So I'm starting to regret the 3.90 rear

Just get taller rear tires. Like a 255/70-15. Near 29" it'll get ya closer to where you wanna be faster than a gear swap. Those tires with a 3.91 rear will get you an effective gear ratio of 3.39. Still be fun, but be able to cruise with a slightly raised rpm.

I'm running that tire with 3.23's and my effective ratio is 2.81. I'm on the hunt for 3.73's to get me where I want to be.

I might have a 3.73... I'll look.

What would be my overall ratio with my 2.76 with 225x75x15?

3.90's make pulling out into the small gaps on the traffic jammed state highway soooo much more easy. but then with a 6bbl being only able to pass a dozen or so gas stations not so much fun.

:p:p:p:p:p:p

Don't know about that; I'm still running 2.76 gears and I can burn rubber all day.View attachment 282373

Mag, I'm not surprised you don't like those 3.91s; that's a HUGE jump! If you find another 3.23 third member, they are not hard to change. Just make sure you are getting one for a C Body, as the U-joints are larger.
Dr. Diff sells a u joint that joins a big’un to a little’un for about 30 bucks. I had a small shaft(insert wiener joke here) and a big yoke and got an adapter u-joint from them. Works great, handles all of my hooligan **** just fine and it has zerk fittings! They do a bunch of mopar stuff(as well as other brands) and their customer service is top notch.

I do not intend to thread hi-jack but this subject is right up my alley.

I am building a 76 Dodge Aspen
360, 9:1 compression, and was considering 2.45 gears with my A833 OD (3.09 first gear) -I just want a daily driver cruiser as this isn’t my only Mopar, but first mopar build (cheap)

All of the Forabodiesonly guys suggest 3.73’s and basically a 268 cam.

I don’t want to be sporty, just cruise San Antonio and drive every day.

I was thinking XE-256 cam with those gears.

I thought that many C bodies came with 2.76 or other highway gears.?.

360, 9:1 compression, and was considering 2.45 gears with my A833 OD (3.09 first gear) -I just want a daily driver cruiser as this isn’t my only Mopar, but first mopar build (cheap)

XE 256 = perfect for what you’re describing. With the OD trans. I’d consider something in the 3.23 area. It will have good pick up and still cruise.

2.45 and a OD trans will make it really tall. I have 275/60 15 with 3.23 and a 833 OD trans and I'm at 2200 at 70-75

So many people talk about highway or interstate driving. Big difference in my book. The state just raised the speed limit on many of the local highways to 65. Our interstate system is 75, most run 80-85, you get run over if you don't.
My Polara with 1975 HP 440 and a NOS Thermoquad and 2.76 gears can run 90 all day long if I wish. With the TTI exhaust and TQ and the 2.76, I can hear that TQ howl for a long time!

Our interstate system is 75, most run 80-85, you get run over if you don't.
My Polara with 1975 HP 440 and a NOS Thermoquad and 2.76 gears can run 90 all day long if I wish.

Very happy you like your gear ratio.:)
If I was on the highway with no speed limits only I would do the same!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
So many people talk about highway or interstate driving. Big difference in my book. The state just raised the speed limit on many of the local highways to 65. Our interstate system is 75, most run 80-85, you get run over if you don't.
My Polara with 1975 HP 440 and a NOS Thermoquad and 2.76 gears can run 90 all day long if I wish. With the TTI exhaust and TQ and the 2.76, I can hear that TQ howl for a long time!
I just completed a voyage in my 360 727 2.76 225/75 15 c body. First time for me and it together at sustained interstate speeds. (75-80) I was going to switch rear gears to 3.23s but am now re-thinking it. The 2.76 was mighty comfortable at that speed but, I could tell that anything lower would be compromising that comfort. There just aren’t enough gears in our old transmissions to have it all!

The sweet spot can be moved around to suit taste.
It’s all about compromise. Seems to me Ma Mopar had it right when she put 2.76 gears in these C bodies. They shine their best when out on the interstate.
I always want to drop a lower gear in something to get a better take off but, as I’ve gotten older, jack rabbit starts aren’t as important as they used to be.
Still, if I had just one more speed....
The drag racing stuff is best left to a crowd that has a lighter platform to begin with!

Yup ,off the line brutally ain't my thing no more as it used to be. After leaving I want effortless acceleration that pushes me way back in those overstuffed seats and the engine not getting winded.

The state just raised the speed limit on many of the local highways to 65. Our interstate system is 75, most run 80-85, you get run over if you don't.

If you don’t keep up on a lot of these US interstates, you WILL be run off the road and that’s a fact. Especially getting into the Northern Midwest or Chicago, LA, etc Its ruthless out there.

The last thing you need is your C Body to be screaming 4500 RPMS with no more available power at 65 mph, and the rest of traffic is flying past you at 90+

If you don’t keep up on a lot of these US interstates, you WILL be run off the road and that’s a fact. Especially getting into the Northern Midwest or Chicago, LA, etc Its ruthless out there.

The last thing you need is your C Body to be screaming 4500 RPMS with no more available power at 65 mph, and the rest of traffic is flying past you at 90+
I drove a 73 Polara with a 400 and 3.55 gears before I got my 72 on the same route I mentioned above. At those speeds (70+),the difference between a 2.76 and 3.55 is crazy. Gains in off the line acceleration are quickly overshadowed when a load of teenagers pass you by in a Kia and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Back