $800
White in color if I remember right?
Perhaps the same car.
I am aware of the older models being called Newport if they were a 4-door. However, I just remembered knowing a man who owned a '61 Newport in Bakersfield years ago. He was going to give me the car until he heard me telling his Nephew that I would love to drop a 400 and 4-Speed into it. (It had the 3-speed.) Oh no! He'd let it sit since 1973 when he replaced it with a Dart, but God forbid someone try to customize the sitting car!

The car he replaced with the Newport was an early '50s DeSoto; it sat in front of the Newport. He stopped driving some time after the Dart, otherwise....

Back