For Sale sorry, not a C body, but WOW. 68 Hemi GTX convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all I have. It is stupid money for the car and why because it is one of a handful? So what it is still just a car. My car is one of 300 and change with a gator grain top, take out the small blocks, the number of brown cars and column shifted, never fully restored and it runs. So it becomes worth big money if you crunch numbers? No, missing the S in the VIN and some badges, but if the right people say it wow magic. It is still a car with a lot of pedestrian roots. Not saying it will not get big $$$ it is just not my thing to pay extra money for a car that looks like a 318 Satellite. Don't try and explain it I don't care it is still a mass produced car nothing more.
But this is a Hemi and a 4 speed, it's the stuff legends are made of quite literally.

But this is a Hemi and a 4 speed, it's the stuff legends are made of quite literally.
I get that. If/when it gets restored it will be a museum piece and with no documentation or exciting stories from previous owner/owners to legend is lacking. With the big price tag it will not be making new ones.

Your Haggerty evaluation you posted was for a hardtop GTX.

The convertible comes back at $197k plus 10% for a 4-speed.

I think that is a bit light.

FYI there were only 30 1968-70 Hemi b-body Convertibles made with a 4speed tranny. Of those only 4 are known to (including this one) retain their original drivetrains.

Pretty exclusive club.

I think that is a fair price for the car.

Dave

Dave,

The Hagerty valuation is more for insurance purposes...I posted a true market value of this car from the Mecum auction just last month and it was a 19,000 original mile car.

I think that set the benchmark until the next one sells. Could it go over 200g's? sure. but until that happens, a 68 RS27J is worth 180g's.

Mario

Dave,

The Hagerty valuation is more for insurance purposes...I posted a true market value of this car from the Mecum auction just last month and it was a 19,000 original mile car.

I think that set the benchmark until the next one sells. Could it go over 200g's? sure. but until that happens, a 68 RS27J is worth 180g's.

Mario

I would say that car was well bought if it how it was described. A guy on Moparts actually purchased it. He said with the fees it came to $198k.

My point is that if you are in the market for a Hemi 4-speed Convertible 1968-70 B-body that happens to be matching numbers that is what I would expect to pay for a project.

Here are the production numbers for USA Spec Hemi 4-Speed Convertible B-Bodies:

1968 Coronet R/T - 1
1968 GTX - 12
1969 Coronet R/T - 4
1969 RR - 4
1969 GTX - 5
1970 Coronet R/T - 1
1970 RR - 1
= 28 cars in total

The other cars on the list would be even more money.

Of those 28 only 4 are known to have their original drivetrains intact.

Dave

Of those 28 only 4 are known to have their original drivetrains intact
I'll bet those 4 are some real "fun cars" to and from the trailer.
If one of those 4 owners does drive it more than 1500 mi a year my apologies and they have my respect. A high dollar car that sits and inflates the ego of the owner is boring. If I had had one of these cars it would have been gone ten years ago and i would have bought a couple of formals, a couple of slabs a couple more 318 B or E bodies and transplanted what ever engine I want into them all the while not being afraid to scratch, nick, road chip and drive them.

If one of those 4 owners does drive it more than 1500 mi a year my apologies and they have my respect. A high dollar car that sits and inflates the ego of the owner is boring. If I had had one of these cars it would have been gone ten years ago and i would have bought a couple of formals, a couple of slabs a couple more 318 B or E bodies and transplanted what ever engine I want into them all the while not being afraid to scratch, nick, road chip and drive them.
I don't disagree with you there Dave.:thumbsup:

I guess that's why they make more than one car. If everyone had the same views and did the same thing that would be quite boring. If you can't appreciate the lengths that Mopar went to race on Sunday and brought that out to the street don't. I was just trying to give you some insight as to why it was priced where it was at $100k. If you want to price your assets in life for under market value...that is your option.

Dave

I guess that's why they make more than one car. If everyone had the same views and did the same thing that would be quite boring. If you can't appreciate the lengths that Mopar went to race on Sunday and brought that out to the street don't. I was just trying to give you some insight as to why it was priced where it was at $100k. If you want to price your assets in life for under market value...that is your option.

Dave
?????
I don't mean to disparage your cars I'm just merely saying I do not get the feeling or passion I guess that people must get from owning a one of one. I'm not sure how you made the leap to me wanting to undervalue my assets but my Challenger is worth more to me in the times I have enjoyed in the car than the actual cash value, period. My 12 yo son and I building a 68 Charger, a nothing car 383-2, long gone. He is learning a lot. He negotiated some prices on some interior pieces at the Nats then installed them when we got home. I'm enjoying the time with him and the car. I have no previous history with the car, most I ever drove it was a couple hundred yards, so we are building that as well, the first time we go for a real ride in it will be together. As far as value goes, who cares, that will be for him to figure out hopefully long after I'm gone. That's what cars are about not numbers.

If everyone had the same view as me that car would be worth a lot less sorry pedigree is wasted on me.

Last edited:
HEAR, HERE!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Why do you think that is why this is so expensive?
I don't know, I'm a mutt, my dog is a mutt, my cars are mutts. If it was a survivor in decent to nice condition that's where real value is, the car was put together in 1968 and has stayed together and maintained to make it to present day, the car in the ad has not done this. If it has good documentation, would be nice, and add value as well, original owner, selling dealer, etc. You can build this car out of a Satellite conv. and a crate Hemi for less than the asking price, only thing you are lacking is the VIN and bragging rights. If that means that much to you more power to you, it's still lost on me. I have to agree with Will the 66 Hemi Coronet is a better car and I would still rather rent it than have the responsibility of owning it.

Did some1 say Hemi Belvedere 4d? :) :) Sry for fin language, but that is document of it first register at Finland.
_full.jpg

_full.jpg

fixed it for ya :poke:
Personally, I think pulling that drivetrain for a C-body would be a step toward evening things up toward all the drivetrains pulled from C-bodies (so that the rest of the car could be derbied).
Dave,

Mario
If there are so few of these cars, I don't think the sale of one can say what the next one is worth. At that point the cars, and buyers, are so few/far between that each sale is based on the whims of the seller and whatever buyer might be available. A guy might pay more as there is 'none' left to pick from, or he might pay less because the last one was the one he really wanted. Just no way to predic how the emotions will run.

Personally, I think pulling that drivetrain for a C-body would be a step toward evening things up toward all the drivetrains pulled from C-bodies (so that the rest of the car could be derbied
Would be bad *** in a 68 300 fast top
But a 528" and a TKO600 would be better and leave that one for the museum.

I've found this thread entertaining. While I think all Mopars are cool, I just can't see spending that kind of money on one car.

How many Newps could I buy with $100K?

The stories attached to the cars are priceless to me.

I'm not comparing my cars to any others but:

My Silver Custom 2DHT has:

H-code 383 4bbl with dual exhaust
Front disc brakes
A/C
Cornering lights
Dual mirrors
Bucket seats w/console and performance gauge
Safeguard Sentinel headlights
AM/FM Searchtune radio w/reverberator
Silver Mist Metallic paint (special order I've been told)
Tilt-O-Scope steering column (for a floor shift car)
Crank windows and vent windows
Maplight
Fender mounted turn signal indicators

How many were built with those exact same options?

All of that and it's worth maybe $5K if I could ever get myself to sell it.
(and find the right *** for the seat)

Upon inspection, it's obvious that my car was in a number of accidents and repaired over the years before I got it.

Mismatched paint, a very well done quarter panel and trunk floor replacement, original gas tank(now replaced) that was pushed in where the quarter panel was replaced, center grille emblems installed upside down, etc.

It was used in a flop movie and caught fire at the voltage regulator while filming a traffic jam scene.

That's what makes this car precious and unique to me.

While I've always appreciated Hemi muscle cars, I'd take a hundred '67 Newports in all conditions, options, etc. before I would consider dropping $100K on any one car.

Well, maybe $50K on Newps and $50K on a cool place to keep them.

But unlike everyone else on this forum, I'm insane. :thumbsup:

Hope my insanity is entertaining.

John

IMG_0199_1.JPG

I've found this thread entertaining. While I think all Mopars are cool, I just can't see spending that kind of money on one car.

How many Newps could I buy with $100K?

The stories attached to the cars are priceless to me.

I'm not comparing my cars to any others but:

My Silver Custom 2DHT has:

H-code 383 4bbl with dual exhaust
Front disc brakes
A/C
Cornering lights
Dual mirrors
Bucket seats w/console and performance gauge
Safeguard Sentinel headlights
AM/FM Searchtune radio w/reverberator
Silver Mist Metallic paint (special order I've been told)
Tilt-O-Scope steering column (for a floor shift car)
Crank windows and vent windows
Maplight
Fender mounted turn signal indicators

How many were built with those exact same options?

All of that and it's worth maybe $5K if I could ever get myself to sell it.
(and find the right *** for the seat)

Upon inspection, it's obvious that my car was in a number of accidents and repaired over the years before I got it.

Mismatched paint, a very well done quarter panel and trunk floor replacement, original gas tank(now replaced) that was pushed in where the quarter panel was replaced, center grille emblems installed upside down, etc.

It was used in a flop movie and caught fire at the voltage regulator while filming a traffic jam scene.

That's what makes this car precious and unique to me.

While I've always appreciated Hemi muscle cars, I'd take a hundred '67 Newports in all conditions, options, etc. before I would consider dropping $100K on any one car.

Well, maybe $50K on Newps and $50K on a cool place to keep them.

But unlike everyone else on this forum, I'm insane. :thumbsup:

Hope my insanity is entertaining.

John

View attachment 115105
That's a good looking car. Bucket seats and console?, nice. Any interior pics?

Some of you guys are missing the point of owning this car. Since I was something like 12 years old I wanted a 71 HEMI Cuda convertible. In 1978 I had no way of knowing that they made only 13 or so. I was always looking on the road or in the magazines. I always thought the nose was cool, I loved convertibles and of course a legendary engine. If I had the coin and still had the passion for one I would buy one (and drive it). Of course Id be up against some other heavy hitters to buy one.
It has nothing to do with one of anything. It has nothing to do with bragging rights. It has nothing to do with monetary value or investment. It is simply out of want or an undying need to have one, to many anyway.

Ive lost that gotta have one feeling as the years went on. As I got older I evolved and Mopar Dave became C body Dave which became Polara Dave , but I know what the feeling is like as I know I would over pay for what I want because it is.........well, what I want and that my friends is what makes me happy.

AND thats what this is all about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back