Something new for the shop

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
An old canister-style vacuum cleaner! It's 1970-ish, and very much like what I had when I had a detailing business in 1977 while in high school. Pretty cool! Has a bunch of character-adding decals...and boy, does this suck! I'll throw a couple of more pics up tomorrow. I like old tools that can actually be fixed, if they break down. My 15-yo Home Depot shop vac is one that can't be overhauled, if the motor brushes burn up, for example. This beast can be, if ever needed. Plus, it's old-school cool, to me.

Pullman Vac-mobile.

20210615_201127.jpg

20210615_201117_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:
The guy I got it from had it for 20 years, and figured it was at least 20-25 years old when he bought it. I need to research a copper tag on it to see exactly who made it and such.

There is a data tag on the side of the canister that reads "Pullman Vacuum Cleaner Corporation, Boston 15, Mass"...so it's definitely before 1963, when the Post Office adopted the ZIP Code system and the current two-letter state abbreviations. Pretty cool!

Plus, it's the same Pullman of rail coach and rail car fame.

Last edited:
There is a data tag on the side of the canister that reads "Pullman Vacuum Cleaner Corporation, Boston 15, Mass"...so it's definitely before 1963, when the Post Office adopted the ZIP Code system and the current two-letter state abbreviations. Pretty cool!

Plus, it's the same Pullman of rail coach and rail car fame.

Really ? The same Pullman as the train stuff?
How much did this find set you back ?

That's badass! The new ones we use in the restoration industry are Pullman-Holt. They look about the same but the bodies are plastic and take HEPA filters. Best vacuums you can buy. Very cool find!

Really ? The same Pullman as the train stuff?
How much did this find set you back ?

Would you believe eighty bucks? The new versions of this vacuum from Pullman-Holt run anywhere from $1,500 and up.

Found it on a hot-rod group on faceplant market-hump.

I'll take some 0000 steel wool and chrome polish this afternoon after work and tackle the brightwork on this, in air-conditioned comfort in my house!

I never find cool stuff like that NEVER!
Ya ain't look'in hard enough mate... I picked up a used one of these puppies over a decade ago from the Space Shuttle shutdown via a local (Orlando) government liquidator on eBay. Formally owned by Johnson Controls, forget about 'HEPA' the one I got is 'ULPA' trouble is the final ULPA filter of the 3 stage filtration system is $250 to replace. At the time the new list price was $1,700, now I've seen they have gone up (OMG). Glad it was a local pickup as they tried to gipp me with one of the other vac's (3) that didn't have the hose and were filthy, I had the auction print out to set them straight on that, the one I got was clean as a whistle.
Winning bid... snipe'd @ $150.00

06-16-21.Nilfisk GM811 Vacuum Cleaner.www.sylvane.com.jpg

Mom had a Rainbow vac years ago, she swore by that machine, which lasted her over twenty years. I think my sister has that now. It was the fact it used water is why it it was so spectacular, IIRC.

How much better are these compared to a rainbow?
Overpriced plastic unit vs. commercial metal built unit, not too hard to figure out.

I use to use a very large Mastercraft vacuum like this Pullman at the hospital, 3 stage HEPA, with a filter so large that you would test it for how dirty/clogged it was with a flow meter.
I wasn't a popular guy with the budget department in 2005 when I pointed out the sticker on the filter said it was last tested in 1998...
Their solution was to give me a new cheapazz backpack NilFisk HEPA, said the Mastercraft was too loud, they didn't like my response too that with "Ya kno they make Museum & Library quiet versions". I told them I'm not putting that on my back (look foolish) and put it on the top of my cart but didn't strap it down, first fall off the cart the plastic broke, ooops! HA HA!.... Idiots, this was all in response to a 'Dust Mitigation' class we had to attend as a result of the State almost de-certifying the hospital as 'Survey Says' 9 out of 10 patients came down with something they didn't have when the entered the hospital.

Years ago they wouldn't allow you to use a vacuum in a hospital, everything was tile or linoleum, hard surface to be washed down. Then came carpets for a more pleasing/calming environment & HEPA vacs.

Back